• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why Terran isn't balanced against Zerg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
#1 Hard and Soft Counters -
Against Zerg, a Terran of equal skill should never lose, unless they make a grave error. Why? Because Terran has hard counters to Zerg units, while Zerg has only soft counters to Terran units.

Take this scenario for instance: The Zerg player masses Roaches, who are armored, so the Terran masses Marauders (Marauders are a hard counter to Roaches, they eat them alive). So the Zerg player masses Hydras, a soft counter to Marauders, they don't do any extra damage to Marauders, but they don't take any additional, so they can be effective against Marauders, but they aren't as effective as Marauders are vs Roaches. The Terran player masses Hellions, a hard counter to Hydralisks. Niether Roaches or Hydralisks hard counter Hellions and Marauders, while Hellions and Marauders hard counter Hydras and Roaches. Zerg loses, and Zerglings won't do any good, also hard countered by Hellions, and Zerglings don't hard counter Marauders.

So the Zerg player turns to the air, and gets Mutalisks, a hard counter to Hellions and Marauders since they can't hit air units. So the Terran player grabs some Marines, a soft counter to Mutas, and a few Thors a very hard counter to Mutas, so much so as they eat them up unless you micro them hard. So the Mutas become ineffective.

At that point the Terran player can move at your base, before you can get enough Vespene to have an effective force of Infestors, Ultralisk or Broods to do anything. You might be saying "just skip the mutas dummy!" In that case you'll be dead too, because the Hellions and Marauders will run over your base (Marauders hard counter spine crawlers too...)

Honestly your best chance is to use Banelings well. But this is a risky proposition that sucks up Vespene and becomes pointless if they go Banshees/Vikings.

#2 - Hellion Harrass
Zerg is a race all about mobility. Hellions are incredibly mobile and rob the Zerg of this advantage, with their ability to tear through Zerglings, Hydralisks and most importantly, Drones. Early game a Zerg player has to get a few Spine Crawlers, further reducing their mobility and offensive power to hold off the Spine Crawlers, or depend on Roaches (easily counter by Marauders).

You can put the Zerg in a big hole with Hellions, and there isn't much the Zerg can do about it, unless they want to put themselves in a big hole by purchasing static defenses as a mobile race.

#3 - Surrounding Thors with SCV's
My favorite trick, and one that has never failed me, is to build some Thors and send them against the enemy surrounded by SCV's. Zerglings and Ultralisk don't auto attack the SCV's reparing the Thor, so they will run around like Chickens with their heads cut off while I massacre them (The SCV's physically block the melee units from hitting the Thors, and they can also repair each other if a Zerglings is microed to attack). The Hydras and Roaches will waste their firepower on the Thors since the SCV's repair so quick, and the whole Zerg force dies.

Now you might say "just target the SCV's!" And it would work (especially with an Infestor) except I cover up my Thors with a huge force of Vikings and Banshees... so you can't accurately select the SCV's. And even if you did take one down, you'd still have to continue the micro madness against my other Thors, who with the Vikings and Banshee would have picked off any Infestors or Banelings by that time.

This also works vs Zealots.

Match Point - Terran. Hopefully these issues will be address in a patch.

Level 40
I was tempted to stop reading after your first sentence since it shows that you're full of shit. I read your second paragraph and gave up there; Hydra/Roach is an effective composition against MMM and yet by your argument it should lose.

The actual problem with the matchup can be summarized in one word: Reapers.

Level 22
I'll give him a B for the attempt because he wants his opinion to be seen like I wanted all to see the situation on bnet before it got closed on TL.

I've seen in beta several top replays reapers doing quite well vs zerg. But when I try them, is it because my opponents for having less skill use diff units, they make me roaches or hydras, very early, couldnt do much when they camp, never got any gg from reapers, vs toss i did lots of times but vs zerg never helped me.

