• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Where to Save SCII Maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi this is maybe a stupid question but where shall i Save my downloaded SCII maps? i have no Maps folder or anything in my Starcraft 2 Folder so i have no idea what to do or where so save them

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If you mean play custom maps on battlenet, well you just download the map when you join it (once, it then caches the map and all mods it used) and play. Battlenet servers seem pretty fast, so fast that I highly doubt fan sites could ever keep up with the load they are recieveing. Because of this, it means that you can download custom maps that no one is hosting ultra fast and that you will nolonger get slow DL from games people are hosting as again the servers are ultra fast.

It protects from map theft because no one can steal your map name. If you name a map "Alien Ownage" then no one else could ever call their map "Alien Ownage". Because of this people will probably not play stolen versions of that map like "Alien Pawnage" or "Alien Ownage2" cause they are stolen (fake). On top of that it binds to your account, so people joining the game can see who published the map. So if they were playing a map from someone like me "DrSuperGood" and they suddenly see a very simlar named map by "TotalNoob" with the same minimap etc, they instantly know its stolen and need not play it.

This means that there is no real need to even protect your map cause stealing it / moding it is near impossible outside of testing the map solo. If you do choose to protect the map when publishing it is even safer however I still advise against this because it discourages learning (if you did something cool, people might want to know how so they can do so in future maps).

Level 3
The one problem with the whole battle.net is that if, like me, you just like making stupid maps and playing them with someone next to you, you have to upload it to battle.net and then get the other person to download it before you can play together, and then you get rated as a bad mapper because everyone can access it and rate about what an utter failer it is, also it just wastes time if you want to have a quick try to see if your multiplay function is working. I'm not saying I dont see why they did it, I'm just saying they should also make a quick LAN multiplayer function where you can play maps from your starcraft\maps folder with the person next to you, also a problem with their upload to battle.net for all multiplayer maps is there is gonna be a LOT of, well, waste of time maps that are stuck there, filling up lists.
I mean I can understand why they did it but, yeah twould be better for a warcraft III style lan multiplayer button.

End of angry rant.

wait no

also not being able to play US maps WTF!!?? most best maps are from different places of the world, as an proud Aussie thats just a pain!

Ok now finished

~Tyhone

Level 8
It protects from map theft because no one can steal your map name. If you name a map "Alien Ownage" then no one else could ever call their map "Alien Ownage". Because of this people will probably not play stolen versions of that map like "Alien Pawnage" or "Alien Ownage2" cause they are stolen (fake). On top of that it binds to your account, so people joining the game can see who published the map. So if they were playing a map from someone like me "DrSuperGood" and they suddenly see a very simlar named map by "TotalNoob" with the same minimap etc, they instantly know its stolen and need not play it.
So what do you do when you need to release a new version of your map, that has bug fixes/new features? Can you simply update the existing published map (would this reset its popularity?) or do you publish a new map called "Alien Ownage 2.0"? What happens if you actually want other people to build on top of the existing map? I'm not questioning your logic; I genuinely want to know the answers to these questions.

Level 11
The only real reason to protect your map is so that people can't hack save/load codes. Open source is good and nice. :eek:

Also, you can republish maps to update them and such. It even has its own version numbering system, and I don't think it resets popularity. As for building on your existing map, don't really know how that would work beyond user created mods, and that would work the same as WC3. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.