• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Worgen/Gilneas Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello! Before you make any comments, I know, this group is very inactive, but I do hope that this discussion will somewhat revive it! Would be a shame if it just went crashing and burning, right?

Anyways, the thing I had in mind to discuss is a Worgen/Gilneas Faction that I got inspired to make thanks to the numerous Gilnean models made by the user Ultimata. And of course, I try to balance out the Human/Worgen content. So far, this is what I have (WARNING: First 3 Military Units will be more or less copy-paste of the regular Human ones, since I had no better idea for them! You have been warned!)

Worker Unit
Laborer - Used the Worgen Peasant model made by the user Cavman, who also made the Worgen Footman model I am using for its Militia counter-part, the Armed Wolf. Basically, your run-off-the-mill Peasant unit, builds stuff, gathers stuff, yadda-yadda.

Heroes
Frost Vizier - With nearly all the Heroes being Strength-type, I had to make SOMETHING for an Intelligence-Hero, and as such, came the Frost Vizier. A magic user taught in the arts of cold magic.

Admiral - Using the Admiral Proudmoore model, the Admiral is a Strength-Hero who's main objective is to heal and keep his soldiers alive, whilst rendering his enemies useless for a short duration with his Disarming Shout ability, which is basically a Silence which disables melee attacks.

Grand Marshal - Using the Lord Garithos model, the Grand Marshal is a ferocious, bold leader, acting as a Tank that can soak up damage with his Bulwark ability (Hardened Skin), and can invoke a furious anger inside himself to attack and move faster for a short while.

Worgen Champion - An elite Worgen warrior, he wields dual axes and the skull of one of his victims as a trophy on his head. He is the main damage dealer, capable of lashing out terrible wounds and inflict serious pain, but also to bolster his allies with a ferocious battle roar.

Basic Military Units
Infantryman - Is basically just a Footman, with a Defend ability, but a different name, "Barricade". I am so creative, I know. :p

Hand-Gunner - Basically a replacement for the Dwarven Rifleman. Because, c'mon, a Dwarf in Gilneas? Not on my watch.

Heavy Knight - This Knight foregoes its swords to use a heavy mace instead. And it can also be upgraded with the aura-like Intimidating Armor, which will decrease nearby enemies' attack damage with 0.05.

Spellcaster Units

Herbalist - Being a Druidism magic faction majorly, the Gilnean healer is the Herbalist, being able to use herbs for both healing, and disruptive means.

Wizard - An offensive Mage unit, the Wizard is capable of unleashing fireballs, thunderclouds, and project an Aura that grants minor Mana regeneration.

Wolf Cultist - An occult wolf enthusiast, he can call upon zombie dogs which are able to cannibalize on corpses, and attack the Cultist's foes. He also knows a few offensive magics. (Shop Unit)

Advanced Military Units

Battle Wolf - An armored, large wolf which is able to attack enemies, and also damage attackers with its Spiked Collars (with an upgrade of course). Can also be upgraded with a Ghoul Frenzy-like upgrade to increase their attack and movement speed.

Worgen Brute - A massive Worgen fighter who subdues enemies with its massive axe. Can learn Cleaving Attack, and get an increased attack damage and health upgrade with the Night Fury upgrade. (Both are separate Researches) (Shop Unit)

Ultimate/Ownage Unit

Gilnean Gunship - This proud militaristic achievement is nothing short of devastating, able to fire salvos of missiles and ground bombardments at enemies below, and pepper magazines of bullets at aerial enemies. Has the True Sight ability to let it see invisible, sneaky enemies, and can also learn Hardened Hull to increase its health slightly.

So, what do you guys think?

:thumbs_down:
or
:thumbs_up:

Level 20
Well can't really judge the race of just descriptions but they kinda sound like basic human race so you should really change at leas abilities and upgrades. Could be fun to give Worgen race racial that allows you to have units that can switch between human and worgen form. And I am surprised no unit with abiliity to infect enemy with worgen curse. Need something that makes worgen race well worgen.
Your race does move away from standard race rules as you have just 1 air unit (most races have at least 2 and one of them is usually anti-air), your 3rd tier melee unit has aura instead of personal passive (There is a reason why heroes are the ones that have auras in most cases).
I am not really sure what is the role of Battle Wolf and Worgen Brute. Also you lack dedicated anti caster unit (like faery dragon, dryad, destroyer, spealbreaker). Can't really judge casters but guess herbalist is support, wizard is combat and cultists is I guess combat too?

For heroes well i am surprised no Agility hero idea though champion could be it. Would be also better if heroes had names based of class and not of title, at least I don't get what vizir has to do with ice?

Level 3
My own basic Military:

Swordwolf: Basic infantry, defend ability kept, couple of upgrades to enhance attack speed, damage, armour. (For all infantry)

Bladethrower: Basic ranged, upgrades can change it's damage, like poison Knives, flaming Knives etc.

Grey Worg: Can alternate between wolf form and humanoid form, wolf form is faster, attacks faster, but less damage, humanoid form can hit hard, slightly faster than normal infantry, but slow compared to the wolf form.

