• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What was blizzard thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
They started from scratch, had a great idea, and made something much more terrible that what is in WC3, worst finish of a good idea I've ever seen.

Populating the map list by most popular is fine, and is a feature I like to have, but making it the only sort-order possibility is just plain dumb. Making a sorting order of newest maps, or most recent updated, like the default sort-order on THW, would make the bad maps fade away, but giving the good maps a chance to move on to the popular list, not like now, when the same 10 most popular "maps" (which also was the first maps to be released in the full version) has dominated the list and downloads, since only very few people look father down the popular-list..

Blizzard know of this for sure, and I think they knew this system was very bad even under the beta-tesing, but simply didn't had the time to change it before release, I hope they include it in an update much soon. I will not release my RPG on the current map publishing system, since it will not recieve the attention it needs!

If I'm wrong, and they keep this system, I will personally go down and public spank every employee at Blizzard Entertainment untill they promise to fix it! So no matter what happens, I promise that things will get better, and this system fixed :)

EDIT: I'm very serious about this!

Level 5
Or just boost new maps with +50 popularity..

That would result in all maps having 50 popularity, rather than 0 popularity, and would do nothing whatsoever. However, They could add a popularity decay, where popularity goes up however it does now maybe, and it goes down by like 5% per day. And then if new maps get a bonus in popularity at start, they may show up higher in the list. I think this may be an interesting idea.

Just add a rating system for people that play the maps and there you got it.

Popularity by simply counting how often the map is being played is just stupid. Let the users rate maps instead would be much better. It works on community sites perfectly well, so why not adapt it to the battlenet system?

Simply add a chat command to the game like /rate x with x being a number between 1 and 10. The command could be used multiple times and overwrites the old rating in case the map gets better and people want to revise their rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.