• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World of Strife: Retribution v1.52d

World of Strife: Retribution v1.52d

The Kingdom of Rakasla, a sprawling metropolis nestled in the Valley of Lords, was the capital of a grand empire of megalithic strength and economic might, exerting an age of golden prosperity and peace upon the land.

This age soon came crashing down in a war of pure, unadulterated violence that mutilated the very ground with depraved bloodshed. As turbulent powers raged across the land, sleeping creatures awoke, ancient Dragons emerging from their homes to rage across the world in primal might. Now, heroes have returned to Rakasla to face the source of this great evil and make it face Retribution. The fate of the lands rests in the balance, and the victor of this greater war will become the master of this World of Strife.

World of Strife: Retribution is a 1-8 player game and is the sequel to World of Strife: Tribulations & World of Strife: Exodus

There are three game modes with up to seven human players and one dragon player.

• Normal - This mode is where the humans try and defend against the undeath long enough so that they may strike back and attempt to kill the evil Lord Lothrim.

• No Undead - This mode removes all of the undeath forces and allows the humans to ally and duke it out between each other.

• FFA - This mode is where no one is allied, but the forces of undeath are still present. Whoever is able to kill the Dragon may still be it's Master.

Objectives for Normal:

• Humans - The humans must choose sides and fight their way to the heart of Lord Lothrim and kill him. This is no easy task, however destroying the spawn buildings of his minions will surely ease your troubles.

• Dragon - You are a great mythical beast, though young and ignorant at first, your best bet is to seek alliegance with some of the humans so that they may feed you so you can grow quickly and aid them in a fight against the undeath. If you die as Ignorance, you will respawn in your dragon nest since you don't know any better. Though beware, once you die after you have grown to Knowledge or Wisdom, you will no longer be sheltered by your Ignorance. You will be tainted by the power of the undeath and be forced to join the ranks of Lord Lothrim's minions. If you die to the humans there is no coming back.

• Undeath Humans - At this point, you have failed your first objective to kill Lord Lothrim, and you now have been turned against your fellow men as you join the ranks of the undeath. Now it is your goal to destroy every last human and turn them into one of Lord Lothrim's minions.

• Undeath Dragon - You have proven that you are either foolish or evil at heart and now have become a minion to Lord Lothrim. Your goal is to make life for the humans miserable and turn their bases into rubble. But becareful, if you die once more, you will never come back.

There are three difficulties under normal and FFA that Red chooses. Easy, Normal, and Hard.

• Easy - No Damage or Armor Increase For Undeath Units.
(For 1-3 players)

• Normal - 40% Damage Increase, +10 Armor Increase For Undeath Units.
(For 4-6 players)

• Hard - 80% Damage Increase, +20 Armor Increase For Undeath Units, and units spawn twice as fast.
(For 7-8 players)

Easy is for novices, medium is for a challenge, and hard is for veterans only. You've been warned.

255nywp.jpg

2uhr9y9.jpg

tak8xu.jpg

2j64avm.jpg

2ptqluf.jpg

Updates:

-v1.44f through v1.50-

• Added Dragon Hunter hero
• Balances made to items
• Minor changes to the build order, and an upgrade for more food
• Fixed all the lag by removing the memory leaks

-v1.51a-

• More balance changes to the Arcane and Mercenary paths
• Updated more units that didn't benefit from the proper upgrades
• Advanced worker now repairs faster than the normal peasant

-v1.52-

• Medium difficulty a little more difficult, i.e. chance for more enemy spawns
• Updated dialog options to reflect the amount of players in game and the recommended difficulty

-v1.52a-

• Fixed Goblin Mortar Teams not having burning oil
• Fixed bug with Troll Berserkers starting out in their upgraded form already
• Fixed the food upgrade to actually give you the +50 food like it should
• Made sure All allied raised skeletons benefit from upgrades

-v1.52b-

• Demolisher now benefits from upgrades
• Redeemer now mechanical and can be repaired
• Nightmare spawn is now pinged

