• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] World of Warcraft Regen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
World of Warcraft Regen v1.0

PVM8UCFWA1NQ1321645189693.jpg

SETTING
Set just after the events of the Frozen Throne, much has changed in Azeroth. The Forsaken under Sylvanas Windrunner, have allied with Thrall's New Horde; the night elves allied with the Alliance. The peace won with the defeat of Archimonde was sliding inexorably towards war. Champions of both factions must seek to rid Azeroth of its insurmountable threats.

PURPOSE
I always used to love playing World of Warcraft 1.8 and its reiterations in Reborn and Revived. I thought it would be fun to recreate the spirit of the series, in a team based ORPG, with PvE and PvP elements.

Simply put, the goal of the game is to defeat the final PVE boss/event before the other team. To get there, the players will need to complete a series of gated dungeons, raids, quests, and player vs. player events. Success in the beginning provides currency, levels, and improved items, thereby making it easier to complete the closing events and bosses.

TEAM
RoleMemberProgress
Terrain09103094
INV_Inscription_Tarot_VolcanoCard.png
Durotar
Orgrimmar
Triggers / Objectskharza
INV_Offhand_Dalaran_D_01.png
Threat Meter
Damage Detection System
Testingking arthas123
Achievement_Boss_LichKing.png
-
:fp:If you would like to contribute and/or join the team, feel free to contact me directly or post in this thread

books-of-lore.jpg

FEATURES

1. Factions, Races, and Classes
The game will place the Alliance against the Horde, with 4 human players and 1 computer per faction.

At the start, each player of the Alliance and Horde must choose a unique race (i.e. one that has not been chosen yet). Alliance players choose among Dwarf, Gnome, Human, and Night Elf, while Horde players choose among Orc, Tauren, Troll, and Undead.

Each race is associated with 2 classes. There are a total of 8 classes per faction, with the Paladin and Shaman class originally being unique to the Alliance and Horde respectively.

Consult the below chart for permitted race/class combinations.

latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
Ui-charactercreate-classes_druid.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
icons_17826_btn.jpg
hunter.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
icons_17826_btn.jpg
mage.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
icons_17826_btn.jpg
paladin.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
priest.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
icons_17826_btn.jpg
rogue.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
icons_17826_btn.jpg
shaman.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
warlock.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
icons_17826_btn.jpg
warrior.png
icons_17826_btn.jpg
icons_17826_btn.jpg
2. Expansions
Expansion
Zones
Race
Class
Notes
Burning Crusade
Bc_icon.gif
Achievement_Zone_HellfirePeninsula_01.png
Achievement_Character_Bloodelf_Male.png
Achievement_Character_Draenei_Male.png
Wrath of the Lich King
Wrath-Logo-Small.PNG
Achievement_Zone_IceCrown_03.png
Spell_Deathknight_ClassIcon.png
Cataclysm
Cata-Logo-Small.PNG
achievement_zone_firelands.png
latest
latest
Mists of Pandaria
Mists-Logo-Small.png
latest
Ui-charactercreate-races_pandaren-male.png
monk.png
Warlords of Draenor
WoD-Logo-Small.png
Achievement_zone_newshadowmoonvalley.png
Vanilla= 1-12
BC=12-14
WOTLK=14-16
CATA=16-17
MOP=17-18
WOD=18-20

Ships, portals, zepplins, etc.
Adaptations of actual terrain in WOW
Terrain-transforming events (e.g. Cataclysm)

K00C727.png
qigy04F.png
2PZ31yE.png
0nHCt0y.png

48bEvAq.png

ZxcucvC.png

ffR3XXJ.png

BLuSy7T.png

Xz8EOr8.png

Q4OfJHr.png

8VGjAkF.png

uac7V9c.png

Y90lV12.png

cQGqJB7.png

VEzvXWj.png

gi09Wsl.png

gpHaXSj.png

Z99EL5M.png

KQ7hQsN.png

GRZEWAm.png

otbqgS7.png

LhiIIhR.png

aI1U9qG.png

e.g. Shared vision, group quests, etc.

e.g. When a player reaches level X, a Y minute countdown timer begins. At the end of the timer, all heroes are transported to a PvP zone, like Warsong Gulch. Once the objectives are complete or after a certain amount of time, the players are teleported back to their original locations.

e.g. When a player approaches a dungeon or raid, the other allied players are prompted to "join the group". If one player does not accept, nothing happens. If all accept, they are teleported to a PvE room which will have scripted boss fights. If players defeat the final boss, or decide to leave the dungeon early, the players are teleported back to their original locations. Bosses drop loot, etc.