Level 5
infestors used skillfully rape any terran force, something the terran counterpart to infestors (ghosts) cannot do to zerg

roaches are pretty cost-balanced with marauders to be honest. they deal 15 damage to marauders and take 19, and cost less to produce. You can build 3 roaches for 225/75 in 27 seconds after investing 350 in tech, compared to needing 300/75 + 600/75 in tech before you can build 3 marauders simultaneously in 30 seconds, or 300/75 + 175/25 in tech to build 3 marauders in 90 seconds. the problem is zerg players arent diligent about creep highways and cry about imbalance when they get out-concaved or dont research burrow or try to play it like ZvZ and never tech past banelings

if you want people to take you seriously, don't talk about hard-counters unless you're going banshees vs. zerglings or something that is literally impossible to lose.

a solution to the scv surround problem is to give scvs no pathing when they are repairing, similar to how they have to pathing when collecting

Level 22
Against Zerg, a Terran of equal skill should never lose, unless they make a grave error. Why? Because Terran has hard counters to Zerg units, while Zerg has only soft counters to Terran units.

League?

yeye, TL was full of Terran has everything, Zerg has nothing.

Take this scenario for instance: The Zerg player masses Roaches, who are armored, so the Terran masses Marauders (Marauders are a hard counter to Roaches, they eat them alive). So the Zerg player masses Hydras, a soft counter to Marauders, they don't do any extra damage to Marauders, but they don't take any additional, so they can be effective against Marauders, but they aren't as effective as Marauders are vs Roaches. The Terran player masses Hellions, a hard counter to Hydralisks. Niether Roaches or Hydralisks hard counter Hellions and Marauders, while Hellions and Marauders hard counter Hydras and Roaches. Zerg loses, and Zerglings won't do any good, also hard countered by Hellions, and Zerglings don't hard counter Marauders.

#2 - Hellion Harrass
Zerg is a race all about mobility. Hellions are incredibly mobile and rob the Zerg of this advantage, with their ability to tear through Zerglings, Hydralisks and most importantly, Drones. Early game a Zerg player has to get a few Spine Crawlers, further reducing their mobility and offensive power to hold off the Spine Crawlers, or depend on Roaches (easily counter by Marauders).

You can put the Zerg in a big hole with Hellions, and there isn't much the Zerg can do about it, unless they want to put themselves in a big hole by purchasing static defenses as a mobile race.

Are you ridiculous? Hellions being a counter to roaches/hydra? Do you know that Hellions are best for first minutes vs zerglings, when he starts massing Roaches, not to say Hydra, Hellions die like bugs... And while since SC1 Terran never had a unit to do open battle with zerglings, finally they have. Hellions just make that equal so quit crying, this is retarded about hellions being imba.

So the Zerg player turns to the air, and gets Mutalisks, a hard counter to Hellions and Marauders since they can't hit air units. So the Terran player grabs some Marines, a soft counter to Mutas, and a few Thors a very hard counter to Mutas, so much so as they eat them up unless you micro them hard. So the Mutas become ineffective.

You got that right, but ever cared to see just a recent how-to-attack thors with mutas? Im sure not.

At that point the Terran player can move at your base, before you can get enough Vespene to have an effective force of Infestors, Ultralisk or Broods to do anything. You might be saying "just skip the mutas dummy!" In that case you'll be dead too, because the Hellions and Marauders will run over your base (Marauders hard counter spine crawlers too...)

Honestly your best chance is to use Banelings well. But this is a risky proposition that sucks up Vespene and becomes pointless if they go Banshees/Vikings.

Hellions are just useful in the first minutes vs zerglings and while there are lings (zerg+bane). When lings stop, hellions become useless. Learn it, watch some top replays. I've found that out myself too.

My favorite trick, and one that has never failed me, is to build some Thors and send them against the enemy surrounded by SCV's. Zerglings and Ultralisk don't auto attack the SCV's reparing the Thor, so they will run around like Chickens with their heads cut off while I massacre them (The SCV's physically block the melee units from hitting the Thors, and they can also repair each other if a Zerglings is microed to attack). The Hydras and Roaches will waste their firepower on the Thors since the SCV's repair so quick, and the whole Zerg force dies.

