• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

whats the risk with allowing negative numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Theres an option in the editor that allow to put negative numbers but pop up a message about messing constants and stuff. Is that really dangerous?, cuz I need it to set negative flying height to make the units semi burried in ground.

Level 2
It can only crash the game. nothing big, All that'll happen is you will encounter a "Critical error" or "internal error" and WC3 will crash. It's nothing, really. I'm using negative values a lot and quite frankly I haven't encountered a crash yet. So I assume it's safe. If it weren't safe (as in the consequences could mean deletion of files or some shit like that) then I don't think blizzard would've put it in the editor.
Hope this is enlightening enough! ^_^

Level 28
If it weren't safe (as in the consequences could mean deletion of files or some shit like that) then I don't think blizzard would've put it in the editor.
You can't just put negative values wherever you want, that's why Blizz put some kind of protection on it.
But yeah, aside from causing massive lag, breaking some aspect of the game or causing a crash, nothing can happen as far as I know :D.

Usually it's pretty safe and isn't much different from a positive value, so as long as you've got a specific goal in mind and the editor lets you do that by using negative values, it's all right.

Level 5
I've never tried to crash the map with negative values, but I assume you could by putting negative movement speed or by referencing negative player numbers. No big deal if the map crashes, since you would probably know what's causing it. Negative flying height is perfectly fine... I think you can actually put that without ticking that box.

Level 2
Well of course if you intentionally make random shit negative values the map could crash - like why would you want to make a negative movement speed or scale value? I mean, If you're experimenting then I guess It's fine, but in practical it just doesn't make sense why one would want to do that :pP

Status
Not open for further replies.