• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What is the best way to to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi!

I going to create a combat system which is like: the "hero" have to select a target (probably with clicking on it) and then whenever he cast a spell the target unit of ability being cast will be automatically the "target".
So the question is: is the sole way to do this to create dummy spells, place them to the unit's abilities bar, and make kind of channel based abilities to each, which will be fired when the hero caststs the dummy one? In this case i have to make like 2x100 abilities which sounds horrifying! :ogre_rage: So please help if you know some other way!

Level 7
Hi!

I going to create a combat system which is like: the "hero" have to select a target (probably with clicking on it) and then whenever he cast a spell the target unit of ability being cast will be automatically the "target".
So the question is: is the sole way to do this to create dummy spells, place them to the unit's abilities bar, and make kind of channel based abilities to each, which will be fired when the hero caststs the dummy one? In this case i have to make like 2x100 abilities which sounds horrifying! :ogre_rage: So please help if you know some other way!

Can't really say yes or no, or anything it all depends on the spell your making at that time.

Level 29
if im understanding u correctly make a spell called target. make it based on channel. when it is cast set Target[PLayer index] = the target of spell target. then u have to make all the other spells and trigger them. cause them to damage target when cast. this will only be MPI so when target is cast by another unit of the player it changes the target of all other spells cast by that player.

Level 25
You will probably need to base all your spell off Channel ability.
One will be "Target" ability like deathismyfriend wrote, but the rest are actual "dummy abilities" that fire your direct spells. You can't for use target spells like fire bolt, or rain of fire, etc. because these spells require target (unit or ground, doesn't matter), which would defeat the purpose of your "Target" ability.

The only problem I see is that even though you will select target through Target ability and then after X seconds you cast your spell, it will look weird, because the unit won't face the target (i.e. the caster will shoot the projectile behind himself if the target happens to be behind caster).

You could abuse the neutral shop ability to place dummy buttons on enemy units' command card. Then, when the player selects the enemy with the ordinary wc3 unit selection, you can click on the dummy unit/item in the shop window to trigger your spells.
Cool thing about this is, that there's no useless command buttons like move/attack/etc. in the command card when doing so.
Other cool feature is that you can use gold/lumber/food as spell resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.