• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

why has a truly epic singleplayer campaign never been done ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
combine the best of the very best of terraining with a well coded and fluid third-person-view camera system, an excellent story concept, good balancing and triggering aswell as many details and features and an overall good concept design and you should get...

a singleplayer campaign that is beyond epic. obviously several maps long, with map branches based on story-critical decisions.

i can not understand why this has never been done before. there is a couple of highly above average campaigns, but none of them really reach level of perfection they could.

rarely does a campaign put alot of effort into every aspect of its design. its either beautifully terrained but lacks depth and balancing, or the other way around.

i would love to start a project to develop a single player campaign that is beyond awesome.

:<

but thats obviously quite a challenge to accomplish. any toughts ?

Level 7
It's been tried, but it takes a large group of people and then it usually fails for a few reasons. The group breaks up or one of the vital members of the group is forced to work on it for very little amount of time a day over a prolonged period of months. Some people get very impatient then they all abandon it because the impatient people leave. That or the group members arn't ready to start a project of that caliber, or many small problems can go wrong in which they have to comprimise and the campaign might not go as smoothly as they originaly thought it would.

Level 15
i'm actually trying to make one =))

with smth like 40 maps =))

EDIT: Rexxar-style campaign ofc, not linear =))

Level 15
generally i do too, but having a bunch of people that depend on you helps to concentrate on work =)))

btw, are you a terrainer/modeller by any chance? =))

Level 9
i am just a very creative dude.

good with triggers and good with terrain, no experience with modeling or jass whatsoever.

my biggest strenght however is, in my opinion, my ability to develop original concepts and my creativity.

:c i might start kind of a bigass campaign project, and see how far i get.

Level 6
i am just a very creative dude.

good with triggers and good with terrain, no experience with modeling or jass whatsoever.

my biggest strenght however is, in my opinion, my ability to develop original concepts and my creativity.

:c i might start kind of a bigass campaign project, and see how far i get.

creativity won't lead you to anything. If you don't know how to terrain or code to make such an epic map, your "creativity" would be shit.

Either you need to be a really epic terrainer, coder, modeller, and ideas generator or you're someone who knows an epic terrainer, coder, and modeller that is willing to do all the shit ideas that you're generating.

Level 3
combine the best of the very best of terraining with a well coded and fluid third-person-view camera system, an excellent story concept, good balancing and triggering aswell as many details and features and an overall good concept design and you should get...

This Wreckage of RDZ is a very good example of how a map must be.

a singleplayer campaign that is beyond epic. obviously several maps long, with map branches based on story-critical decisions.

Wanderers of Sorceria by RazorclawX is a very good example of how a campaign must be.

Level 6
This wreckage has flaws(some few badly imported icons, but who cares?). And i didn't love the choice of model for the final boss(it sucked actually. Scorpids are scorpions, and he gave as a humanoid robot).

Actually, if finished, the Everwood RPG would and might exceed the quality of alot of single player RPG maps and almost all multiplayer RPG maps.

I wonder why some mapmakers are afraid to use ideas from other maps. Face it, it's hard to be original in our world right now, so don't pretend that you have an original idea.

Level 6
one more thing. some rpg maps fail at one thing, they make seperate maps rather than a campaign style map.

Level 6
both. look at the dream of blood and its other maps, it could've been good. but since the maps/stories are divided, some won't know where to start. i didn't even know the dream of blood was chapter 2 of a series.

Level 9
i have never played "wreckage RDZ", and couldnt find anything either here nor on epicwar,

and judging from the screenshots wanderers of sorceria is a good project, but not

"truly epic"

Level 15
imho, best way to introduce the storyline was in Morrowind - nothing forced you to follow it, you were free to do what you want, yet there were hints that 'pushed' you to follow the story

say NO to strickt storylines =DDD

Level 9
thx for posting the map, i will check it out.

and agree about the non-linear storyline thing, although this one is hard to effectively implement in a warcraft 3 single player campaign

creativity won't lead you to anything. If you don't know how to terrain or code to make such an epic map, your "creativity" would be shit.

Either you need to be a really epic terrainer, coder, modeller, and ideas generator or you're someone who knows an epic terrainer, coder, and modeller that is willing to do all the shit ideas that you're generating.

with all due respect, i think that statement is utter bs. .___.'

Level 6
thx for posting the map, i will check it out.

and agree about the non-linear storyline thing, although this one is hard to effectively implement in a warcraft 3 single player campaign

well then give me a good map that wasn't made by an epic person or group persons.

