• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What can cause the lighting to crap out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, when I view a certain area in my game, the lighting in the game craps out (as in all omnilights vanishing, both from custom models and blizzard models).
Also, the lighting on units suddenly changes as if the light engine crashed, causing weird shadow artifacts on unit portraits.

Anyone has dealt with this issue before and knows what causes this? Is it possible for a corrupted model to cause the engine to fail?

I attached two images. In the first picture, the light engine is still working correctly (you see an omnilight around the character and the portrait still looks normal).
In the second picture (as soon as I move the camera closer to the vulcano), the light engine suddenly crashes and causes all omnilights to drop out, as well as create weird shader-artifacts on the unit portrait.

EDIT: I just noticed the editor suffers from this aswell. As soon as I view the vulcano area, I can no longer see any omnilights in the editor.

I attached two more screenshots; in both editor screens, I have a red omnilight placed in the area I marked with the red circle. In the first screen it still works, in the second the engine bugged.

Attachments

• LightEngineCrash01.jpg
    LightEngineCrash01.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 88
  • LightEngineCrash02.jpg
    LightEngineCrash02.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 95
  • LightEngineCrash03.jpg
    LightEngineCrash03.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 138
  • LightEngineCrash04.jpg
    LightEngineCrash04.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 86
Level 10
After reading about kleinerhauck and some other members experiencing what sounded like possibly the same bug in this thread, the solution seems to be to give all lights the same intensity and ambient intensity
kleinerhauck said:
You can change the Intensity by attaching the light to a Bone and using the Scaling Value of the Object Editor.

Last edited:
After reading about kleinerhauck and some other members experiencing what sounded like possibly the same bug in this thread, the solution seems to be to give all lights the same intensity and ambient intensity
Thanks mate for sharing that link. Seems like this is exactly the same problem I'm facing. I narrowed it down to two models that bug my game, one of them actually has an omnilight component. I'll remove it and see if that helps.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.