• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Worth starting a cutom Warcraft 3.5 campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Ever since starting playing WoW 5 years ago , an idea kept creeping up. What if I continued the warcraft 3 campaign all the way into the WoW timeline.

I found an old doc of mine ,where i noted the general flow of the vanilla timeline :eek:rcs vs ragnaros timeline, humans vs nefarian timeline and the AQ invasion.

I am an experienced modder from back in the day and i'd like to try to start the project.

My only question is : Does anyone still play WC 3 ? I'd like to use the wc3 engine, but if people don;t play it it would kind of be a waste. Should i go for SC 2 engine? I haven;t modded in it and it's going to be hard getting models for what i need.

So is it worth starting this now? And if so WC 3 engine or sc 2?

Level 5
Hi axell! Welcome to the Hive! (if this isn't your first acount, welcome anyways!)

I want to get the engine problem out of the way first: I think you should go witht the WC3 engine, it's way easier and people still play it. There's still lots of mods being produced here!

Now, what I wanted to say. It feels like your focusing too much on the "success" and "fame" of your project. At least when starting, you shouldn't pay attention to that. An advise: Make the game for yourself, not with the goal of making a mod that'll be played by millions and I'll bring back WC3's former glory (exaggerating, I know, but it explains my point).

I started a project myself not long ago and the fisrt doubt that popped my mind was "Do people still pay this game?" I wasn't even gonna start writting anything down if I was convinced I was doing a project that would rot in the big world of internet. Past projects were ended because of that doubt. Whenever I came to a stale instead of working harder I stopped because "the game wasn't going to be played by anyone anyways".

This time I realized the potential danger of that thought and just banished it. Wether it'll be played by many, few or noone, is up to the quality of your work and how much you sweat working on it. It's the CONSEQUENCE of your work not the CAUSE.

What causes you to make that mod? Your emotions, your nostalgia; a good story you came out with a long time ago that you want to see it made into a game; the satisfaction you'll feel after finishing a custom WC campaign. All things that motivate you from start to finish. "It probably won't be played" is just a burden that makes you work harder for no reason.

Simply put, forget about the future success of the project. It's something you can't meassure if you don't even HAVE a project.; just an idea. Imo, you never have to think about the "future success" in itself, focus on the things that will affect it like a good title, lovable characters, unique gameplay mechanics, etc.

Level 3
Thanks for the reply!
But you kind of read too much into what i said. I meat the amount of people playing just to be able to choose the engine. More active people means more feedback which in turns makes it a better mod. I know sc2 is very active, and with hots launch it will be even more active. But sc 2 needs a ton of models to be imported.
But after seeing what people accomplished with the wc 3 engine, and the ton of models and support for it, i will go with your suggestion will stick to the wc 3 engine since i already know how to mod it :)

Level 3
Well I have started it, but progress is relatively slow for the moment since I need to readjust to using the editor.

The first campaign will focus on the Horde and how the uneasy alliance with the forsaken. The hero of this campaign is Varok Saurfang.

Will hopefully release it in 2 months max.

Status
Not open for further replies.