• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why was Friky disq'ed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Friky does not deserve punishment anymore.
His dark past is gone, and he contributed greatly by making freehanded resources and by helping & teaching other users.
It was and still is very noticeable.

I dislike CnP or such in general, but Friky actually turned his back to his previous trespass.

Exactly, this is what I'm talking about. Stop being cold-hearted bastards, and think about it for a little. And Captain Griffen, I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but seriously fuck off. You think he actually deserves this. After he tried so hard, to change things. I'm trying really hard to hold back my flame mode. You have to actually value what he's tried to do to change things. Not to mention he actually made a difference. Whoever thought of this punishment, stop think for a second, and read Paladon's post.

Level 24
YES. It was freehanded and of high quality.

Isn't his new skin on the texture competition the same then?
Why punish him now and not then?
The logic here just fails, just let him enter the damned contest and neg rep him as punishment or something like that.
It's totally unfair to not let him enter just cause one person was too lazy to inform such an important thing to him early.
You guys are just wasting his hard work (Yes, I know he can submit it to skins section, but that's not the point)

Freaking pissed off how the staff does things here

Level 30
Isn't his new skin on the texture competition the same then?
It is.
Why punish him now and not then?
Why is he even punished now? I don't know.
The logic here just fails, just let him enter the damned contest and neg rep him as punishment or something like that.
...which is long time outdated. And i bet he was already negrepped at that time.
It's totally unfair to not let him enter just cause one person was too lazy to inform such an important thing to him early.
The whole topic of this thread is unfair.
You guys are just wasting his hard work (Yes, I know he can submit it to skins section, but that's not the point)
I agree.
I agree. Although i do not know whos decision it was.

Level 35
Then deal with them too.

I shall indeed.

Is it insulting to call a murderer a murderer? Or not to let a convicted pedophile work as a teacher?

It would seem to be so. Would it not?

He is scum. I treat people like they deserve.

The Golden Rule will not find you so in forgiving eyes either, Captain Griffen. Don't forget that you are not exactly the paragon of high citizenry yourself!

___

I highly disagree with punishing him in the middle of a contest...but this is not my area and all I can say is this:

"Why now?"

And if he was indeed NOT cheating in this contest...let him finish...and then give him the punishment for the next contests, as everyone keeps saying.

You don't drag a baseball player off the field in the middle of batting...just to say "HE DID STEROIDS! SORRY GOTTA PULL HIM OUT!"

Because you are liable to get hit in the face with the ball.

You don't drag a baseball player off the field in the middle of batting...just to say "HE DID STEROIDS! SORRY GOTTA PULL HIM OUT!"

The regulators that manage drug testing are more organised than the staff here so that baseball player would never have even started playing. And even if he did start playing, they would drag him off. Ever heard of a timeout?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
He may have CnP'd some work, doesn't mean you should hold it against him though. If he's made an original, then he should be allowed to enter the contest.

Sorry if this isn't what the thread's about, I'm going out and hungover at the mo', so I can only briefly scan through the thread.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
What I think... Is that this thread is becoming a Flame War. Half of the users here insult each other and the other half make posts on topic. So, stop this flamming.

My opinion: FrIkY made errors in the past, alright. But, why ban him at the exact time of the contest? If the ban is necessary, do it, but after the contest, otherwise, weeks of work will be lost.

Level 34
I agree that I should be punished for my sins, I did a really horrible thing during that contest. But... punish me after this contest ends and let me participate... please... I promise I will never do it again, no, I will never think about it again in my life! I will try to improve myself even more, I'll help, do requests, review maps, give tips and useful comments! Anything! ... Give me a six months ban from contests if you want, but please let it be after the #13 Texturing Contest.

Level 24
Meeh, illogical, slow staff. If he could enter the Phoenix Trial, why can't he enter this one?
He did freehand, quality work in the phoenix trial.
He's doing freehand, quality work in the current contest.
No difference at all, either let him continue with this contest, or you will be stalked by the ghost of illogicality for the rest of your life.

Level 14
The point of punishments is to punish. They should be proportional to the crime, and effective enough to discourage others.

This leads to the logical conclusion of a ban for the pretty much ultimate sin in modding communities - that of passing off others' work as your own. Banning him mid-contest might seem harsh, but less harsh than he deserves.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
The point of punishments is to punish. They should be proportional to the crime, and effective enough to discourage others.

This leads to the logical conclusion of a ban for the pretty much ultimate sin in modding communities - that of passing off others' work as your own. Banning him mid-contest might seem harsh, but less harsh than he deserves.

He's already been punished, leave the poor sod alone. He has shown resent, and the main aim of punishment isn't -- ironically enough -- to punish. It's there to deter and rehabilitate, something which seems to have worked.

