• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your opinion on why Game based Movies usually fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I have been thinking about the game based movies like Tekken, DOA, King of Fighters which have been receiving low ratings.

In my opinion, they fail because they cannot capture the actual fun of the game, they change the EPIC storylines and the actors aren't fit for the challenge to copy the epicness of the game characters.
Well some game based movies are successful like Prince of Persia and I hope Warcraft Movie(might have a large chance of failing because the actual company who developed wouldnt be making it)

Now, you as a gamer, what do you say?

Note: DAMNED TROLLS (someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community) WOULD BE REPORTED

Level 4
My idea :
1. That games are fix, cannot be changed, use absolutely no brain to play. (Absolutely ?)
2. They're always not as great as movies.
3. Many games based on movies make us confused with both movies and games.
4. Waste more money to buy and play those games.
5. One-game end (Everyone play no more after winning the game as it still be the same.)

Red

Red

Level 26
The producers know that just by putting the game's name on a movie, it's basically guaranteed to sell to a great deal of unsuspecting players, and they can just half-ass the movie from there. I'll bet half of these twats never even played the games, they're just out for a quick dirty dollar, and they're more than happy to prey on the players and the franchise itself for it.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
This can be for so many reasons. I can think of some.
- The games they were based on were legendary, and so the general expectations were bound to scrape the sky.
- Games have room for so much more story than a film could ever compress to 2 hours.
- Relying merely on special effects, forgetting completely the importance of good actors and scenes where they can express their talent.
- Unability to be creative as the game in question has a strict storyline.
- Really talented directors/producers isn't interested in game-based movies.
I think I can add some to the list but I don't have the energy to do it.
The producers know that just by putting the game's name on a movie, it's basically guaranteed to sell to a great deal of unsuspecting players, and they can just half-ass the movie from there. I'll bet half of these twats never even played the games, they're just out for a quick dirty dollar, and they're more than happy to prey on the players and the franchise itself for it.
This is also a valid point which I honestly belive in, call me a sucker if you want to.

Level 12
Game's are tailored to a certain audience, were movies have to try and capture many peoples attention.

A new copy of a game costs $50 or more, were as a movie ticket costs 5-15, so they have to sell more then 5 tickets to beat the price of 1 game disk being sold.

Movies in general just cost too much to produce to tailor to the people who like a certain type of game. If a movie was made about Halo, it wouldn't sell because it's only tailored to people who like the vast story behind it, were as a movie set in the future were humanity is under attack by 2 alien races and one super-soldier saves the entire galaxy, it would be more interesting to a larger population, but it would be able to hold onto Halo's ideals.

Level 7
-The main reason why games based on movies suck is the fact that they normally have only a couple of weeks to make a game.
-The voice acting is normally done by the actors, which are not as good as professional voice actors. Voices must be interesting to listen to.
-The anims suck (most of the time)
-The gameplay downright is too monotone, normally just mindless fighting... Which can be amusing, but not when movie-games.
-There're more things, but i can't think of some right now.

Level 12
The actors almost never look anything like the characters they represent and I think that its incredibly hard to make a good story for game movies because either 2 things can happen:

1.The movie strays way off the game. Which makes the people that play the game angry.

2.The movie is exactly like the game in story and makes it not fun to watch because you know what will happen when who will die etc.

Also the destroyer (also knows as Uwe Boll) made it like a common thing for movies about games to suck.

Silent Hill is the only movie I like. Tomb Raider is kinda meh.

Level 21
Most people say that the movies based on games sucked, like very bad food that has gone rotten.
Super Mario Bros the Movie, never did anything with the game, but it was still terrible despite it trying to hard. Nothing can compare to Mario's longtime game of the whole Hero saving Princess from Dragon scenario.

All these movie ideas should stop, but not saying most of the ideas are terrible, but they should take time to study the game first, instead of making something random which makes no sense at all.

Level 11
Idk... i rather enjoyed the LOTR games....

but as for others... i really don't know why, but i'm just gonna throw stuff in there :p

Maybe because the games are rushed to come in time to be released the same time the movie does, and i guess that will cause the game to follow the schedule of the film, and it could cause many things bad to happen.

Maybe its just a way movies can make more money by selling a "Movie Based" game.. but all they want to see is money despite the quality of the game, so they just throw stuff together and call it a game based on the movie...

EDIT : Whoops... just realized this is for game based movies.... NOT movie based games.... sorry,

Level 10
I like the Silent Hill movie, and the games. But I still like the games better.
Reason:
A typical game these days spends some time on mood and storytelling, and some time on actual gameplay possibly including action and puzzles. The gameplay and story are each others' glue, and both make the cross-product last longer. It's this longevity and slow unravelling of an original game plot that makes me enjoy games more than movies. Films are too short :)

But some movies have so many different elements that basing a game around them is difficult without having too many and too long cutscenes, or resorting to some dissatisfactory compromises like leaping over huge parts of the original plot, or sticking closely to the movie, but inserting some senseless scenes of monotonous gameplay. I personally found all the LOTR video games that I've played to lack all the epicness due to heavy use of compromises and a simplistic gameplay that had very little to do with what the story has to offer.

A tailored game and plot transforms game mechanics into plot devices, and plot devices into game mechanics. But I think action, sci-fi, and fantasy that isn't based on games, has lately shown inspiration drawn from games, nonetheless, which is by the way interesting, and a bit of a shame in my opinion, because those movies could offer more if they weren't restrained by game thinking. Perhaps producers behind such movies are hoping they will be game-atized for more money, or simply win more of the gaming audience. Just a wild guess to explain my personal observation.

Level 3
Can't decide Indiana the movies or the games :D i like both but still for the rest :p

You can't fit a days/weaks of play in 2-4 hours movie and get all . [Some of like Details]
So goes for the story .
And that the game is mass selling they put some "dummy" movie with no effort to generate aditional money .

Status
Not open for further replies.