Now you might say "just target the SCV's!" And it would work (especially with an Infestor) except I cover up my Thors with a huge force of Vikings and Banshees... so you can't accurately select the SCV's. And even if you did take one down, you'd still have to continue the micro madness against my other Thors, who with the Vikings and Banshee would have picked off any Infestors or Banelings by that time.

This also works vs Zealots.

Match Point - Terran. Hopefully these issues will be address in a patch.

Zerglings and Ultras combo vs Terran? Really? Never seen that being used in 1v1, where do you play, bronze? You never do any other non-melee units? You have infestor spells /Fungal growth, posses or whatever the name/?

This is just another ridiculous thread because it is stating that everything Terran does is op and everything zerg does is too weak, bringing some ridiculous examples like the Hellions factor and how melee cant reach thor. hahaha lol nap

i've seen ling and ultras in 1v1. it was a diamond player vs a gold player. the diamond made 4 expands while the gold didn't had one. the diamond was zerg, he decided to screw and made 54 banelings then devastated the base.

anyway why not? zergling ultra is a good combo if he hasn't made air ofc. and zerg is adaptive, the zerg player can always go hydra.

Level 8
Plat league.

Already played 2 games as a result of this thread.

BronzeKnee. Take me on, you'll lose horribly. I eat Zerg alive. Try and focus my Thors and Scvs. I invite it, I expect it. Just don't forget how hard it is when I'll have my Banshees above.

And don't forget to then micro back to your base at the same time while I dump in a bunch of Vikings on your workers. Then try and focus another SCV. Remember, you won't auto attack them. And make sure you got the upgrades for Hydras or Roaches and have a lot of em, or SCV's will repair faster. And don't focus the Banshee, I just pull em back or repair and you die quicker. Well just as quick.

I don't have to do any microing. I just laugh at the slaughter.

Or go play with the editor, give the Zerg 50% more resources and build two balanced forces, 1 Terran and 1 Zerg. Tell me who wins. Or I can tell you now, the Terrans do.

But don't take my word for it, take the professional (as in paid) SC2 players, who are abandoning the race, and these are (or were) the top 5 Zerg players:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/375111759

Except that his opinion is provably wrong in so many ways it's not even worth attempting to break down.

But it was worth it to write that?

Purple you sir, follow me around across multiple websites and forums and flame me. Why do you feel so threatened by me?

I am truly sorry COTH was more popular and better than any of your maps. Get it over. Why do you follow me around?

Is that enjoyable? I wouldn't know. I spend my time to doing and talking about things I like, and I love life. I imagine if you spend time talking about things and people you hate, you must hate life. Shame.

Level 3
I think your underestimating the zergling, they are really great in most situations. Zerglings are meant to be in a mass and to be in a composition
. They are very good at diverting damage and preventing movement via surrounding.

If they have banshees, they can't kill 1000 zerglings at once.

Hellions only attack in a line, if zerglings have speed bonus they can surround them pretty easily, plus if the hellions focus and zerglings, your hydras can take them down pretty quickly.

Marauders cannot attack zerglings fast enough, and if they don't attack them then the zerglings will kill them.

Also Zergs are not an offensive race, you are not supposed to attack aggressively early game. So building spine crawlers should not be a problem for any sort of early push. Watch some TLO as Zerg ;], he uses zerglings a lot.

Level 11
Plat league.

Their certainly arrant any noobs in the platinum league, thats for sure! (sarcasm)

Already played 2 games as a result of this thread.
Wow! 2 whole games!

BronzeKnee. Take me on, you'll lose horribly. I eat Zerg alive. Try and focus my Thors and Scvs. I invite it, I expect it. Just don't forget how hard it is when I'll have my Banshees above.

Mass zerglings can take down any amount of Thors. In my experience banshees (those r the cloaked fliers right?) have only been a problem when going after a base without any kind of detector. Since I like to go mutas in team play (they take the brunt, I harass everything else) I easily can own the banshees (oh yeah, im Zerg btw, duh).

