• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What do you think about Private Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Here's what Blizzard think about it:

World Of Warcraft® End User Lisence Agreement
B. You agree that you shall not, under any circumstances,

(iv) facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service. All connections to the Game and/or the Service, whether created by the Game Client or by other tools and utilities, may only be made through methods and means expressly approved by Blizzard. Under no circumstances may you connect, or create tools that allow you or others to connect, to the Game's proprietary interface other than those expressly provided by Blizzard for public use.

Level 21
i like private servers to check out all that gear your never really gunna get (spectral tiger anyone?) and to explore places you usually cant. also doing all the secrets like the ashbringer secret which is pretty much impossible on a real realm. for actually leveling up and questing they are a waste of time imo.

Level 34
I am against private servers. I think you shouldn't because it's illegal, but most because I think it's lame. If it were legal I still wouldn't use one unless someone had a good server that updated ASAP with Blizzard patches, and had no cheats or buffed XP, drops, or anything.

Level 34
Just a suggestion... don't play WoW. I mean its simply boring in the end, you'll realize it was a waste of time (private server or otherwise).

That was very opinionated. You can't say it will be boring in the end. Most people love end game if that's what you are referring to. Also, sure people over play WoW, but that doesn't mean everyone does. I doubt very many people actually over play it, besides most that do over play, would be over playing something else. I dislike when people say that WoW players are killing their life or wasting their time. You are on a video game forum... you are wasting your time as well. This is a hobby, hobbies generally are not profitable in any way except for health (sports), or enjoyment, which we need. They waste time.

Level 13
Once you take out the prospect of lvling, the game becomes pointless IMO, ppl wouldnt bother playing it if leveling was taken out (ala fun servers).

Im for it. Private servers are awesome, nuff said.

Level 36
Yes, they would, Massive. Levelling is a chore. It's only real purpose is getting you familiar with the character you play so that you don't suck ass by the time you hit the cap.

Really, Blizzard spends the most time and effort creating the end game content. Why? Because it's the most important, and usually it's the funnest, since so much time and resources are being spent on this section of the game over the others.

Think about it, if the end game content is non-existant or sucks balls, then everyone will just quit when they reach the cap. Blizzard has to make the content fun and engaging so that people will have things to do in order to keep them playing the game. Said things are also generally more enjoyable than questing and grinding (most especially instance runs, raiding, arenas, battlegrounds, etc)

As for Private Servers, I go both ways I guess.

On one hand, it's cool to have private servers for several reasons:
1) You can screw around and have fun, and you can enjoy custom content created specifically for the server or otherwise.
2) If you don't have enough time to level in the live servers, you can join a funserver where you can enjoy normal balanced level 70 endgame without the hassle of levelling.

But, there are negatives as well:
1) Blizzard is not being paid. People who download a stolen copy of WoW and play on a private server sicken me. It's one thing to deny Blizzard the $15 a month that they so hungrily desire, but at least pay for the damned game.
2) The lag can be astronomical as a low populated server running on bad hardware can screw things up for the game a lot.

Level 27
People who download a stolen copy of WoW and play on a private server sicken me. It's one thing to deny Blizzard the $15 a month that they so hungrily desire, but at least pay for the damned game.
I don't think those people care that you're sickened. Blizzard (and a lot of other people) are trying to enforce something that cannot be enforced. What they should do, is ask for the money in advance, so that they get enough profit, then release the game and not worry about unstoppable pirates.

Level 36
But you're also paying for the software itself damnit. Like I said, they don't just hand it out free on the street, and it's DEFINETLY illegal to get a pirated copy of said software, so I can't see how this works.

You pay $60 dollars to buy the game, and then another $15 per month for the account itself.

Yum

Yum

Level 3
You buy it at a store for the authentication key that initially activates your account. You can download the client for free online.

Also WoW has always been $50 for the initial product and TBC when it first came out, Mr. Exagerate.

Level 11
You're not even paying for the account. Lol, you can get a free trial account.

WoW games will NEVER go under 20$, because of accessories and free monthly subscription.

Also, i really doubt there will be a Battle Chest, just seems like something that I wouldn't be interested in =/

Wat? A trial account?
thats for 10 - 14 days
A real account is something that you can play on, after 10 days
you just have to pay the subscription fees
A trial account has its limits like not being able to grow over lvl 25 and not being able to go to some areas

Level 14
I'm with private servers....if i will evever get super rich.. i would like bribe some1 from inside blizz company and get wow engine and than make a free private server with their engine. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.