Custom Icon Credits:
Shaeam
Pyramidhead

Model credits to:
Bart_Illidan
Elenai
jigrael
Sellenisko
Callahan
Kwalit
WolfmanArc
Pyramidhead
JesusHipster
armel
Afronight_76
General Frank
Tarrasque

Skin Credits:
Just_Spectating
67chrome
Ampharos_222
Daenar7
Cloudwolf

Terrain:
Saken

Triggers:
Krath

Unit Editing:
Krath & Saken

Keywords:
World of Strife, Defense, Survival, Undead, War, Dragon, Human, Strategy, FFA, Teams, Team, Krath, Saken, WKRE, Undeath, Free For All, Retribution, WP, WOLF PACK
Contents

World of Strife: Retribution v1.52d (Map)

Reviews
20:41, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 12
What needs to be improved upon? So my friend and I can get to working on making World of Strife better.

Edit:

Well we're in the works of ballancing the heros better, and fixing some known and new bugs.

Last edited:
Level 12
My partner and I are keeping it as "Undeath", simply because all games that have an undead force calls it undead and nothing else, this is our way of being 'different'. That doesn't go to say though that our game isn't different from the rest due to one name difference, but it really is a fun and challenging game.

Level 12
We are finally updating World of Strife.

We will for sure re-name the peasant, and allow you to be rewarded for keeping the starting peasant alive.
We recently discovered quite a few new bugs and imballances and we are working to fix all of that as well.
I plan to expand the terrain to allow more options for bases and add more depth to the terrain itself.
We also might possibly add another undead unit to help make this tough game even tougher.

You can look forward to a new version within a week or so.
Not all of the above fixes will be set in place, such as terrain, but we are mainly focusing on ballancing and the existing bugs.

Level 5
Hi ArchangelTyrael, thanks for your input.

I've just tested the map myself, and Knowledge does in fact have the Devour ability. Have you played it more than once? If so, was it a recurring bug? I've made the necessary changes to ensure that bug won't happen again but still, I'd like to know.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yeah it happened twice (we played only twice), the first time my friend was playing the Dragon and the second time I was playing the Dragon, both times the Devour ability was not present among his skills.

Level 6
Hello Krath and Saken,

I just played the map twice with my friends, and figured I'd take the time to give some feedback.

First, I'd like to verify the report by Archangel; Knowledge loses Devour and never gains it back.

Second, I'd like to comment overall on the income mechanic and the effect it has on gameplay. My main issue with income structures in general is that players spend the first 5-10 minutes of the game simply massing income. Since there's a cap on income, this ends relatively quickly, and it ensures that players all have around the same income level if they mass income structures. However, if players simply build one tier 3 Farm and then start building their base, they will quickly run out of income and fall behind very quickly. That's the fundamental issue here: In my estimation there is no real viable strategy that does not start with: "Okay, build 8 tier 3 Farms, 8 tier 2 Farms, and 8 Tier 1 Farms." You honestly might as well just give players the end result income from the beginning and let them spend more time on choosing their Path and constructing defenses.

The other problem is that with the levels of income as they are, and the cost of units (even elites) so low, it's almost impossible to NOT have a 100 food army on the field at any given time. I found that late-game, when attacking the undead, It was more a question of army composition; I was always able to have my full army regardless, and lots of income left over to spare.

As far as the Dragon element goes, it was interesting and well implemented. The Devour glitch limited the evolutions, but I'm sure there was more than 1 evolution. The Dragons from the tavern were fairly weak, but the ability to semi-mass them was good, and the cooldown forces the Dragon to use them strategically.

I did not try the mode of PvP with no undead but I could see it being somewhat viable as well.

Overall a solid map, with a flawed, albeit simple and intuitive income mechanism. I'm rating it 4/5.

Level 5
Thanks a lot Mech_Warrior, for a well thought-out and extended review.

Firstly, with the new version Saken just posted, we've found and fixed the Devour glitch. I think you'd like to play again now, as the possibilities you've explored due to this glitch were quite limited as the Dragon. After the second evolution, you can become a Mother Dragon and evolve your children. Anyhow, moving on...