As zerg I love playing against Terran. It's the protoss that annoys me. Those dang void rays and stalkers.

I don't have to do any microing. I just laugh at the slaughter.

You must play against some real noobs to not require any micro.

Level 8
Again, don't take my word for it, take the professional (as in paid) SC2 players, who are abandoning the race, and these are (or were) the top 5 Zerg players:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/375111759

I am not paid to play, so my life doesn't depend on it. Niether do any of yours I am guessing, but theirs is... listen...

When there is big changes to the balance, you'll all be eating your words, now won't you?

I think your underestimating the zergling...

Zerglings are good, until you hit SCV's surrounding Mech. The Zerglings won't auto attack, so you'll need to micro small groups of a huge group of zerglings to pick off the SCV's, and the zerglings die so fast (assuming you have a large group) that sometimes before you issue the order, the zerglings are already dead.

And let us say you're able to kill 4 scv's quickly around the Mech unit. Great, now you have 4 Zerglings attacking a Thor (who is also being repaired by other SCV's). Guess how much damage it will take? That's right, Zero.

Try it in the editor. Surround a bunch of Mech units with SCV's on autorepair and put some Vikings overhead blocking the view of the SCV's. Then create a large (50% more resources than the Terran force) force of Zerglings and rush it, and try to kill em. And that is fighting the AI.

Level 5
Their certainly arrant any noobs in the platinum league, thats for sure! (sarcasm)

Wow! 2 whole games!

Mass zerglings can take down any amount of Thors. In my experience banshees (those r the cloaked fliers right?) have only been a problem when going after a base without any kind of detector. Since I like to go mutas in team play (they take the brunt, I harass everything else) I easily can own the banshees (oh yeah, im Zerg btw, duh).

As zerg I love playing against Terran. It's the protoss that annoys me. Those dang void rays and stalkers.

You must play against some real noobs to not require any micro.

true words...

and besides, TheBronze, you dont have to follow all instructions the 5 top zerg players give you, since this is the very very very high end league and isnt related to platinum or diamond (10-) league

there are videos of known warcraft 3 pros and leading starcraft 2 players (terran vs zerg), with MadFrog (who doesnt know him?) and a japanese pro, and the zerg owns the terran through endless harassing

Level 22
That's what you starcrafters will have problem with. In war3 you are trying to save every single unit, do something with every attacked, you've no idea how much this develops your reflexes, control and consequently your APM. I already saw my obvious domination over those who only know click and attack. But because this is not decided by micro that much, loss is possible ofc.

Yet, I've done pretty cool Medivac drop micro vs Warp Ray drop micro in a battle of war3 vs war3 player who was in Diamond. Especially with that higher game speed.

Did you see TL thread about how to attack with Mutas? SCVs will lose to too much multiple damage, the rest is what battles you make at how many mutas vs how many thors+scv

But to the point:

IdrA - just when I was thinking he;s the man, now seeing he changes race, tc tc I cant say much about him, definitely not the skill of Zpux, I wont even compare with Koreans..

Dimaga is good absolutely but again Zpux, HayPro I think were much brighter players. so this doesnt have to be so decisive. Moman - other than he's good I cant even compare him with anyone of the above in skill. though he managed to reach a Zotac final once.

It's true that they will be enough Blizzard to take actions against Terran as in nerf them. I dont care, Unless they nerf Terran to ridiculousness, I never said there are things that cant be done:

I offered: Tanks require Armory, Thor requires Fusion Core, some +25 more gas on Tech lab or reactor (if not already so). What damage do you want to change, tank dmg got nerfed, thors?

And I dont understand why make this thread as a terran? Im also terran, that's not my concern, it's not like I beat every single zerg even if im best vs Zerg.. .

P.S someone post all the issues with current battle net, that's what needs a nerf, cause is mega imba bnet!

Level 11
That thread is old. Also, IdrA has stated that he is not going to change his race.

