• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What can cause a crash?(memory leak question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I tested and played my map recently quite often and noticed that rarely and infrequently it may cause "run out of memory" crash for all people in game. Problem is that in crash logs nothing repeats itself that would cause it. I checked my map for leaks and for that matter i also have a question: do memory leaks cause sudden crashes like that?

About the leaks, there are 2 one about extremely rarely used spell(password unlocked hero having it), other one frequently used (repick with random point in region spawn). The thing is can these cause crash or it's some random crash that happends due to hosting service -> makemehost issue or something else?

EDIT: to be more specific, repick spawns cricle where you can choose high speed flying starter unit + map size is giant(over over 250x250 with newgeneditor)

Level 14
Leaks usually cannot cause that error as the game runs out of other finite structures long before it runs out of virtual memory address space.

That error is usually the result of some sort of allocation loop within the game engine.

I have no triggers that would cause any of mentioned in the thread.
Here is memory dump from crash log, btw as i said these crashes seem to be infrequent.

Attachments

• memory dump1.jpg
    memory dump1.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 103
  • memory dump2.jpg
    memory dump2.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 91

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

One thing to check: are dummy units ever leaving the map boundaries? That causes the crash, and it's probably the most common reason.

Level 14
One thing to check: are dummy units ever leaving the map boundaries? That causes the crash, and it's probably the most common reason.
I didnt use any dummy units on my map. It's modified melee, there are some captureable buildings but they use set life triggers and cause 0 issues. I want to know what else could cause that "run out of memory" error on my map and if it's something that i can fix. Map has quite a bit of imported models tough it's not very heavy, and was optimized.

Level 6
Leaks usually cannot cause that error as the game runs out of other finite structures long before it runs out of virtual memory address space.

That error is usually the result of some sort of allocation loop within the game engine.

What is the allocation loop? How can I solve allocation loop problem?

Level 22
I'm guessing that means infinite loops; to fix them, make them finite loops, mostly done by checking for the endloop condition, which is a common problem with loop codes. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.