• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

XP or Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
I heard that windows XP used some sort of X9 videocard? and vista used X10 so most older games run on X9 and dont support X10 as does X10 not support X9 .. you will be able to only play 2 games (i heard) because there are only 2 games nowusing X10 .. (i have no idea what X9 and 10 is xD)

here is a list of games which are working/not working.
The site is on german, but you only need to know what the colors mean.
Dark Green - läuft = Runs without any problems
Light Green - läuft = Runs, but smaller problems or tricks necessarily
Orange - läuft = Runs for some users or only very bad
Red - läuft nicht = does not run Run (absolutly not working ^^)

Original Post (German)
Google Translated Post (English)

Level 21
I heard that windows XP used some sort of X9 videocard? and vista used X10 so most older games run on X9 and dont support X10 as does X10 not support X9 .. you will be able to only play 2 games (i heard) because there are only 2 games nowusing X10 .. (i have no idea what X9 and 10 is xD)

you mean direct x which is often sortened to DX. it is a rendering system used be nearly all games now and it is developed by microsoft, if you have played half life you may have heard of open gl which is an alternative to Direct X but isnt as popular anymore.

this is what i know about the situation, correct me if any of it is wrong:

Direct X 10 graphics card are required to run a Direct X 10 game, this is Nvidia 8000 series or some radeon thing which hasnt been released yet. you cannot run a DX10 game on any other graphics card

i think you need vista to install DX10, i read this somewhere and i dont know how true it is.

one of the two games you mentioned might be Rainbow 6 vegas, which i read has a DX10 option, i havent played the game so i cant confirm this.

DX10 is needed for alot of new games including crysis and alan wake.

you can run DX9.c or less games on a DX10 card.

Level 36
Yes, here's the deal, DX10 is backwards compatible with DX9, so you can play DX9 games with a DX10 card. However, the setup is so different that instead of just installing the latest version of DX on your computer like we've been doing for how long, Nvidia and ATI had to completely create new videocards that supported the new DX version. So this is why you need a DX10 card to play a DX10 game, where in the past, as long as you had the latest version of DX installed, you were fine.

Yes, here's the deal, DX10 is backwards compatible with DX9, so you can play DX9 games with a DX10 card. However, the setup is so different that instead of just installing the latest version of DX on your computer like we've been doing for how long, Nvidia and ATI had to completely create new videocards that supported the new DX version. So this is why you need a DX10 card to play a DX10 game, where in the past, as long as you had the latest version of DX installed, you were fine.

i dont think they will create completly new cards in order to use DX10. A new driver will solve that problem.

If not, do they really want me to buy:
1. Vista
2. The Game
3. New Video Card?!

GST_Nemisis said:
i think you need vista to install DX10, i read this somewhere and i dont know how true it is.
yea thats true.
You can only updrade to DX10 when you have Vista (or it only runs on Vista? I dont know)
Anyway DX10 wont be released for XP. All they want is, that all the gamers buy vista.... They're Evil !

Level 21
i also read that people are trying to make a hack where the system bypasses alot of the new things DX10 has so that a DX10 game can be played on a DX9 card. for example if there is a new lighting system then the lights will simply not exist but it will still be able to run the game. i dont think this will work but some people obviously arent willing to buy a new card and vista...

Status
Not open for further replies.