• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which type of forest (see pics) for Action RPG?

Which type of forest should I choose for my Action RPG?

• Open Forest

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Closed Forest

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Semi-Maze Forest

• One of the above choices + selectable trees

• One of the above choices + non-selectable trees

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi there,

I'm making an action RPG and I'm debating vs 3 types of forests.

1) Open Forest - Players can go through the forest with no problem. Should trees be selectable or non-selectable in game?
Random_Forest_1.jpg

2) Closed Forest - Players cannot enter the forest.
Closed_Forest.jpg

3) Semi-Maze Forest - Players can enter the forest in some places but might not be able to exit it without forging a path or choosing the correct path.
Should trees be made selectable, so players can forge an escape path, or non-selectable so they can't escape?
Random_Forest_Maze.jpg

Level 17
I rate semi-maze forest with unselectable trees. This way players could hide from others. You can still get abilities that kill trees even though they are unselectable. Although it may be better to make them selectable so you can attack them normally.

Level 28
It really depends on what kind of events you plan on using in the forest. For example, if there's an ambush, open forest with unselectable trees (that still block sight). If a maze, make only the important trees selectable (presumably the players aren't supposed to burn down the whole forest to escape). Closed forests should only be used as scenery, or places where there's really nothing to see or do.

Status
Not open for further replies.