1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Do you have good ideas for new contests? If so, please open new threads in the Contest Submission sub-forum to discuss them.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Wilderness Survival Updates

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by JaysProjex, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mamba81

mamba81

Resources:
    Resources:
    I registered a username once I found this thread. I really admire you working so hard on this map so late in the WC3 life cycle and I thought I'd chime in so maybe I could help with the motivation a bit. ;D

My friend and I were playing a LAN game of Wilderness survival 1v1 about a month ago and loving it. It seemed every time we played we were talking about how awesome it would be if someone were to expand upon the idea.

I stumbled upon your thread about 20 minutes ago and couldn't believe it! Someone actually was making it happen!

You are a champion for making this map and I think it really will be appreciated within the community! I wish I could help out but I'm only good for melee maps and primitive triggering within the editor. However if you needed beta-testers i'd be glad to help.

Also, I hope you'll add the possibility of playing with only one team if you haven't already. I couldn't really tell from your original post if you had nor not. Like the poster on the previous page said, it's fun just to stick it out in the wilderness with a friend and with the previous game that wasn't possible.

Again, thanks for all the hard-work man! If I wasn't totally broke I think I'd even make a donation. Keep it up and I'm looking forward to the finished product!

-Chad

2. boyot888

boyot888

Resources:
    Resources:
    same here!

Is there going to be a BETA version?

3. espatula

espatula

Resources:
    Resources:
    ice sword should cause more damage or slow, cause it's the same damege that the spear, plus the spear can be shot.

The Bone Helm bug my computer.

4. Gausslander

Gausslander

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Moar screenz pl0x

5. SonOdin

SonOdin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nice map. Fun to play.

Some ideas:

Remove the floating bag. It looks stupid.

Tamed animals should move freely but only attack enemys.

New recipes:
    dogs collar- to gain controll of tamed wolf
    backpack- that gives u the new bag skill (more slots)
    sleeping bag- recieving energy while sleeping faster
    waterskin- to carry water
    fence- to build it around the base to avoid wolfs entering the base, while u are away from it.

The "story" of this map is, that u are stranded on a winter island? The target should be leaving the island. Maybe final recipe is a big ship. To build it u need a lot of wood, stone, pelt, leather etc...

Tamed rabbits breed, so u get more rabbits to eat.
    Neandertalers. CPU controlled enemy tribe.

Hope u will finsh this map and maybe add some new stuff.
    Keep on the good work! Its one of the best maps i have ever played in wc3.

6. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Screenshots would be nice too:)

7. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok I think most of you are missing the first post that I wrote mostly everything that is being done to the map and firstly Id like to say yes the map is taking along time to accomplish but I've been really busy lately. Now to answer SonOdin. I'm actually disappointed that you didn't read anything on the very first post of my thread otherwise you wouldn't have asked those questions. The bag isn't there for looks its there to use because I couldn't trigger a better system for a backpack. Also as said in the very first post it has been already removed and replaced with a better system. Dog collar? Doesn't fit the taste of my survival map at all. Sleeping bag? Waste of a recipe & time there are already shelters in the game that recover energy. Waterskin? Another useless recipe there is a Well that you will be able to create in game and move around. Fence? Again as shown in the first post there are wooden walls that you will be able to make. Tamed rabbits breed? And again as shown in the first post all animals and tamed animals will be able to breed. Computer controlled AI's, ok people your asking for alot when it comes to AI control... there are many items and many things that would need to be triggered for them to work properly I don't have the time to do this however it would be a really awesome idea for me to implant it but it mostly likely wont happen sorry.

My map isn't a story its a game. Your idea to create a ship and sail off is basically saying game over. Wilderness Survival is about a fight for survival and more of who can survive the longest not who can be the fastest to get a game win.

-Gausslander
    -Miss Foxy
    Ummm there are screenshots on the first page that's really all there is. Animals, items, and structures are not spawned in the screenshots plus I don't want to spoil everything.

As for the rest of you there is NO BETA to be released to anyone outside of the testing phase CREATOR/ASSISTANTS/& TESTERS ONLY. When it comes out it comes out and hopefully 100% working with very little problems

8. ironman47

ironman47

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm sorry to hear that there won't be an AI for this map as I like the ability to play a map by myself as do many others I'm sure.

I recently triggered a custom AI on a friends map > Modern War.

It took a while to make (a bit complex) but in the end it turned out quite well. The AI will build all buildings on the map, gather resources, replace any lost workers, rebuild destroyed structures, upgrade to the modern age, defend they're base, train units, form an attack group and attack a human player at random. The point I'm trying to make is it's an intelligent AI.

If your interested I'd be willing to make an AI for your map as I'm a big fan of survival maps.

Just let me know if ya want my help.

And keep up the good work :D

9. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This map isn't meant to be played alone adding an AI for a survival map such as this wouldn't be very well polished and could ruin the gameplay. It involves almost every aspect of the game, the biggest problem for an AI to have in wilderness survival would be the environment and most likely making items as well. The pace of the AI would either be to slow, slow, fast, or way to fast balancing would take longer to implement. If there were modes to chose from I'm sure most people would pick the slowest difficulty AI if you wanted a fast AI they could just go play multiplayer but my point is everyone would just pick the slowest to figure out the game and slowy build and figure out all the items and what they do, no that's not how its meant to be played. It's suppose to be played online with other players the game is suppose to make you think fast.

10. humbas

humbas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Are you still working?

11. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, I also moved so I have no internet right now though so I can't test it online it will probably get released with in a few months.

12. Symon

Symon

Resources:
    Resources:
    This game is so damn boring because everyone just leave the game and then it ends. Wow. Realy amazing. Not...

Edit: Changed some words...

13. espatula

espatula

Resources:
    Resources:
    once people learn this, it get really fun
    unfortunately not every one stay until there

14. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Be more descriptive when you say boring.

Just so you know that could happen for any game. Honestly I think this game is amazing thus far and how would you know you haven't played the latest version? The thread specify's Wilderness Survival UPDATES<--- also under map development which means a new version is being created and if you don't like it then don't play it maybe this map isn't for you on the other hand I suggest you actually find people that play my map and give a try because I guarantee that you'll change your mind and say wow this is amazing... As a side note I will admit it does have a learning curve to it and it might take a few games to figure it out but the new version has a revival system so players won't have to leave I'm trying my best to fix all problems and add new features I'm sure all will be satisfied once its released. Thanks!

15. humbas

humbas

Resources:
    Resources:
    We want map! :p

I have question : How big will it be? I mean, how much space (Mb) does it take?

16. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Map needs a little more time my friend, the map is about 4MB (uncompressed) Also major updates listed on the first page for fans I would recommend for you everyone to check it out I'm open for opinions thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  17. Symon

Symon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I mean the "feature" that the game ends when there are no more enemies. And because the most of the ppl left after some minutes, it was realy annoying to restart the game everytime and just wait for the others to leave. A survival, and not deathmatch more would be cool.

18. UchihaSasuke.gr

UchihaSasuke.gr

Resources:
    Resources:
    That terrain looks realistic and at the same time playable and that is a strong point !

19. espatula

espatula

Resources:
    Resources:
    glad to see a out comming date ;D

20. humbas

humbas

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wooooohoooo!
    O' yea! I was waiting for this so long!

I have to install W3 XD