• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why did Blizzard's models stop appearing on my map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Two of Blizzard's models have stopped appearing in my maps. The models are the Spell Breaker and the Banshee Archer Hero.

I have done nothing to these models.

One day, I open my map and it says, "Unable to load Spell Breaker model" and "Unable to load whatever hero model" and gives those big green cubes for where they used to be on the map.

I tried loading up another custom map as well as a basic melee game and they were both there.

I tried loading up another custom map that had those models in the map editor. They were not there.

So then I closed the editor and loaded another version of the same editor I had. Lo and behold, the Spell Breaker and Banshee Archer heroes all load up just fine in the map editor. I do some more work on the map and save it.

Then, when it comes time to play it, the models do not appear in the map! But they appear in the editor! WTF!?

Anyone know what is going on and how do you fix this? Blizzard's models are appearing in the editor for my map but not in the game.

Level 5
I don't even know what a .slk optimizer is.

Nothing was done before it stopped seeing those models. I just turned on the editor this morning, loaded up the map, and saw how it can't see the models. Remember, this occurred with ALL maps loaded into the editor. Same exact models. I believe the problem is with the editor.

When I used another copy of the editor, the models all loaded fine.

However, my map has the Blizzard models appear in the editor but NOT in the game. I have no idea why this is. You'd think it would be the other way around, that the game could see it and the editor couldn't.

The Blizzard models appear as normal in the editor. They don't appear in the game.

I'm going to try another Warcraft 3 and see if it is the program itself that has the problem.

Level 5
Tried my map in another Warcraft 3 on another computer. Sure enough, the Blizzard models were missing.

This is the first time I've ever seen the editor see Blizzard's models but not see them in the game!

(Edit) -Now they are no longer appearing in the map editor.

Anyone know how I can fix my map? Or where do I start in trying to fix this problem? These are the default Blizzard models that aren't loading up. I still don't understand how this happened.

Last edited:
Level 4
Id say re install wc3...if you deleted a folder or something accidently...try placing a bunch of diffrent units from diffrent races into your map...save it..exit out of editor...open editor and your map and then see........test the map....

Level 5
Now when I load up my map in the editor, all the Blizzard models appear. However, one custom model does not appear (archmage on foot) which is odd because it had almost always been in the map. It wasn't a recent addition. I checked to make sure it was still in the imports and the path was correct. It was.

I try the map in the game and the archmage-on-foot model appears but those two Blizzard models do not.

It is strange that the map editor and the in-game keep cannot show different models.

I tried exporting unit data to a new map. Everything appeared as it should in the new map, Blizzard models and all.

I do not believe the problem is with my installation of Warcraft 3. I got identical results on another installation of War 3 on another computer. I believe it is with the map somehow.

Someone suggested replacing the MPQ in the map. How do I go about doing this? I believe this might be the answer.

Level 5
I was able to solve my problem. The solution I did was the long process of finding an old back-up file of the map and spend a long boring process of moving over the 'differences'. Currently, the map is in working order. I have no idea how this problem occurred.

I did find out that the problem map even began to stop showing off a few custom models (for whatever reason).

Warcraft 3 editing is pure hell at times. I guess the lesson is always, always, back-up. Your map could implode at any time and for no apparent reason.

I'll give you guys rep for trying to assist me. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.