Level 9
well then give me a good map that wasn't made by an epic person or group persons.

that statement doesnt even make sense.

but i will show you a map, that will be "epic" beyond comparison. and it will be epic due to the creativity invested, not the quality of the coding, or the quality of the terrain.

altough both these aspects will be above average.

Level 6
now do you see what these "mapmakers" say about "an epic map"?

it takes years. Heroes of Genesia is an epic map and it's not yet done. Alot of maps aren't done because if it's rushed, bugs, glitches, errors, and unprofessional mistakes would appear. Even This wreckage has same small errors that could've been avoided(but sadly wasn't)

Level 9
i can not play "this wreckage" sadly, due to the new patch and all that shit.

but i might have played it. is it a campaign in wich you control a squad of robots? and the maps are partially in third person perspective, with you walking trough snow landscape killing enemies?

if that is the case, it is in NO way an "epic" campaign. :u

Level 12

but i might have played it. is it a campaign in wich you control a squad of robots? and the maps are partially in third person perspective, with you walking trough snow landscape killing enemies?

You must've been out the entire last year( or the year before that maybe), if you missed the most awesome single player rpg ever created and it's not robots, it's a continuation of "When the Freedom Slips Away".

Level 2
The one with the robots is Dreamlord Ep. 2. Though it IS a very well made campaign - maybe you should try it beyond the first mission.

With all due respect, BS is right. You can't start a map without creativity. That's like trying to drive a car without wheels.

1. You can't be an epic terrainer without being able make unique, creative terrain. That's what makes them epic.

2. Coders are often just given tasks by the team leader - if he isn't creative, he might as well just get the hundreds of complicated code resources in this site and get a 0/10 in the creativity section.

3. Personal modelers aren't even needed to make an epic project; if you have enough creativity, you can slap together the most unlikely yet high-quality models and still be able to make sense of it.

Though, of course, all these things DO contribute to an epic project.

Besides that, I guess I'll try This Wreckage by RDZ and tell you what makes it epic. Yay for WC3 VS.

Level 6

Not even close to anything. There's no snow, and you don't control a squad of robots in 3rd person view.

And i would like to recommend you with "Warcraft Version Switcher" so that you can change your version from 1.20e to 1.24b in a snap of a finger.

Level 5
compromise

i am completely willing to help as long as i get some promises that u will help with my rpg after, i am a great terrainer/unit/item designer. "unit doesnt mean models"

Level 2
Is this a project leading to something or just a discution about campaign?
Cause I could help with the terrains, that's the only thing I have done for 3 years ^^ and GUI ofc.
And my maps never finished as well. But working as a team could help. :thumbs_up:

Level 4
Well because I'd rather just go play a real single player adventure game.

Entire point of using WCIII for me is that you can command units on a large scale with a high level of customization on the terrain/triggers/units/etc.

Level 2
Im attempting to put together a team currently to create the first 16 chapter part of a 3 part epic but ive had no offers to join. if ur interested, let me know and i'll tell u more

Level 37
Many have tried to make an awesome campaign but most of us have failed. One person cannot be good in all genres of map making. This is why there have to be a team to make the awesome campaign you want.

By making alone campaign it needs insanely amount of time and effort while teams fails sooner or later to different kind of reasons.

I have chosen to do a campaign alone with a lot of help from people. My own problem is that I'm not a good coderer, my english is not perfect and I'm not interested making any models. However, with the help of other people I can do a good campaign, but it just needs incredible amount of time and effort... To do alone everything in the end. 2 years of doing the same campaign and still not in beta, bah.

I don't recommend to do a huge campaign alone... But hey, if you are crazy like me, go ahead.

Do you guys want to work on a joke map?(the story is a joke but I want this map to be truly epic) I plan to have it voiced, I'm quite serious about it's gameplay, the map is just beginning to be worked on, and I think if you guys want a true epic map this one I have here would be perfect, I'll even give the creator of this thread the privilege of being project leader(with the condition that I get a good position) so, what do you say? If the person who started this thread says yes I'll be glad to link it. This map is written to make people laugh, but designed to make them have fun. The map is called The King and Me(I hope you got that subtle joke) I've created the title screen for the campaign and voiced it to a point but it'd be better if I had real voice actors(it's just my voice remixed in audacity, you can trace the same voice back to all the voice roots. I will post this map only if I get the okay to my idea from the person who made this thread. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.