• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Website Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
This thread is made primarily to talk about what should be on the site, how we can improve it, and even commentary about the website is allowed. Feed back and critisim on War3WoW's site is also a goal for this thread.

I'll also post updating news on the website here as well, along with information about the old forum.

Every now and then I update the "The Team" page and the "About" page on the War3WoW site. And I recently updated both of those pages. I'm thinking of changing the template or have someone customize it since I'm way too busy to do it myself. If anyone here is good at customizing the template. Need an example? Check out DotA's website. Something like that would be awesome.

Level 25
Apparently, in the gallery page, I've uploaded the maximum amount of images that can be shown in the gallery. However there is a way I can add more pictures. I'd need to replace the gallery page with a normal page. Nothing major really, but it wouldn't look as... professional as it does now. Who says I do that instead?

Level 3
Hello again. It's nice to see it goes well for ya. You update your site a little more than usual, and thats good.

Again good luck! :wink:

Level 25
Recently, I updated the website a little bit by adding more custom backgrounds for each page and added a Warcraft letter for each first letter of a word of each paragraph to make the website look more pizazed, cooler, and more professional. :)
I may add some more information in the About page around the week as well.

Level 25
The website has been updated once again. It now has a Game Guide which contains information that should help guide players on how to play Wc3:WoW. So far, I am adding all of the basic information a player needs to know before I add information that goes deeper into the campaign such as instances and PvP(Player VS Player-Bot)

I have also added more information to the About page. I posted a new news rticle in the News page and I've also organized that page a bit more; now it shows only 5 articles per page. Feel free to leave comments in news articles about the news article.

The Links page now has more links in it to well known Warcraft III modding community sites including Hive Workshop, WC3Campaigns.net, The Hubb, etc.
There are also more official websites posted as well, including Thottbot.com and Allakhazam.com and more!

Level 15
Remove the music.
Remove the rediculusly large filesize images (backgrounds).
Make the actual content area bigger.
Style the hyperlinks to a colour not so similar to the background.
Clean the choppy scroll texture behind the main text area. Most your images have ugly white blotchy outlines.
Normalise your screenshot thumbnail sizes.
Your copyright is invisible on the gallery due to a dark background.
The background tiling is ugly on taller pages.
I'd reword A Warcraft III-The Frozen Throne, modification to A modification for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - reads better.
Try to make make pages more consistant. You have red titles on one page, black on the rest. The image used for the starting letter on paragraphs isn't repeted on all pages.
The Links text doesn't line up with the L image.
Your menu text offsets differently on each page.
The team page text is hard to read.

Level 25
Thank you for your assistance.

Make the actual content area bigger.
I'm guessing you mean the "Downloads" page, I'll get to fixing that page up shortly.

Style the hyperlinks to a colour not so similar to the background.
Thanks for reporting this to me, I didn't even notice. This will be fixed ASAP.

Clean the choppy scroll texture behind the main text area. Most your images have ugly white blotchy outlines.
That is just the template. However, I will consider finding a very well experienced HTML programmer to fix the problem.

Normalise your screenshot thumbnail sizes.
Very good suggestion. I will get to fixing this ASAP.

Your copyright is invisible on the gallery due to a dark background.
I'll try to change the color of the font. If that doesn't work, I may replace the background image.

The background tiling is ugly on taller pages.
I will work on fixing the background soon.

I'd reword A Warcraft III-The Frozen Throne, modification to A modification for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - reads better.
Thank you for your correction. It has been editted.

Try to make make pages more consistant. You have red titles on one page, black on the rest. The image used for the starting letter on paragraphs isn't repeted on all pages.
Image of letters are being searced for at the www.worldofwarcraft.com site. In the meantime, I have made the questions in bold red on both pages.

The Links text doesn't line up with the L image.
Fixed.

Your menu text offsets differently on each page.
This does not occur with me. Perhaps it is your browser, what browser do you use?

The team page text is hard to read.
I changed the font color and made the text in bold. It is much easier to read now. Also, please note that the names in red are people who have left the team.

Thank you very much for pointing these things out to us! I will try my best to fix as much as I can.
Also, should I remove the poll at the bottom of the [urlhttp://www.freewebs.com/war3wow/about.htm]About[/url] page?