A. Quests (Simple and Chain)
e.g. To open up AQ20/40, players must first complete the Scepter of the Shifting Sand quest. AQ20/40 leads to Naxx1, which leads to Outlands. Therefore, it is a crucial step in the game.
B. Countdown timers after the completion of certain PvE events
e.g. Upon killing vanilla Kel'Thuzad, a countdown timer for the Opening of the Dark Portal will begin. Once it expires, players can then journey to Outlands.

e.g. After every level, a hero can invest in a passive ability (talent tree).

e.g. Each hero has 5 abilities, which level up automatically when the hero levels up

CHANGELOG
Project started

Last edited:
I love how close you sticked to the source material on the terrain layout.
That being said, I think the terrain still has a lot of room for improvement.

I highly recommend using some multi-tiles (tiles that make use of variations to put more than one terrain type into a single tile), to have more tile variants in your zones. I'd say take some liberty in the terrain layout to increase the visual fidelity. For example by applying more height modifiers. The terrain looks extremely flat.

Try to match the colors better... especially in the snow and desert areas. Try to use more realistic looking imports over the default props... some of them look absolutely terrible.

Other than that, it's an ambitious project. I like the detail work you put into the terrain layout. Feels right at home.

Level 3
I love how close you sticked to the source material on the terrain layout.
That being said, I think the terrain still has a lot of room for improvement.

I highly recommend using some multi-tiles (tiles that make use of variations to put more than one terrain type into a single tile), to have more tile variants in your zones. I'd say take some liberty in the terrain layout to increase the visual fidelity. For example by applying more height modifiers. The terrain looks extremely flat.

Try to match the colors better... especially in the snow and desert areas. Try to use more realistic looking imports over the default props... some of them look absolutely terrible.

Other than that, it's an ambitious project. I like the detail work you put into the terrain layout. Feels right at home.
Thanks! Will work on improving the elevations, and adding multi-tiles.
For the terrain colors, I reached a limit, but then again, I'm new to the Jass NewGen UMS. Will figure that out too.

Really appreciate the feedback :)

Level 11
This looks brilliant, only problem I have is the terrain, it can be improved so much, if you are not that good with terraining I would suggest you to recruit someone like Forsaken, Spinel or Heinvers, they ar eall great with terraining.

Wow, it was pretty fun just going through the screenshots and trying to name the specific geographic spots. You even included the dead goliath in Desolace! I'd probably play this just for the sake of running around. :D

Could you show a screenshot with a unit included? It'll give us a better perspective of how big things are.

Also, would the team vs. team be ally vs. horde? How big would groups be? 5 players?

I'm also kinda curious how you'll fit all that you want into the world. It seems hard to get worthwhile dungeons if you have to use up so much real estate on your map including all the locations (especially if you include outland/draenor/northrend/pandaria). Aren't you worried about running out of space? But idk, it looks like you have a lot of water, so maybe you'll have decent room to place your dungeons. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck with your project! The terrain is coming along nicely, and I appreciate how you tried to include most of the major geographic areas. All the WoW clones/risk maps I've seen just did a rough approximation.

@Garodar: They are listed under "Enhancing the terrain w/ screenshots".

Level 3
@Yousef
Good idea. I'm far from a terrain expert, so I'll contact them, and also post in the Project Recruitment Forum.

@PurgeandFire
Here's a screenshot with a unit. Units, including the heroes will have 1x1 pathing, which is the size of a Peon for example.
XUTIZv4.png

I know there must be a way to make it 5 human players vs 5 human players, but I like how 4 players per team forces everyone to select a unique race. Can always change. And yes, it would be Horde (4 human + 1 computer) vs Alliance (4 humans + 1 computer). Nothing set in stone as of now though of course.

You're right about the lack of real estate, and how it would be near impossible to include worthwhile instances.
The idea I have in my head at the moment is that there is a generic "Instance Zone" for each team. It would be a basic dungeon layout. Upon triggering an "Instance Event" it would be populated by destructables and/or dummy units to enhance the environment. Then, a boss would be summoned. It would have scripted abilities, etc. Upon defeating it, the players would restore their health and mana, reset their cooldowns, and the next boss would spawn in X seconds.
So PvE would be an instanced / boss / minigame event. Thoughts?

Level 3
Ahhh, that terrain brings back so many good memories.. Even if it could be improved a lot, it still does magic. :)

A lot of the feedback has been about the terrain, so I have tried to improve it, taking on Orgrimmar first. Here is the updated version
K00C727.png

Some more screenshots are in the screenshot dropdown section. What would be the best way to enhance it further?

Status
Not open for further replies.