As per the income system, although your points were valid, there actually are multiple strategies you can use to build up your income. Upgrading them right away to level 3 does not help, it is in fact quicker to build up your income by building 8 level 1 farms, upgrading them to level 2s, building more level 1s, etc. This allows your peasant to work throughout the whole preparation time instead of waiting around for the income timer to reach 0. Another strategy is to find a base close to a Magic Vault, and capturing it as quickly as possible to receive the massive income boost it provides.

We are aware that income becomes pretty much infinite late game. It allows, as you said, to focus more on army composition, whether mixing Paths with an ally or just using your own. Once all your upgrades have been done, all your Vaults protected and you've built an outpost near the undead base, there isn't many uses for the income you've amassed apart from elite units, or more outposts. However at that point in the game, what else would you need? Raising the prices of Path-exclusive units could make the late game more difficult and sensible, though. I might just do that.

We appreciate the valid pointers and the kind words alike, thanks again for your review.

Level 12
Thanks Fang!

Krath and I are in the works on a few more fixes for things we've found, as well as, I'll be adjusting some of the aesthetics with the sky and terrain along with making one of the bases in the game a little harder to defend from. (Mostly because I've used it too many times and it's way too easy to defend from.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We will be updating World of Strife sometime soon with some minor changes to reflect the prequel game we have made to World of Strife, titled Exodus of Strife or EoS. EoS will be more of a Hero Defense/RPG game with a fun and competitive arena mode at the end that survivors can partake in to see who has the strongest hero. Stay tuned to my profile for further info on release. Or stop by Clan WP on US East if you're ever interested in more info.

Last edited:
Level 12
Oh weird? Normally it doesn't get to be laggy until you are about 45 minutes to an hour in when you're having massive armies attacking the undead base. I'll have to retest again with Krath to make sure this isn't some reoccurring issue.

To answer your question though, the paths are obtained by building a Path Barracks and choosing 1 of 4 of the Paths. Each Path is a special set of units with unique and powerful units all within their own rights. There is the Dragon Hunter Path, the Elementalist Path, the Holy Path, and the Mercenary Path. Basically when building a Path Barracks, you are ascending form the Tier 1 units that you get from the first Barracks, which produces units that won't last long mid to late game. The Path Barracks grants you the Tier 2 Units which can help you survive attacks from the undead easier, and as well give you enough man power to make an outpost and begin attacking the undead.

Level 12
We'll be releasing a new update fixing a lot of the memory leaks that were definitely causing all of that lag, so I apologize for the bad play experiences before due to the unbearable lag. We just need to run a couple more tests to smooth a couple last minute changes, but we should have a way more optimized version of WoS: Retribution ready within a week or less.

Level 5
It is as it should be. We've removed all building collision so you can build a giant base in a tiny spot. Literally every spot in the map can be made into a base because of this. However, there's still strategy behind your placement. Farms built too close together will all take any splash damage and destroy all your income at once. You can build, say, a Town Hall on the outer edges of your farms to protect them. When I start up a base, I usually bunch up my farms (not too much) and surround them with my other buildings like the Blacksmith, Barracks and Altar. It's an added security measure if Lothrim's Forces make it through my walls and towers.

Play around with it if you like. There's plenty you can do with this feature. Make a base out of a random corridor in the map, or build a tower in some pre-placed trees to make it more difficult to reach. It makes for a different playstyle than most castle defense games.

Level 5
Awesome, thanks Ardenaso. It's easy to miss all these little things you're pointing out when we test because we're always looking at the big picture and testing specific, new things. So it's great to have someone reliable like you who can accurately find whatever we've missed. I've made all the changes you mentioned, apart from the food thing. I was planning on leaving it to be 50 food. Do you think I should give the upgrade another level for an extra 50 food after that? I thought 200 would make for too many giant, OP armies late game, but maybe not.

Also, Saken will post the update logs shortly. We've done so many little fixes that it's difficult to keep up with all we've done. He's amassing all the text notepads we've written, hopefully everything will be there.

