• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WESTRING issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Today, I opened World Editor and found this weird error. Something westring, literally everything is named westring and then something. I'm in a desperate need of a fix for this, because it's so messed up to the eye, and very disorienting. Here's a picture so you know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-30 194844.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-30 194844.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 52
What Warcraft III version are you using (and maybe where did you get it)?

WESTRING stands for World Edit String. These are intended to change based on your game's Language setting. So it could find English or Spanish or Russian or Chinese or whatever, depending on your game version.

If you are using a bootleg version, perhaps it is missing the language files named "War3xLocal.mpq" in the game installation directory. Also if you are on Patch 1.29 or above, then the file is in a different location with a different name so do not panic if the file is not there in that case.

One way to cause this could be if you have "War3xLocal.mpq" on your computer, but then you opened it with MPQEditor and left it open so the World Editor was blocked by MPQEditor and did not have permission to read its own files.

Edit: Even if "War3xLocal.mpq" was locked for reading and didn't load, "War3Patch.mpq" usually has a mirror of this information (typically a slightly different version). So it's really weird for this data to be missing. Perhaps you are installing Frozen Throne from the CD with an old patch 1.14 or something that does not have "War3Patch.mpq"? That seems very jank. You are certainly missing some important data files.

Level 4
Thanks on the reply. Although I was able to resolve my issue by installing a different archive, I'm using the latest classic patch 1.31. I was using the previous archive and it used to work flawlessly. But I accidentally uninstalled it and I reinstalled it through the archive I used to install it through and it unexpectedly showed this error. But just comparing these 2 archives, it's safe to say that the previous archive might have actually missed some very crucial data in order for WE to read it. But if that was the case, I don't get it why it could read it if it was missing when I first got that archive.

I don't get it why
Yeah, Patch 1.31 was made with all the Reforged storage format and features to help get people excited for Reforged and used to the new features. Since it is stored in the modern CASC storage system that is meant to be always checked against the online version, the only languages that work would probably be the ones loaded from the Blizzard server by whoever played that install before you when it was live, who then gave it to you or something. 1.31 was definitely meant as a temporary thing and even noted that it was the prepatch of Reforged in the 1.31 patch notes. So I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was wonky like that since running Patch 1.31 in the year 2022 means running the incomplete Reforged tech after its intended lifecycle is over. If you get a copy of the Reign of Chaos + Frozen Throne back from before the activision merger, you would surely not have this problem.

But I guess you would probably not have the Reforged features you want either, like the 16:9 resolution and new modding APIs and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.