• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Multiple questions about the warcraft 3 files and folder paths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
WARCAFT 3 MULTIPLE FOLDERS:

Hello all, feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

I have multiple issues regarding warcraft 3 folders and filepaths. After I downloaded reforged on release, I now have three Warcraft III folders.

Two of them are on users/ mydocuments, which contain Warcraft III and Warcraft III Beta folders.
Both of them have map files and other files.

I also have one more extra folder on D/Warcraft III, which I believe contain all the current data.

At this point I am so confused that I am thinking of a clean uninstall. I want to remove all files regarding warcraft III and re-install. Do I need to remove all warcraft III files from registery for a real clean uninstall?

Also when I downloaded reforged I lost some of my mapfiles, they are no where to be found.

Do I need to download or install the original Warcraft III and Warcraft III TFT, so I can download reforged again? If not, it's fine. I don't need the SD graphics for anything really :)

WARCRAFT 3 IMPORTING MODELS (Reforged):

Another question is where do I import custom models in reforged? Do I still need to change the model path? I read somewhere that they should be put into same folder with the map that uses them.

I am getting a bit sad of files getting corrupted and it might have something to with the multiple folders and bad import paths, due to that regard.

Level 11
In the reforged versions of Warcraft III, they moved all of the content that's not directly related to the engine into the Windows "Documents" folder. Here you will find all of the maps you've downloaded, along with screen shots, save files games write to disk, preference configuration, etc. This is located at C:\Users\Halithor\Documents\Warcraft III for me. The "Beta" version of this folder is for the PTR and will only be modified when you run the PTR of Reforged. You can select the PTR version in the Bnet launcher (right above the play button). They have separate folders in your Documents.

The other folder, most likely found in Program Files or wherever you installed the game, is the actual installed files for Warcraft III. I don't think this folder is as important anymore, since none of our content is found there. Mine is in "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III". One thing to note about this folder is that it doesn't use the MPQ format to store data anymore, it instead uses CASC, the newer storage format Blizzard created to replace MPQ. As such, MPQ tools won't work anymore and should be replaced by CASC tools.

I can't help you find your files. Maybe have your operating system to a full disk search for a filename you remember? In the future, always backup important work to another storage location. I used to use Dropbox to always have my maps up in the cloud.

On Importing Models:
I don't think there have been any changes in how importing files into maps is configured. One nice feature that reforged added is that you can save maps as a folder, instead of as a ".w3x". Importing in that case becomes as easy as dropping files into the folder. You can save a map as a folder in the "File -> Save As" Dialog, and select the folder as the "Save As Type" at the bottom of the dialog. I find it much easier to manage imported assets this way :)

Level 12
In the reforged versions of Warcraft III, they moved all of the content that's not directly related to the engine into the Windows "Documents" folder. Here you will find all of the maps you've downloaded, along with screen shots, save files games write to disk, preference configuration, etc. This is located at C:\Users\Halithor\Documents\Warcraft III for me. The "Beta" version of this folder is for the PTR and will only be modified when you run the PTR of Reforged. You can select the PTR version in the Bnet launcher (right above the play button). They have separate folders in your Documents.

The other folder, most likely found in Program Files or wherever you installed the game, is the actual installed files for Warcraft III. I don't think this folder is as important anymore, since none of our content is found there. Mine is in "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III". One thing to note about this folder is that it doesn't use the MPQ format to store data anymore, it instead uses CASC, the newer storage format Blizzard created to replace MPQ. As such, MPQ tools won't work anymore and should be replaced by CASC tools.

Ah I see, thank you :)

Level 12

Do you save your maps on the user/documents folder or into the install folder?

I got 3 mapfiles corrupted just this week. I'm doing a fresh install now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.