Level 14
He's already been punished, leave the poor sod alone. He has shown resent, and the main aim of punishment isn't -- ironically enough -- to punish. It's there to deter and rehabilitate, something which seems to have worked.

Deterance comes from the punishment. The punishing factor is, indeed, not the end aim, but it's necessary to acheive deterance.

So, why you didn't banned him before the contest?

Because they're incompetant, slow, and all round not really much good at moderation.

Doing it when his crimes were discovered would have been the best option.

Level 16
So if he is guilty of copying, punish him. It is sad that he is in the middle of a competition, but this is the way it is. Even if the admins are slow and it would be best to let him know before the contest. I dont understand that because he is in the middle of a contest is the only reason he can pospone his punishment. I think you should follow the rules and give a punishment to him, and afterwards things are good again. I think and hope that Friky will understand this as well. He can still finish the skin and submit it as a normal resource, right? And in other contests he can enter again (or depending on the punishment). You are saying his work will be lost. Why? It is just disqualified from the competition. Is it so harsh? It doesnt stop him from making skins, art or whatever. Just not for this competition. In my view it is kind of sad, but not so bad.

This is not against Friky personally, because i have said how i feel about it to him also.

Level 30
dude ...
/facepalm
This is just pathetic.
Friky cheated and I don't care how long it's been, I still don't trust him because what he has done. Who says he won't just cheat again? Think twice.
Will wants to make the arena work again, without the cheating and stuff ... and an ex-cheater doesn't really fit the picture he has figured out. Yes the staff is slow. Oh noez, drama! I feel so bad for you now, Friky ... Just submit the skin or w/e in the sections and you'll get some drama +rep ... If it's that what you want. It's not like you're banned from painting...
These contests were made to have fun and see who could do the best. Not for some stupid rep and a 10x10 pixel award icon >.> ...
Someone that doesn't get that ... and cheats, doesn't deserve the privilege to have fun in such a contest. I actually think he should be glad he's not banned for crying out loud. Sorry if I sounded rude by saying my oppinion but hey, I'm just being genuine ... This place is filled with stupid dramas ... I don't feel like sticking here much longer anymore >.<
Anyways, The topic was solved after the third post and It has becomen quite off-topic now. Perhaps it's time to close it?

Level 27
Close the thread? Why? I've got stuff to say that nobody has said yet. What's with all you people thinking you are valid judges to know when a thread ought to be closed? If you could judge that, one might think you would be a moderator who has the ability to do so.
the important thing is he's changed.
Lies! D:
Lies and slander! How could you even speak such horrible words?!

The notion the things change over time. Absurd...
You should value your users.
What?! This site is run for the mods and mods alone! Why else would we have ban powers?
users. They are what make the hive so great as it is right now.
This one isn't so percieved as blatantly true that I can sarcastically respond as some illogical fool. This one I have to explicitly agree with using words to show my agreement. What you say is completely true. Additionally, there isn't anyone besides the normal users making the site a great as it is right now.
This is ridiculous, Fr1kY is being punished now for something he did in
October last year?
That's it! I warned you guys. I'm going to -rep you.

When I get around to it...
art theft is inexcusable.
As an artist, I beg to differ. :D
Cheat once, get a massive warning and possibly a ban from the next competition. Cheat the second time, ban forever. End of story. What kind of a noob would give someone four chances?!
Yes. As it would happen, FrIkY did not cheat three times. What he did was CnP three times. (Unless I'm terribly, terribly, mistaken. In which case, I would hope someone would be so kind as to correct me.)
All of the contests would be contests of who can cheat the best.
They already are. It is an effect of public voting.
I think FrIkY is one of the very few cases that succeeded in somewhat redeeming himself.
Very, very, few.
Eventually, I think most of us will learn to forgive him.
I dunno. People tend to forget they they have the ability to forgive.
Imagine yourself working on a map for an year and then your map is denied due to a past offence of... let's say deprotecting a map.
I'd pack up and leave. There's only so much you can do incompetently before you get called incompetent.
However if he has stolen work then he needs to be punished for that.
Hasn't he already? (Open question.)
Plenty are. Even (especially?) among the staff.
I think that it's ridiculous for you to criticise the staff for this though. FrIkY WAS the instigator here, so you shouldn't deify him or anything.
The two are neither the same, nor carry any implication of the other.
You especially don't do it months after the fact. :p
Or the bat.
I agree that I should be punished for my sins
Well too bad. It's not up to you! >:D
But... punish me after this contest ends and let me participate... please... I promise I will never do it again, no, I will never think about it again in my life! I will try to improve myself even more, I'll help, do requests, review maps, give tips and useful comments! Anything! ... Give me a six months ban from contests if you want, but please let it be after the #13 Texturing Contest.
Whereas some would see this as an opportunity to really punish, seeing as you actually care about it for the punishment to be effective at all, I see all the more reason to forgive.
He's already been punished, leave the poor sod alone.
Aye.
The punishing factor is, indeed, not the end aim, but it's necessary to acheive deterance.
Your assertion is that there is no other method to achieve deterance. How easily it is tested.
We also wouldn't have a liar, a cheat, and a thief in the community.
We don't now. (At least not FrIkY.)
He's the same man, whether his actions have changed or not.
Please give logic to support your assertions, so others may find reason to assert them as well. To counter your assertion, one need only understand time.
Who says he won't just cheat again?
Most importantly, he himself has said so. Aside from that, now he knows he cannot get away with it.
Someone that doesn't get that ... and cheats
You speak in present tense. What you speak of happened in the past. The present is not the past. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to tell time had passed.
doesn't deserve the privilege to have fun
Any statement that contains that substring as a positive assertion, is a statement I cannot agree with.
It has becomen quite off-topic now. Perhaps it's time to close it?
The hell it has. It sure is a good thing we don't allow everybody the ability to close threads.

