• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is hives stance on models and textures from inactive artists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
This is some questions I have regarding hives view on models and textures.

If the artist of a model for a map and the creator of the map have both been inactive for lets say 2-3+ years, can anyone else re upload those resources giving only credit to the creator, or are we strict with hives rules and respect those artists?

I have a huge mod folder and a lot of it is now "unobtainable" and I'm wondering if there is a problem using those models in future projects. One example is that there was a mod from wc3c who did a amazing remodel of a warden model, but he never posted it publicly, would there be a problem if I where to use that model in a map? I'm asking this because a while back hive moderators where really anal about things like this.

I do think that most "unobtainable" models and textures from very old projects should be made public since it would add some great resources to the wc3 modding community but that's my opinion.

Thanks.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It's a really interesting question; I am generally all about integrity to artists & stuff, but I'm also really saddened when I hear about stuff no one can use because the author has disappeared. Specifically, "right-to-edit"; how do we deal with it when a user has moved on?

Level 21
I'd say use them, but give credit where due. Stuff like "no editing" is just bullshit when taken to the extreme. As far as I've seen it's really just another way to say "Don't base your own models on mine" or "Don't just make a small change and claim it's your own model".
In any case, using models intended to be used in maps should always be fine if they were ever public anywhere. There is no way to retroactively tell people to stop using your models when they were up for being used in the first place.

Level 11
I'd say use them, but give credit where due. Stuff like "no editing" is just bullshit when taken to the extreme. As far as I've seen it's really just another way to say "Don't base your own models on mine" or "Don't just make a small change and claim it's your own model".
In any case, using models intended to be used in maps should always be fine if they were ever public anywhere. There is no way to retroactively tell people to stop using your models when they were up for being used in the first place.

Problem is that some resources was never public, else I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.