• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What are these Grunts and Doctors under user names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
The images represent Hive Workshop staff positions:

Rank_Chieftain.gif
Chieftain

Rank_Shaman.gif
Administrtator

Rank_Raider.gif
Forum Moderator

Rank_Grunt.gif
Resource Moderator

Rank_Doctor.gif
PayPal Donor

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Chieftain = Ralle
Shaman = Admin
Rider = Global/Super Moderator
Raider = Moderator
Grunt = Resource Moderator
Doctor = Paypal Donor
Hunter = Hosted Project
Shade = Banned User

Hosted Project members get the Headhunter rank.

And only one rank per user. Some users have multiple ranks atm - that wont last for long (we just still need to sort a few things out)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Here is the suggestion I referred to:

One option would be putting those banners under the reputation, which corresponds to the user's favourite race/faction.

For example for Undead:
Undead
0-25 posts / 0-5 reputation: Acolyte
25-50 posts / 5-10 reputation: Ghoul
50-100 posts / 10-20 reputation: Crypt Fiend
100-200 posts / 20-40 reputation: Necromancer
200-500 posts / 40-65 reputation: Gargoyle
500-1000 posts / 65-100 reputation: Banshee
1000-2000 posts / 100-150 reputation: Abomination
2000-4500 posts / 150-250 reputation: Destroyer
4500-7500 posts / 250-500 reputation: Crypt Lord
7500-12500 posts / 500-1000 reputation: Lich
12500-20000 posts / 1000-2000 reputation: Death Knight
I would say reputation, since users would just post spam to get the icons.

Additionally, I couldn't find the post, but we should have the little icon of the forum we moderate (instead of the Raider icon) and then the name of it, World Editor Help Zone with the Call of Arms icon on the left, instead of the Wolf Rider with the Raider text.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I shall take your suggestion into consideration. Although, I dont really like the thought of using so damn many ranks.

Making it like that, however, would mean that I would have to make a hell lot of ranks -_-
And we would have to make users select their favourite race out of only 4 races available in their profile.. Unless I make ranks for naga, fel orcs, blood elf etc. etc. and so forth -_-" *Sigh*
I can see already that the names of some of the units will cause trouble as the ranks have to be 100 pixel in length.

Then each time a user switches favorite race, he's rank would change into the new one. Correct?

Dont get too excited.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I could tweak it, yeah. There's really no need to make the 4 factions only, the only problem I've detected so far is with Tauren who have only 3 units (Tauren, Spirit Walker and Tauren Chieftain). In Humans we can easily replace the casters, and so on.

But I've come up with a better idea. Why not fit those ranks for the board skin instead? Right now we would need only worry about the Night Elf wc3s + the normal Workshop, since those are the only 2 board skins being supported at moment.

Night Elves
<0 reputation: No icon
0-25 reputation: Archer
25-100 reputation: Huntress
100-250 reputation: Hippogryph Rider
250-500 reputation: Dryad
500-1000 reputation: Chimaera
Tweaked a bit, I think that's ok. The only name issuing would be the Hippogryph Rider, but we could place the Dryad after the Huntress, then the Chimaera, and finally Priestess of the Moon, tweaking it down to just Priestess.

Level 32
You guys might want to slow down a bit:

I shall take your suggestion into consideration. Although, I dont really like the thought of using so damn many ranks.

Making it like that, however, would mean that I would have to make a hell lot of ranks -_-
And we would have to make users select their favourite race out of only 4 races available in their profile.. Unless I make ranks for naga, fel orcs, blood elf etc. etc. and so forth -_-" *Sigh*
I can see already that the names of some of the units will cause trouble as the ranks have to be 100 pixel in length.

Then each time a user switches favorite race, he's rank would change into the new one. Correct?

Dont get too excited.

I do not forsee [highlight]ANY changes whatsoever[/code] being made to the post count indicators:
ooooh man that sounds sweet, i better get to spamming then!
Joke or not, spamming to increase post counts is to be strongly discouraged.

Level 21
Could you make it so that when you hover your mouse over the icon, you see the previous title? (as in: hover over doctor and see "Paypal donor"). Right now I never remember what raider or grunt stands for...

i think the most posts i have ever seen on a forum as 15k, but i dont go on many forums so thats not really surprising.
my bro reached 25 000 posts yesterday somewhere...

Level 36
You get a paper hat and a congratulations for having absolutely nothing to spend your time on!

I want a paper hat!

Anf it's actually really sad, because all my friends are even amazed that I have like 2900 posts on here, and i'm all like it's not that hard. It takes me like 30 seconds to type a post, I check my email everyday, however many replies= the number of posts I make there, plus however many posts I make after checking the new posts list. I might ovassionally make a new thread, but other then that it takes me 15 minutes or less to get all my posts for a day in.

But that paper hat will be mine, I just wanna see how far I get :D

PS Eleandor that actually sounds like a really good idea. See what the admins have to say about it ;)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Wolverabid said:
I do not forsee ANY changes whatsoever being made to the post count indicators:
IF I was to use his suggestion I would have used reputation, not post count.
Eleandor said:
Could you make it so that when you hover your mouse over the icon, you see the previous title? (as in: hover over doctor and see "Paypal donor"). Right now I never remember what raider or grunt stands for...
The other admins and I have already talked about this, and yes we're going to make it that way.

Level 13

The other admins and I have already talked about this, and yes we're going to make it that way.

I was assuming it would be based off reputation and not post count. Otherwise people will just start spamming to gain ranks. Also, wouldn't it just be easier to make the image that says "Raider" or "Grunt" into a animated .gif image that cycles through the users ranks if they have more than one? (For example, it would show raider, then fade to grunt, then fade to troll then repeat)
Personally I believe the person should just take on the highest rank they have. For example, Chieftan > Shamen > Raider > Grunt > Hosted Project. If you have "Grunt" and "Hosted Project" only Grunt should show.

Level 36
Archian said:

Well i'm glad you didn't use EITHER because I see a train wreck waiting to happen. Neither the reputation system or a post count can be used to determine the standing of a user.

The reputation system is not fair (as we all know) because a user can post a gallery of anything, get a truckload of rep dumped on them, and then have mega standing for doing crap all. The rest of us (the other users who are not artists of some kind), or the users that don't give help or requests a lot (even then rep is rarely given) get left out in the rain.

Post count is.... no. You have people like the_wand_mirror with over a thousand posts, and people such as yourself that aren't even there yet. Who do you think is more valuable to the community?

A user cannot be given standing based around either of these systems, so in order to make any kind of decision based around standing, it has to come from professional opinion. Does the user follow all of the rules, are they considerate, do they post intelligently, do they contribute to the community? You have to determine how the person really is for yourself, not from things like reputation or post count.

In an ideal world, the reputation system would work the way it's supposed to, and perhaps then decisions could be made based around it, but the fact is that it's not used properly, and it gives certain people an unfair advantage.

Level 13
I tried to create a sample of what I was talking about for the image with users who have more than one title. It should look something like this.
raiderdonervx0.gif

Cant figure out why it looks so grainy though - Probably has something to do with optimizing the image. *shrugs*
As for people wanting ALL users to have a title (JASS Programmer, Skinner, Modeler etc.) I could make some userbars or some sort of avatar for those people interested.

Level 8
I think userbars would be a better solution to the smaller roles "skinning, modeling, mapmaking, animating, art and so on) If that does go through I volunteer to help you out Herio

Status
Not open for further replies.