1. Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll is up! Vote for the best 4v4 melee maps!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have a new contest going on right now! Join the 11th Music Contest! You are to make a Cinematic modern sound-track for this contest, so come and compete with other people for fun.
    Dismiss Notice

World Editor or Galaxy Editor?

Discussion in 'Warcraft 3: World of Warcraft' started by Craka_J, Jul 9, 2010.

?

Should World of Warcraft be remade with the "World Editor" or the "Galaxy Editor&quot

1. World Editor (WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne)

79.4%
  2. Galaxy Editor (StarCraft II)

20.6%
  1. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A Mod DB user wanted me to create a poll that allows the community to vote for whether we use the StarCraft II "Galaxy Editor" or continue to use the WarCraft III "World Editor". So here it is!

2. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    World Editor. Period.

3. Erader

Erader

Resources:
    Resources:
    World Editor (ofc),because it is more warcraftish! :)

4. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    It'd be a pretty big waste of a lot of peoples time to switch now, wouldn't it?

5. JakeCake

JakeCake

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    this

6. noxwinslol

noxwinslol

Resources:
    Resources:
    For some reason I got the feeling that the existence of such a forum thread implies that the development of the mod is still at an early stage >:3

7. Dylanyo123

Dylanyo123

Resources:
    Resources:
    It has been for quite a while now.....

8. Dr. House

Dr. House

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I prefer world editor since im used to it and its easy to use but i would like som of the things in SCII galaxy editor to be in the WC3 Editor. So my vote gos to WC3 World Editor

9. TLW

TLW

Resources:
    Resources:
    Would have to say WC3 World editor, otherwise isnt it SC2 WOW not WC3 WOW? Plus all the "alot of peoples time out the window" stuff that's been said.

10. noxwinslol

noxwinslol

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well imo craka-j should give the community an honest answer whether or not he has the will to actively develop the mod :/

It seems questionable at times.
    Altho there are no hard feeling here, because at the end of the day its quite a drag to develop a campaign of such magnitude.
    However if one would put full effort into it, it should not take years to do so, because: An existing game engine with an editor is being used and that means most of the work is already done for you.

But my potential mistake is that I look at it from a programmer point of view, while Craka is more than likely just a hobbyist, thus will take more time. I do not know how much time he daily has to spend on mapmaking etc.

11. Kaylax87

Kaylax87

Resources:
    Resources:
    I use the map editor like crazy just one thing I am not good at is on a trigger mode for game trigger like completing 1 staged and going to another stage with the stuff your hero obtained, Also tried to figure out on the instance part on the bonus stages on Wc3 The Forzen Throne on the Orc stages.

12. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Regardless of the editor, craka, you need to pick up the pace, at this rate, galaxy or world editor, you'll never finish. That's the harsh truth.

13. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wc3 Editor, as you've said yourself - it contains many resources that you can use, the sc2 will require a gillion imports that don't yet exist in order to make it look like WoW =/

14. Vikus

Vikus

Resources:
    Resources:
    World Editor, for sure. Don't stop now, if you switched to galaxy edit it would disappoint a lot of the people waiting to play it on Warcraft 3 whos graphics can't handle SC2 that well, like myself.

15. Raj91

Raj91

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Why, after years of development, would you even consider asking a question like this? Is progress really so slow, that you would consider abandoning all your work and starting over in a different editor????

IMO, at this point its all are nothing, WC3 Editor or drop it dead.

16. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i've already gotten used to Galaxy editor,
    and some things are a lot easier to accomplish in comparison

17. MortAr

MortAr

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    WE, definitely.

18. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    well, i guess none of you guys are going to mod anytime soon then

19. Dr. House

Dr. House

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It whas ment to be to see this project dead for WCIII(No offense) but you started this project a couple of years ago and now the moment has come that WCIII isnt that populair anymore and lots of people move to SCII wich sucks but its true. IMO you should have started this project earlyr anyway seems like you still got people that support you and as long as you do why would you stop the project? Anyway goodluck if you continue this project.

Idea: what if you make the project for WCIII first and wait for an converting tool for SCII or somthing that allows to inport the models of WCIII in it and maybe even copy terrain and stuff (doubt it but still)

20. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the votes and feedback about why you chose W.E. or G.E.!

Just so we're on the same page, I've been asked if we'd ever go to the Galaxy Editor and a user on Mod DB requested me to create a poll where the public could choose what we do - stick with Wc3:WoW or move onto SC2:WoW - but regardless, we've prioritized to complete certain systems that are essential to Wc3:WoW's testing and, much later on, playability. Though I cannot prove it with screenshots just yet, I assure everyone that the coders PurgeandFire111 and Watermelon_1234 are working on numerous important systems that will enable Wc3:WoW to be 'played' so we can begin testing in-game performance, terrain pathing, etc.

It is unlikely that I will even have time for a project like SC2:WoW. And seeing that the community so far greatly favors the WarCraft III World Editor over the StarCraft II Galaxy Editor, I don't see a need to worry. But keep voting regardless and leaving comments! I read them all and do take them into consideration if they are necessary.