Also, zerg can counter terran mech. The real problems with ZvT is reapers and the window in which the zerg player cannot possibly scout the Terran (provided he is not bad) - after the wall is up, and before lairtech can pop.

Surround a bunch of Mech units with SCV's on autorepair and put some Vikings overhead blocking the view of the SCV's. Then create a large (50% more resources than the Terran force) force of Zerglings and rush it, and try to kill em. And that is fighting the AI.
clearly rushing zerglings into a siege tank line is a good idea. also, pure zerglings is a winning unit comp forever and ever. also, are we talking zerglings or speedlings? depending on how many tanks you have, speedlings should be able to kill them regardless.

Try it in the editor. Surround a bunch of Mech units with SCV's on autorepair and put some Vikings overhead blocking the view of the SCV's. Then create a large (50% more resources than the Terran force) force of Zerglings and rush it, and try to kill em. And that is fighting the AI.
And so i did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCeSaH1klc

Now its a cost equal army, 10 scvs and 1 thor vs 5 bane and 20 zerglings
10 scv == 500 res
1 thor == 500 res
5 bane == 500 res
20 ling == 500 res

banelings and lings have speed upgrades, thought lings don't need it
video was uploaded a few secs before this post, so it will take it a while to gain quality(you tube processing).
I made the ai to focus on the scv's when they are wiped out then attack the thor.

Level 9
I think much of the problem lies in the fact that a lot of Zerg units don't really have any bonus damage aspects like terran does early game. Zergling: No bonus dmg, Roach: No bonus damage, Hydra: none... Mutalisk: none, just a few like the corruptor have them, whereas on the terran side, I can hardly think of any unit other than the marine and battlecruiser that don't have bonus damage vs. something.

Level 22
I see Blizzard forums are spammed by 'Terran is unbeatable stories', Getting ridiculous? Some would say 'I owned some top silver player', notice, 'top silver' must be like 'gosu bronze' xD ... Some are just hearing what pros say and sthen - The Mighty Bronze Have Spoken.

There should be a point where some need to stop. There may be a few things to fix but not a whole, 'unbeatable' story. Too bad im missing the time to play now when zergs will just rage quit.

Level 40
And when the Zerg get buff or Terrans nerfed, you guys will be eating those words and I'll be bumping this thread.

ZvT is broken.
Yeah, I agree that ZvT is broken. As I said before, Reapers.

However, your arguments are also full of shit, which is a totally separate issue. You can be right for the wrong reasons, believe it or not.

Level 22
Did you guys ever considered that it's not just how you play vs race, it's how you play vs race on a certain map. For me reapers never did much unless my opponent is a bot. As soon as they get roaches and guard their minerals, you cant do much. I dont see what's so broken with Reapers. I should admit I havent used reapers enough vs Zerg but maps like Steppes, Desert Oasis, Metalopolis, Kulas are the viable options I see. You cant do that on every map.

Level 13
While Zerg were rather weak in beta (you had a better chance of lagging people out than winning) this has changed significantly...

Old image I made for a troll thread on SC2 beta site about Zerg being OP.
122052-albums3750-picture34545.jpg

The fact is, yes, in equal numbers - terran/protoss will destroy zerg. Zerg is about massing and micro.

Level 7
I find it funny how zerg players whine about not getting bonuses on their units when that's the entire point of playing zerg. Zerg are not meant to have bonuses because their units are cheaper and faster to produce which is why everything zerg is meant to be massed. Granted maybe Reapers in ZvT is broken as Poot says, but if your argument is that Zerg are bad because they don't have bonus damage then maybe you should play Terran or 'Toss instead.

Level 13
Zerg were overpowered before patch 12. Not sure what you are talking about.

Personally when I saw zerg come up in 2's I felt like I already won. Me and my friend played beta together most of the time.
Only thing patch 12 did was make less roaches for me to kill.

Edit: I guess I should mention we played T/P and I went siege/thor and he went void/carriers

Level 40
Hate to say it, but it's true. The fact of the matter is that very few good players play 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 (since many players are good because they focus on 1v1. That's not to say they never play team formats but they play them very infrequently compared to lower level players) compared to worse players and thus team games are biased towards players who don't have very good mechanics or strategy and can't beat straightforward builds like yours.