Advanced Military:

Great Black Worg: Extremely fast unit, has a leap ability to scale cliffs or over walls, can devour and upgrade-able mount for Swordwolves and Bladethrowers, with swordwolves they do more damage but are slightly slower than unmount, but still fast compared to normal, and with bladethrowers they get a ranged and melee attack, all forms can devour.

Night Brute: A massive humanoid wolf, armoured with a hard hit, but slow damage, because of it's size it can (mount) pull wagons to create a convoy and to get a transport ability, has cleave, howl (Terror), but with convoys it's armour increases and so does damage, but loses cleave and hits much slower.

Spellcasters:

Infector: useful against humans, can infect human footman to give a damage per sec trait, if they are killed with it they turn into a Swordwolf with half health, Infect can be used on biological units but will only turn Footman if they are killed, if used on a friendly Worgen, they will get plus health, attack speed and will move faster and get bigger, infected spell casters will not take damage but cannot cast spells. short range.

Cultist: Blood Thirst, makes worgen military hit faster, attack faster, move faster and more health, but they take more damage. Summoning: Summons two weak shadow wolves to help the fight, can sacrifice to heal spellcasters. Conversion: If casted on a priest it will turn into a Cultist unless it is killed or healed by any ability, takes 1 minute to take effect, if casted on any other spellcaster it will stun them for a short period of time.

Moon Priest: Can cast Moonlight, which heals Worgen and Night Elves, slows humans and orcs and damages undead. Blessing: sort of like Big Bad Voodoo, the effected Worgen or allied Night Elves will get a temporary Blessing, which gives them alot of armour and more health, but the Moon Priest has no armour, reduced health and cannot move while casting, if it effects enemy Night Elves they will get a small armour bonus.

High-Moon Priest: Basically the same as a normal Moon Priest except Moonlight Heals, slows and damages more and they get Sacrifice, which gives them an active ability in which when it is active, if they die a small and weaker Starfall is casted.

Herbalist: A ward caster, can cast Healing Concoction which summons a ward that heals, Wolf Totem, which makes infantry Worgs Rabid, Poison Vial, when active it gives the Herbalist a ranged attack that poisons enemies, takes mana after every hit, Steel Fur, gives Worgs some more armour.

I have some heroes too, but Im too lazy to type XD
Interesting topic, I hope it stays alive.

Level 20
Think the herbalist represents the druidic idea though personally I still see worgen as humans more as they are Gillienas people so don't really get why were they even have connections to night elves, but then again I dislike whole so called wow lore... but that's not supposed to stop race making.

Anyway should first remind you guys of guidelines (doesn't have to be used 100%) for warcraft races. Also unit can have more then one roles listed here. Number of units in race must be maximum 11+woerker (different forms and summoned units don't count so you can exploit that):

Basic troops: 3
Tier 1 melee: the backbone unit with 1 upgrade ready at tier 1 and possibly at tier 2. Should keep in mind after tier 3 this unit is obsolete.
Basic ranged: Well its basic and often only ranged unit that gets replaced by air units. 1-2 upgrades.
Tier 3 melee: Powerful unit that is on the front line. In most cases they tend to have passive ability, or in case of humans HP upgrade. Night elves combine this unit with caster.
Spelcasters : 2-3
They are more flexible type of units (in most cases 2) but most are fragile and make easier for other units to hurt enemy. Usual skills are either healing/buffing (there is always healer) allied units, casting negative buffs on enemies, destroying enemy spells or summoning but last one must be careful with as it basically can be overpowered skill which is why undeads use corpses to limit their summoning. Notice that casters usually have auto-cast and single target spells and rarely AoE targeting spells and as far as I know none directly hurts.

Also there often is anti-caster unit which is important unit to have as brute force can't stop enemy casting. Examples are spell-breaker, dryad, destroyer

Air Units 2-3
I believe we can in most cases see two types. A standard Air Unit (Griffin, Frost Wyrm, Chimera, Wyvern that replaces ranged unit at tier 3, often has its own building. And then there is anti air unit (for some reason ready at tier 2 and may need shop building) that is weak but cheep (Dragonhawk, Hippogriff, Gargoyle,Troll Bat rider (also a siege unit)). Sometimes you can have 3rd Air unit which can use caster role and what ever is the point of Gyrocopter.

Special Units (number depends)
First that comes to mind is Siege a unit I haven't seen here. More strange as usually there are 2 of them with one being the obvious long ranged siege unit. Other are more interesting like Riders, Mountain Giants, Chimeras, Siege Tanks and arguably Frost Wyrms and Dragnhawks. Special units do not replace basic units and instead contribute the tactical part of the game by using their abilities. Riders can't replace grunts as melee units as they have medium armor for example and don't even try to use Mountain Giants as tier 3 melee they are tanking units.

