• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Would this overwhelm you ? Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi,
im new here and i hope in the right section.
I'm planning for Reforge a 12 vs. 12 Rpg Map with an unique Style and a lot of Features.
My Question is as above mentioned. What can i improve? (Name, new stats, too much..?)
Any Ideas ?

Thanks in advance

-------------------------------------------------
Edit,overview:
- All classes base damage based on Agi.
- Spell stats only benefits from Str, Agi and Int points.
- All Spells are custom and describe what they want for stats.
- Class Selection // (maybe tavern) --> display class stats/suggestions etc.
- Maybe Items uses secondary stats for skills

...but in the end i want that the player have xx choices to make a build that fits for every playstyle - through Items, Stats choice, Skill choice etc.

-------
Each Lv. +5 Stat Points
Max. Lv. 80 = 400 Stat Points
Hard Cap 50% --> max. 50% Crit. Chance etc. ~ with stats

-------
MAIN STATS
-------
- Stamina (Str) // Survival
+20 Life / +0.02 Hp reg
-every x points

+Evade (spell or aa)
+Block (absorb damage)​

- Agility (Agi) // AA base dmg ALL classes & physically spells
+1.5 Base Dmg
-every x points

+(Hitrate?)
+Phys. Crit Damage
+Phys. Critical Chance​

- Intellect (Int) // Magical Spells will be based on Int
+2 Spell Dmg, +0.02 Mp reg.
-every x points

+Mana
+Mag. Crit Damage
+Mag. Critical Chance​
-------
SECONDARY STATS
-------
- Haste // DPS all
Attackspeed / Movespeed / (Cast Speed)
-every x points

+Cooldown/ refresh chance on attack/spell​

- Luck //RNG
Droprate for rare drops / (proc. rate?)

- Wisdom // Survival all
healpower and Hp / Mp reg
-every x points

+Phys/Magic. life/mana steal​

- Havoc // DPS all
flat pure bonus damage
-every x points

+Skills/Base Attack increased Damage in %

Last edited:
Level 8
Not at all. Very clear even.

Some marginal things:
Main stats should do something additional, i say this because they seem just like a secondary stat, otherwise they should just be secondary. If primary stats will make skills scale, then they become pointless on their current effect (damage of a given ability will scale anyways). So why not doing this (so you can use the hero stat info card and tooltips): 3 stats for 3 different types of abilities, ie. 1)Technique/Physical skills; 2) Spell/Arcane skills, and 3) Holy/Soul/Mystic/Placeholder skills. So in the end each stat will increase the effects of a certain ability type and maybe controlling another thing.
Otherwise, i think Stamina should add HP and MP (this will recquire triggers, as str only gives HP, but remember there is a new function that adds maximum Mana) so players can opt to become damage heavy or rather use their abilities more often/tank more. This is very large scale decision making primary stats seem well...primary. Then the next step should be making Spirit secondary stat to control both regenerations equally (HP and MP), so MP regen and HP regen can be used alone if needed without dispersing information, ie. an item gives +5 Spirit and +1 HP regeneration (effect is clear and you don't need to create another new stat for HP regeneration because if it is used by stat, Spirit, then it becomes an effect instead).

If leech, havoc and chaos are a real thing on your game and are made to be stackable and all that good stuff, then is just right to make a particular stat for that. But if not then you could just add the particular tooltip like on a given ability or item stat "On Hit: X% chance to do Y". Maybe make one big stat that controls all procs, named, 'Proc' (lol), then each particular proc is regulated by itself, because, MAYBE you want to add another On Hit effect, and on that case you will decide if you create new particular stat for that effect or not (dispersing the information which is bad).
Evade should be named 'Spell Evade' or 'Counterspell', ie. Counterspell +5%. This (your idea) stat is an excellent idea and i've never seen an RPG that revolves around it.
Havoc could simple give auto attacks area of effect around the target so is not that boring.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I think it would, actually.
Not in terms of what the stats do, they are somewhat logical.

But knowing which stat is the best for whatever character I am playing..
Is leech better than evasion for survival? not only does it depend on the character but also on how much the stat gives (aka balance).

So yeah, sounds like a pain to play

Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks for the replies.

- spell evade is a good name for this thanks
- Spirit and Stamina no changes but i change "Knowledge" for Hp. Mp. reg.
- all stats are triggered and stackable
- Leech is Hp Mp, Steal if you attack/ use a spell.
- Havoc is base attack/spell damage output in % increase
- Chaos is pure flat damage bonus, ignores armor (attack/spell)
- Proc idea is nice, i like it

Actually the stats are all "main" stats but i use these 3 "primary" stats for a easier ingame display...

And the Agi stat (phys. damage) also increase some of the phys. damage abilities.

The idea with different Spell Types are good but i want to make 8 Heroes with 8 Subclasses = 64 Heroes and this would be a pain to realise

But knowing which stat is the best for whatever character I am playing..
Is leech better than evasion for survival? not only does it depend on the character but also on how much the stat gives (aka balance).

- Which stat is better are player decisions (u can go full glass cannon or full tank or whatever...)
- Stats gain will be displayed, i'm not sure at the moment how much each give (maybe 0.3/stat point)
- All stats must be chosen by yourself and can be increased with items/buffs/(tomes)

Another Question:
Should i make a "Hit" stat, would somebody actually use it?
- Evade/Spellblock will be game hard cap at 75-80% and it wil not be easy to get to this point

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Yeah, but some stats achieve the same goal but in different ways.