For reference, here's how I would beat your build with any races:

Terran, Terran: Marauder/Tank/Viking (One player goes pure vikings, other player goes pure Marauder/Tank).

Terran, Protoss: Stalker/Immortal/Viking (Stalkers are for harassment etc, Immortals are the only unit that actually engages the tanks/thors).

Terran, Zerg: Viking/Brood Lord (Brood Lords totally rip the Terran apart, Vikings rip the Protoss apart. Zerg also might have some spare Corruptors to engage Carriers).

Protoss, Protoss: Immortal/Void Ray or Immortal/Stalker (one player per unit).

Protoss, Zerg: Stalker/Brood Lord/Corruptor or Stalker/Mutalisk (assuming the Zerg player can micro Mutalisks against Thors).

Zerg, Zerg: Mutalisk/Corruptor/Brood Lord (Not necessary to have mutalisk micro vs thors, but it could help end battles much quicker than letting brood lords do all the work, and would let the other player focus more on corruptors).

--

Also, a t1/1.5 rush with any race combination would wipe the floor with you.

Level 3

Just a quick question, have u fought any zerg that researched neural parasite? I'm guessing from this post no, because with neral parasite they would just take control of your thors and turn them against u. Also how many thors? If its like 1 or 2, then you will need alot of support because 2 thors will have low damage output (high damage but low atatck rate)

The fact is, yes, in equal numbers - terran/protoss will destroy zerg. Zerg is about massing and micro.

micro? not really, terran and toss are more micro oriented than zerg who are a completely macro oriented. Good terrans are all about harrassing the opponent (they have like 9 ways to do so) wile protoss are the most micro oriented race, every single of their units has an ability to exploit.

The reason why a zerg army of equal size can't win against a terran/toss army of the same size is because it's harder for toss/terran to rebuild their army than zerg. Zergs can not only build multiple units of any tier at the same time, but they can also starve terran and toss production by using overseers, to bad they are so underused for that purpose.

Level 13
micro? not really, terran and toss are more micro oriented than zerg who are a completely macro oriented. Good terrans are all about harrassing the opponent (they have like 9 ways to do so) wile protoss are the most micro oriented race, every single of their units has an ability to exploit.

The reason why a zerg army of equal size can't win against a terran/toss army of the same size is because it's harder for toss/terran to rebuild their army than zerg. Zergs can not only build multiple units of any tier at the same time, but they can also starve terran and toss production by using overseers, to bad they are so underused for that purpose.

This. Assuming it's lategame, Zerg players will have ~4 bases. If there's more than one hatchery in the main, that's up to 5 hatcheries. There are 19 max larvae per hatchery. 19*5= 95. 95 hydras instantly after major fight hurray!

P.S don't bitch about hydras being easily countered. IT WAS AN EXAMPLE. >_>

Level 22
Hellions vs hydras !? From all top replays I havent seen this done once and I see myself what happens to hellions, unless you make a swarm to pwn hydras. Oh this can happen with any outnumbering, oh right.

Thors are the secret ingredient to a win vs Zerg. Not tanks, not pure meat. Exactly some newb massed me 25 hydras was something liek that. I had 7-8 thors and a little infantry, infantry died but THors survived, almost all. His hydras got MEGA PWNED

Level 13
Hellions vs hydras !? From all top replays I havent seen this done once and I see myself what happens to hellions, unless you make a swarm to pwn hydras. Oh this can happen with any outnumbering, oh right.

Thors are the secret ingredient to a win vs Zerg. Not tanks, not pure meat. Exactly some newb massed me 25 hydras was something liek that. I had 7-8 thors and a little infantry, infantry died but THors survived, almost all. His hydras got MEGA PWNED

Thors kinda counter hydralisks!

Ultras kinda hard counter thors!

BLs kinda rape thors sideways!

Status
Not open for further replies.