• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Why do map files corrupt generally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
A simple question is why do the mapfiles corrupt at all?

I've lost all models three times this week.

One was an empty map with a few imported models to test my theory. After around 100 saves or so, the models stopped loading. They were SD models in HD. This map was saved just as a map. Non-folder version.

The second time I did another test with SD models on SD map. And the same thing again. After some saves the models stopped loading.

On another occasion I was making my project and it was a HD map with only HD models. They also stopped loading after an larger amount of saves. They worked like a charm in-game and in editor, before the file got corrupt. This map was saved as a folder-format.

None of the maps used same models.

I really like messing around with the editor, but I am starting to lose intrest. Everything works fine as long as I don't import anything into the maps.

Also if one of the models is/gets corrupted, why does it stop loading all the models?

Re-importing is also a big meh, you can do it, but then again after some time the models stop loading once again so I am running out of ideas really.

I am currently doing a fresh install, I removed ALL Warcraft III related files from the computer and from the registery. Except a few maps that I've done so far that I didn't have the heart to remove them.

Don't know if this helps, but I am still running Windows 7 ultimate (64-bit). One might condiser updating finally to win10, if anyone thinks it would help.

I had such problem 2-3 times. It';s because of a corrupted model that you imported. I don't know what happens there, but it wipes all your imported files to 0Kb.

Another thing that might cause it if you use NewGen and kill the process (or shut down PC) before it finishes saving the map.

Solutions:
- make sure you import working models.
- in options check 'create backup' and make it do often
- open your last backup
- save your map often
- when you notice that icons or models are not working check if it's the bug in teh import manager, then clsoe your map without saving and re-open it.

Something wipes everything imported in my map

Last edited:
Level 12
I had such problem 2-3 times. It';s because of a corrupted model that you imported. I don't know what happens there, but it wipes all your imported files to 0Kb.

Another thing that might cause it if you use NewGen and kill the process (or shut down PC) before it finishes saving the map.

Solution:
- make sure you import working models.
- in options check 'create backup' and make it do often
- open your last backup

Ok, thanks :). Somehow my fresh install managed to retrieve files :D it gave my map back too.

It almost looks like it restored some previous version of it. Mysterious. Only lost around 8-12h of work from last night and this day.

I am absolutely mortified.

Level 21
It happened to me once recently in a map with 400 imports (and this was because i didn't adhere to the golden rule), therefore i'm doubting if you follow that rule:

! After importing any file (especially models) and when done with adjusting the path (buttons, textures) save in the asset manager before going back to the object editor!

! Always save your map before testing!

Last edited:
Level 12
! After importing any file (especially models) and when done with adjusting the path (buttons, textures) save in the asset manager before going back to the object editor!

Oh, this is the first time I hear about this, thanks for the information.

Level 12
It also happens pretty frequently when you are using folder mode in the editor. It seems to be avoidable if you don't have your map folder open in explorer though.

I guess I did exactly that. I guess it's better to import the models in the old fashioned way rather than copying them into the war3mapimported file.

Level 16
I am currently doing a fresh install, I removed ALL Warcraft III related files from the computer and from the registery. Except a few maps that I've done so far that I didn't have the heart to remove them.
you might want to try the 1.31 backup version from hive. most say it is stable and can do campaings in it.
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

either that, or the good old 1.26

Status
Not open for further replies.