Level 3
@Soul of Blood: I like your ideas! Sadly, I am not that good with advanced Triggering of Spells, or using the JASS, GUI systems, but your ideas still sound good! I am still a rather "newbie"-leveled Race Creator, so I might have to have some help on the way to greatness, but I still appreciate the suggestions. Drop me a PM or anything if you feel like it!

@VeljkoM: As I said earlier, I am kind of a newbie when it comes to Race Making, so I apologize that I am moving away from the set guidelines, trust me I am not doing it on purpose! But I have been thinking about a Global upgrade which will give all Gilnean units increased attack and movement speed (Sort of like the Ghoul Frenzy), because they "awaken their inner feral instincts" or something. :p The Battle Wolf's second upgrade I can change to something else, so he doesn't get stacking advantages of the same upgrade. :p

Level 3
Thanks for the compliment, Freud, on the other hand it isnt really hard to make and requires very little triggering. Im not so good at Triggering myself but I can create decent terrain (Compared to Hive's Best it really sucks) and write, and I can probably make the units I described.

Level 20
I am not "pro" either I just have understanding of theory. I usually use Hive Spells (Gui only) or ask a friend for help. Sorry if I sounded judgmental just wanted to show list of units and then you can individually design unit to fit role best. Half of fun is to think of concepts. I would be also happy extremely if this race enters production stage and finally see working product that comes from this group.

Level 3
Some of it is already made by Freud, so a 'beginning' product has already been made, and we can supply ideas of our own which Freud can implement or we can implement if he gives permission or needs help, the only thing that might delay or hinder the map is the lack of models or Worgen themed resources :/

Edit: Here are the Hero Ideas that I got Inspiration to write :D

Pack Leader: A Hero that mostly relies and benefits other Worgen.
Abilities:
Loyal Presence: Makes nearby Worgen stronger and have more health
Calling: Summons worgs, number and strength varies on level of the ability.
Savage Howl: A combination of a active linear ability and an active aoe ability, the Pack Leader sends out a devastating shockwave that damages foes, then later stuns them on higher levels and the aoe effects nearby worgen, making the attack faster and hit harder, higher levels will increase health.
Full Moon: The Ultimate, The Pack Leader turns into a giant Worg for a limited time, making nearby Worgen go into a frenzy, the Pack Leader himself is stronger and faster and harder to kill and gets a new set of abilities for the limited time.

Worgen Sniper: A hero that relies on long distance and damage, is weak in terms of health and armour.
Abilities:
Rifle: A passive ability that increases the Hero's damage and slightly faster attack rate, higher levels have a chance to give a negative damage over second effect.
Long Shot: A linear ability that targets only one unit or hero but any other unit in the line of fire gets damaged for a quarter of the damage, main target gets a bleeding effect and has a chance for "Bone Shot" Which slows the unit or Hero down.
Sprint: The Hero gets faster for a limited amount of time, levels increase speed and time limit.
Hell Fire: The Hero's attack speed is drastically reduced but each shot creates a massive explosion (Flamestrike) targeted enemies get Fire which is a damage over time and the initial attack is huge, the time is only good for three shots, if a friendly is effected it takes a small portion of the damage and gets Flame, which deals damage but gives a "Spiked Barricades" effect.

Worgen Champion: A melee hero which relies on it's armour and health and melee abilities.
Abilities:
Quake: A aoe effect which damages units and stuns in later levels.
Frenzy: The Champion hits faster and harder and effected enemies get a bleeding effect.
Cleave: A passive and active ability, when passive it is a normal ability but when active it is similar to Quake except it is linear and does not stun.
Blood Bath: The Hero goes rabid and nearby Worgen attack harder, every hit of the Hero is stronger and gives a bleeding effect and the Hero gains a vampirism effect which is not an aura, killed enemies also give 30 hp to max health, but the health gained is lost when Blood Bath is on cooldown.

Worgen Arch-Druid: A magic hero relying on abilities and mana
Abilities:
Concoction: A ward that heals, gives damage bonus and on later levels gives attack speed boost. stronger than the Herbalist
Wrath of Nature: An aoe that damages effected enemies, later levels give a bleeding effect and Ensnares them on highest level.
Cleanse: Like War Stomp, except it does not damage but heals nearby units and on later levels rids them of negative effects.
True Form: The Druid transforms into a Wolf, it can shift between Worgen-Wolf form at will, when it is a wolf it loses it's Druidic abilities but gains a massive damage bonus (The Druid is weak normally) speed bonus, attack speed bonus and a health and armour gain. It also gains Deadly Claws which has a chance to give a bleeding effect, Howl of terror and Leap, which is basically a blink ability.

Edit: Either people are too busy or this topic is dead :( sad, this map had a lot of potential

Level 18
I think worgen have Druids instead of mages.You should give worgen race a Druid name Druid of the Pack/Druid of the Sythe.The first ability of the Druid is howl which increase regeneration & attack.The second ability u should give the Druid is Burning Flames an ability made from parasite but can't summon units only damaging them.The third ability u should give to the Druid is Feral Form it turns the Druid into a fierce & feral wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.