Level 14
Yes. As it would happen, FrIkY did not cheat three times. What he did was CnP three times. (Unless I'm terribly, terribly, mistaken. In which case, I would hope someone would be so kind as to correct me.)
He's a known art thief, and has lied every single time about his use of CnP. He's been using friend votes in polls and is generally known as a cheater.

Apparently it's not only CnP. Now, I'm not saying he hasn't learned from his errors, but going around cheating, knowing you will get away with it if you only "learn from your mistakes" is a big loop hole which anybody that's at least semi-smart can exploit.

And as Captain Griffen said, maybe banning him from this contest, and forcing his entry to go down the drain is indeed a proper punishment.

Sorry, FrIkY, but I don't tolerate cheating, no matter how good the user is in other aspects.

Level 27
While not knowing the full situation personally, I am not prepared to call him a thief. Partially because the rules have changed over time and warped perceptions to call things thievery when they are not. Partially because I have strong doubts about the ability of many of the people who come to this site to be good judges of character.
you will get away with it if you only "learn from your mistakes"
And never do it again. If you ever do it again, after saying that you would never do it again, then you have lost the possibility of redemption almost completely.

My criteria is not so simple as, "Apologize and I'll forgive you." Furthermore, my criteria is not static. If I were to tell you the exact conditions under which I would or would not forgive someone, then in doing so I have created a situation that has never been encountered before. Basically, you have to figure it out every time. Nobody can look at this instance of forgiveness and mimic it in order to earn illegitimate forgiveness from me.

Level 35
I agree that I should be punished for my sins,

Realization.

I did a really horrible thing during that contest.

Realization #2

But... punish me after this contest ends and let me participate... please... I promise I will never do it again, no, I will never think about it again in my life!

Penance, and repentance.

I will try to improve myself even more, I'll help, do requests, review maps, give tips and useful comments! Anything!

More penance.

___

These are the classic signs of being truly sorry.

While highly unorthodox...

I am convinced that perhaps we might try 'mercy' in this case.

ONE more chance, along with a ban from future contests.

If at any point that he cheats in a future contest, (and I mean he really cheats, not just us looking for excuses)...he is banned permanently and his award icons and reputation rewards removed. (a worse punishment than what he would receive now)

And if he cheats in this contest, with this entry...He loses not only his awards, and given reputation awards, and is banned from contests permanently, but he also gets a permanent infraction (or long lasting one).

This is my opinion...

I have no respect or pity for art thieves and neither should any of you.

Neither do I, but I do have an ounce of mercy when the user is begging for it. But there IS that condition of:

"Fail my trust, fail my mercy...and you get triple the punishment."

That usually seals the deal nicely.

____

He's the same man, whether his actions have changed or not.

A man's actions define a man, not his words, if his actions have changed, his being has changed also, even if indeed he is wrapped in the same flesh, bone, and forum profile as the man he was once before.

We also wouldn't have a liar, a cheat, and a thief in the community.

So...throw any form of mercy to the wind, and harshly punish repentant users who commit various site crimes, such as thievery, trolling, flaming, insultive behaviours, spamming, etc, etc?

No mercy to the repentant users...

What do we do to those who continually do such things as I listed, and are entirely unrepentant?

Do we do these things to users, even if they contribute much to the community? Repentant or not?

What about users who have done things such as the above, punished them for their crimes...and then reversed our punishments? Do we...re-punish?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I didn't know you were running the competition, Elenai.

But besides the point. I have no respect for art thevies, however tracing something isn't thieving. He should have gave credit, but he didn't. Heck, if you all hate ate thieves then you should hate squiggy. Kim proved he traced a few of his pictures, and he said sorry and we've all forgotten about it.

'Lay the past to rest', I believe is the right phrase. This site isn't rocket science, nor is it serious business. Just let sleeping dogs lye.

1164067718140pu4.gif

Or cats, in the case of the above picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.