• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you value in a terrain?

What makes a terrain "good"?

• Following the standard -- no blizzard cliffs, good doodad/tile variation and a nice color of fog to

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Originality and imagination, even if the terrain itself isn't too great, I will rate it a 4 or 5 bec

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • I like simple, professional and skilled terrains. I like it when the terrainer has really thought o

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I like fog and lighting, in my opinion, it's what makes a terrain truly awesome.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • I like seeing a bunch of custom doodads, you can never have too many imports.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I love cool buildings made out of arches and stuff. This stuff is really just cool.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I like newbies' terrains, they make me feel like I am actually good xD

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this, because I personally know I have a different way of making/looking at terrains than most people. I value simplicity, realistic-ness (is that a word?) and tiny little details that are hard to notice but when you do, it makes the terrain 10 times better.

Level 34
I voted for one, two and four. Lighting and the basics are most important to me. Too bad I stink at lighting.

Level 36
Correction: A short range pic in a sunny day, that doesn't needs fog. But a long ranged pic in a sunny day, yeah, it needs.

No. If you were to climb to the top of a mountain on a perfectly sunny day, you could see forever, and there would be no fog. Maybe only in the very distance, like at range 12,000, would there be fog. So I guess there would be fog :gg:

Level 21
Voted for 2 and 4.

I considered voting for 1 as well, but I disagree with the "cliffs" standard. If you know what you're doing, blizzard cliffs CAN look good. Perhaps even better than how it would look with hills. I do find tile variation to be very important though. Fog as well, but I think that's in option 2 already, so...

Level 34
I don't understand where these god looking blizzard cliffs terrains are! Prove that they can look better with Blizzard cliffs.

Level 36
I don't understand where these god looking blizzard cliffs terrains are! Prove that they can look better with Blizzard cliffs.

Take a look at \Naze's Snowy Terrain and Koopa124's Underwater Terrain.
The Blizzard Cliffs look good in the snowy one and it wouldn't look nearly as good with the raise tool (stretched textures FTL) and although the underwater one isn't particularly good, the use of cliffs makes it look better.

Level 34
Take a look at \Naze's Snowy Terrain and Koopa124's Underwater Terrain.
The Blizzard Cliffs look good in the snowy one and it wouldn't look nearly as good with the raise tool (stretched textures FTL) and although the underwater one isn't particularly good, the use of cliffs makes it look better.
I forgot that cites can looks fine with cliffs. The underwater is not very good at all.

Blizzard cliffs should only be used in playable terrain, and sometimes for cities.

Level 8
I don't know how many time I've told you, look at some of RDZ's maps. They look awesome and could damn well match stuff posted around here. They're playable though.

As I said, you don't need any fog for something that you can't see at least a part of the horizon. I think I didn't expressed myself well, so here is an ilustrated example:

http://luciana.misura.org/fotos/casa_nova01b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.