Cheers!

Level 3
I want you to defend home map, 4 different routes, 40 bogey, equipment and system, upgrade system. Challenge BOSS explosive synthesis equipment, can challenge gold coin monster, experience monster, do some task, such as dozen brigands, complete task reward equipment and money, random integer to reward. It's fun to have a little bit of a defensive picture. The most popular thing in China is this kind of defensive picture. I'm not good at English. I'm sorry

Level 12
Hello!

I want you to defend home map, 4 different routes, 40 bogey, equipment and system, upgrade system. Challenge BOSS explosive synthesis equipment, can challenge gold coin monster, experience monster, do some task, such as dozen brigands, complete task reward equipment and money, random integer to reward.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you'd like to see more of in World of Strife: Retribution. A lot of your ideas would be great additions to Retribution. We will definitely keep them in mind when we continue forward on the next update to this.

It's fun to have a little bit of a defensive picture. The most popular thing in China is this kind of defensive picture. I'm not good at English. I'm sorry

It's okay! I think I understood what you were telling us, and I really appreciate your kind words! We are still working on this series, slowly but surely.

Level 3
1. loadscreen is Awesome, just love it
2. possibility to sacrifice damn human and become undead side just amazing.
3. sadly, soloing is not possible, as i always prefer to play alone, AI just stands on their start locations(

But for the rest: possibility to play for undead, unusual performance etc 5/5

Level 12
Hi @Lake Bodom! Thanks for playing our game and letting us know what you think!

3. sadly, soloing is not possible, as i always prefer to play alone, AI just stands on their start locations(

We've yet to re-test Retribution on the 1.29 update. Can you confirm if the units were just spawning on-top of their buildings and not being sent? Or are you referring to the units standing guard in the blighted side of the map? Also, did the enemy undeath units ever get sent at your base on the starting side of the map?

Thank you!

Level 3
Hi @Lake Bodom! Thanks for playing our game and letting us know what you think!

We've yet to re-test Retribution on the 1.29 update. Can you confirm if the units were just spawning on-top of their buildings and not being sent? Or are you referring to the units standing guard in the blighted side of the map? Also, did the enemy undeath units ever get sent at your base on the starting side of the map?

Thank you!
1. Undeath are works just fine, constantly attacks, does their job properly
2. you might misunderstood, i set all the Players as AI. Then run my worker to sacrifice to be undeath. But AI workers at all conditions does nothing. They just stands still, then when invulnirability ends they just die, thats it. See, i dont want to play human and actually want to play for undeath.

Last edited:
Level 12
2. you might misunderstood, i set all the Players as AI. Then run my worker to sacrifice to be undeath. But AI workers at all conditions does nothing. They just stands still, then when invulnirability ends they just die, thats it. See, i dont want to play human and actually want to play for undeath.

Ah! My apologies for the misunderstanding. Yeah, human AI isn't built-in unfortunately.

My best advice for playing solo is to take one of the bases near a corner, but try and build close enough to one of the banks to be able to capture and adequately defend them to keep your income up. Also be sure to use a good combination of sniper towers with magic towers to help prevent nerubian widows from sniping your walls.

Level 3
Ah! My apologies for the misunderstanding. Yeah, human AI isn't built-in unfortunately.

And again, sadly, as i said solo for undeath side is not possible=( It is my VERY own predilection. Why it is always like this, all around the "human fight undead"...
But all the rest is great job.

Last edited:
Level 12
I see, you like to play the opposite role in the typical narrative that most games have with the "good guy" vs. the "bad guy". I've had some ideas for a new game with that kind of direction but never acted on it. Maybe someday we'll make something like that! We'll be sure to let you know if we do.

Level 3
Its my nature and accordingly its my very own predilection, dont you mention it=) im always on Undead side, if somwhere any possibility to play vampirelike heroes/undead i`m there then, mostly considering such games) And thanks if you make smth disgusting as undead it self, with blackest arts, bloody heroes, skills, darkest appearance/performance i would love it)) And again, that`s my very own desires.