• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you want out of an AoS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
One where the mobs are more then just cannon fodder or spare cash for the players. Dota almost solely revolved around hero combat, I would like to see one that involved more emphesis on supporting the armies rather then a hero becoming a 1-man army.

Extra emphesis on terraining. Eye candy during gameplay is always great. Maybe an ability choosing system. That would solve the balancing issue since all players have a choice of what abilites to combine rather then getting stuck with them.
-VGsatomi

Level 7
Terrain is going to be a big thing. My friends are both working on it, one will do something then the other improves, and Whitehorn had offered to pop over it a little, so eye candy shouldn't be a problem.

What sort of ability choosing system did you have in mind? Because however much I would like to add one unless they are done extremly well(I know I can, just don't know if I am not too lazy to try) they end up looking lame. Plus they eat up a lot of extra and mostly useless hero abilities.

Creeps should be more than cannon fodder. Caster's will have minor auto-cast abilities and such, so keeping them alive will help you take out a lane and fight other problems that arise.

So far I also know there will be controllable "nodes" that can be captured to give a myriad of bonuses, from creep improvements to the ability to hire mercs or maybe waygates for easy transport.

Suggestions, comments concerns?

Level 6
i would like to have a change in the 'story' behind the teams.
the old 'good vs evil' thing got kinda boring - maybe make it an battle between old firends and the methods develope during the game -> e.g. the players will vote periodically for, or agains a new method.

e.g.
'slavery'
Bonus: x%faster creepwave/income
Malus: y% weaker basic units

or
'believe'
bonus: x armor for creeps
malus: -y longer delay before creeps start walking -> initate prayer before combat or units are weaker without a priest, something like that

so overall i just want the game to be different each time you start it.
And the how shall not only be determined by triggers, but by the players playing also.

just my 2cents
- Raszul

Level 7
Although most of my ideas were taken by you guys up there, What i think would make a good aos is researchable units for the spawns. Ie you could perchase lets say abominations (to replace or go alongside ghouls perhaps?) that have bonus armor and hp(dmg to). That would be cool. I know an aos called battle for icecrown; pretty good map though was last moded in 2003 still, it has alot of things that make it unique, and the secret shop actuially IS a secret shop where tyou have to do somethhing to find it. if you want the map i can email you

Level 7
Yes, I would appreciate that.

And improveable creeps are definately high on the list for things to add(thats one of the benefits of the nodes I mentioned before).

@Raszul, well I am trying to stick a bit of a story, so unfortunately the good vs evil thing will have to stay for the moment. But I will think on what you said, there may still be a cool way to implement something like that.

Level 4
hmm deffinetly try to reduce the lag.. and alot of choosable heros, try to make them Verry Well Balanced, or like Danites, his Random Skills, (i think) is pretty damn fun.

Christ-

A wide selection of heroes which has some unique but easy to use spells. Terrain needs to be very well done, I hate aos maps with crappy terrain!

Alot of new non-combat items would be cool also. I dont have any ideas but hey thats up to you :)

The recepies or whatever you would like to call the item combining should be very well thought out also, the basic "master sword + killer axe = 1337 masta kill weapon!!11" sucks, make it intresting for a change :p

And last but not least, alot of different gamemodes to choose from, the more the better :wink:

Level 7
I have two shots of some quick forest area I was working on, I dunno if its gonna stay, but this is what I envision some of the previously mentioned "nodes" looking like:

shot2.jpg

Shot1.jpg

Level 6
WOW this looks great!

but: if you want to use them for an AOS, i would suggest making them a bit easier to look over (so you can not as easyly be attacked from spots you can't see)

just my 2 cents - besides that this resembles quite good skills in teraining - i wish i could already test the map ^^

Level 7
well, looks great but I think detailled terrain is not important in aos games.
Maybe when you play the map the first time its rather nice to see little details from time to time but in the long term the design doesn't matter at all.
The only important things about terrain are the different ways and cliffs, I think
Maybe you better invest the time into gameplay and balance

Level 7
Well I am spending a bit of time on terrain, because how a map looks is the first thing they see, if it turns them off they will never get into the gameplay.

Now just something I am tossing out there, as a possibility. I reworked the generic damage trigger I made, so I can now detect with near 100% accuracy an attack. So the question is: Would STACKABLE orb effects be something that you would like? When I say stackable I mean that the first of one type adds say 10% lifesteal. Each additional orb of lifesteal adds maybe 2% lifesteal to the original 10%. Also different orbs of different types would stack, perfectly, with NO buggs whatever.

This opens the door for some really interesting orb types. If you like this idea or have ideas toss out whatever you got.

Level 7
that would be really intersting but you have to care about balance. Just think of frost, slow and poison orb.
Would be imba slowed
Maybe you should still allow just one orb-efect weapon but create items which use multiple.
As an example a vampiric blade which steals life and lowers enemie's armor or something like that
Or a randomly chosen slow efect... i dont know but be aware of balance ;)

I will observe your project interested :)

Status
Not open for further replies.