For example. If I want to go offensive/dps/glass cannon should I go main stat? haste? Wisdom? Havoc?
All of these stats increase my damage in some way, as higher mana reg might allow me to cast more spells = more damage

Trying to figure out which of these are best.. is kinda fun.. but also annoying if you're someone who loves min-maxing your character. Sounds like absolute hell in that case.

Level 4
Yeah, but some stats achieve the same goal but in different ways.
Trying to figure out which of these are best.. is kinda fun.. but also annoying if you're someone who loves min-maxing your character. Sounds like absolute hell in that case.

-------
MAIN STATS
-------
- Stamina (Str)
+20 Life / +0.1 Hp reg
-every x points
+Evade (spell or aa)
+Block​

- Agility (Agi)
( +1.5 Base Dmg)
-every x points
+Attackspeed / (Hitrate?)
+Phys. Crit Damage
+Phys. Critical Chance​

- Intellect (Int)
( +2 Spell Dmg)
-every x points
+Mana
+Mag. Crit Damage
+Mag. Critical Chance​
-------
SECONDARY STATS
-------
- Haste
Attackspeed / Movespeed / Cast Speed
-every x points
Cooldown/ refresh chance on attack/spell​

- Luck
loot chance / drop rate / (proc. rate?)

- Wisdom
healpower and Hp / Mp reg
-every x points
Phys/Magic. life/mana steal​

- Havoc
flat pure bonus damage
-every x points
output damage + xx %​

So, would this make decisions easier/more clear ?
Or what is your suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

Level 10
I think the poinz chaosy tries to bring up is very valid, when you look at stats only.

Simply said, when you got multiple angle to increase damage output, without anything to guide the player calculsting the most efficient values to get the most dps gets an annoying task.

What is missing are guiding factors. Without them in your build it wont make you thinks "well, investing in this stat is the right move".

So, without these, which come most often from abilities, it will be a mess for a player to read.

To give you an example i conjure a small kit out of my mind:

Counterstrike: On evading an attack in mellee range, strike yoir target, dealing 50% of your base damage.
Fan of daggers: Fire daggers to all enemies in the area, dealing x damge. Applies a stakking debuff to the enemy that increases critical damage taken by further daggers by 20% for 10 seconds. Cooldown: 5 seconds

With these 2 abilities, you directly got guidance for your skill point distribution. With your first ideas you can scale your damage via Evade (which also gives surviveability), Haste (to further stack knife debuffs) and agility (to utilize the critical strike of knifes).

Without giving context in form of builds, this whole amount if attributes would confuse many players. This is also a reason high amount of gear in diablo 2 for example required the class specific attributes. It gave guidance.

Personally, i would cut or merge attributes that are too near to each other. Like Knowledge and wisdom. Chaos and havoc also take space that is already occupied by phys and magical damage. To skale damage you would want to skill multiple of them and there is not much choice rather than fiddling out the right amounts. This coupd confuse/overwhelm players.

Level 4

Thanks. yeah, i already merged them pre-post.

I edit my main post to make it more clear.
Its not like im just planning to doing this, im already on it. (Items, Spells, descriptions,system,heroes etc.)

So every idea or criticism I am grateful for.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
My concern does not really lie with how the attributes are explained or structured.

It is more of a fundamental philosophy.
All these stats have too many options available.

Let's say I have 10 points to spend, and want to go damage.
  • 5 str
  • 3 havoc
  • 2 haste
vs

• 10 str
vs
  • 5 havoc
  • 5 haste
How am I supposed to know which is best? am I supposed to spend hours with a calculator to figure out the best build?

A better system IMO would be to have water/fire/arcane skill points for a wizard. Guardian/Berserker/Spearman as a warrior and so on.

Level 4
My concern does not really lie with how the attributes are explained or structured.

How am I supposed to know which is best? am I supposed to spend hours with a calculator to figure out the best build?

A better system IMO would be to have water/fire/arcane skill points for a wizard. Guardian/Berserker/Spearman as a warrior and so on.

Mh..

If you play heavy meele Class with Agi/Str stat based Skills you wouldnt go Int, right?

And yes, if you want to min. max. you could calculate... or just follow your class/items/spells descriptions, example:

- If your Spell deals 150% int damage you want to go Int
- If your Class only have skills with no scale but also want damage you would go Havoc or Agi
- If your Class have high attackspeed you want to go Agi
- If your Class have high spell damage you would go Havoc
- If your Class have high spell damage AND high mana consume you would go Havoc/Int
- If your Class use long Cooldowns or Skillshots you can go Haste
- If you have 3 Items based on Int damage and 3 Spells based on Int damage, you would choose Int stat...
- If you have 1 int 1 str 1 agi items/spells etc. you should overthink your build or hybrid
and so on..

The fire/arcane etc. is a nice idea but i will have 8 Main Classes and 8 Sub Classes (64 Classes), like Warrior Main Class, Mage Sub Class = Hexblade final Class
that would not fit/too complicated to realise..

You are able to reset stat points or sub class.
And if i realise a 12v12 Pvp Rpg there should be non: "you have to do THIS build to be good" thing.

There should be no linear must have on stats, People can follow descriptions or experiment with builds.
I dont want a System nobody understands...
I want that people actually have fun and make the map worth playing again/create different classes.

Or i'm completely wrong and/or overthinking this...?

Should i release a concept of my Map? idk

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.