Level 25
To those who wish to help, but aren't really skilled with the World Editor, Modelling, or Skinning, you can still help us(The Wc3:WoW Team[/b]) with promoting our Wc3:WoW website. Doing so is quite simple. It will just take many people who visit the site to do this and help us greatly. But every vote counts!

Go to our website at: http://www.freewebs.com/war3wow/index.htm and once you get there, there should be a dark gray bar at the very top of the webpage with several icons. One of the icons is an icon of a white hand doing a "thumbs-up". Click the thumbs-up and then a small window will pop out asking you to vote. Click it to vote and that's all you need to do! Your votes will help promote the website and if we get to the very top of the website list, we'll be noticed alot more!
You doing this will help very, very much.

Level 25
I made the logo in MS Paint lol. Just some CnP work with a black background. Cut off parts of Warcraft III's logo and WoW's logo to make it say WAR 3 WOW

And since everyone thinks it needs more, this gives me an idea:
Wc3:WoW Logo Mini-Contest!
I'll start the contest later on tonight I hope.

Level 25
t.gif
hanks to a very dedicated fan Wc3:WoW, Kodam,you can now visit this website by typing: www.wc3wow.com in your Address Bar. It just redirects you instantly to the website as if you typed in: http://www.freewebs.com/war3wow/index.htm
So basicly, we've simplified the way to enter the website a bit. Unless if you've added the site to favorites already, this will be very helpful and easy. Kodam has been given credit in The Team page for Web Domain Hosting.

~Wc3:WoW Team

Level 25
Slow Day

b.gif
y now you all should know that the website has been very slow lately and some things are not working properly like they should. Recently, the pages have been taking forever to load or don't even load at all. You may also notice that the ShoutBox is either gone or empty. Today I emptied the ShoutBox to see if it'd help relieve the website's slow pace. It helped a bit, but not enough.

t.gif
he reason why the website has been so slow and disfunctional lately is because we've had a little over five thousand hits on this website and that has increased our bandwidth by quite a bit. Will this site continue to be slow? Yes, but according to the website provider, it should be fixed on September 26th, 2007. In the meantime, I'll be trying to clean up the website a bit and remove what ever data that isn't needed anymore from the website data-base.

w-red.gif
e apologize for any inconveniance this may have caused. We're doing the best we can to resolve the problem as much as possible. Hopefully by clearing up some of the WebSpace, it will spare us some Bandwidth. The most we can do, percent-wise, is resolve about eight percent of the Bandwidth which should be enough to notice the difference. By September 27th, 2007, we will have more details of what is going on and if this problem continues afterwards, we will either have to recreate the website or find some sort of way to fix the problem.

o.gif
ne way that we can fix this is if we purchase the website and subscribe to it. Doing this will resolve the Bandwidth and WebSpace problems by a lot; however we will not subscribe because of financial problems. And since we don't have a PayPal account, we can't even take donations! Hopefully we can get a PayPal account up soon and once we receive enough funds for atleast three months, we'll subscribe for the site perhaps or save it for dedicated servers for when Wc3:WoW becomes a true MMORPG for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

Again, I and the rest of the team apologize dearly for this inconveniance;
~Craka_J & the Wc3:WoW Team.

Level 25
f.gif
inally the moment you've all been waiting for has come! The Wc3:WoW Logo Contest has now ended and the victors have been revealed in the official thread which the contest was held. You can check it out here.

b.gif
ut in short to save you all the time of having to look to see who had won a place in the contest, the top four winners were:

1)Saitek009
2)DragoonZombie
3)iron_warrior
4)StyxaneZ

t.gif
he main reason why I had added a Fourth Place is because Saitek009 is a member of the actual Wc3:WoW Team and does not really require himself to become an official closed beta tester. There for I thought it'd be unfair if I didn't add a Fourth Place. So I added a Fourth Place to give another contestant a chance to test the beta.

e.gif
ach winner won at least three things. And since I only had rewards for only three places, we had to bend the rules a bit and change up who was rewarded what in a way. First Place winner wins all of the intended First Place Winning rewards; Second Place winner wins pretty much the same as the First Place winner, but their logo will not be used; Third Place winner wins a bit less than Second Place winners; and Fourth Place winners get the least amount of rewards (Three simple rewards). If you're curious as to what the rewards are, then you can check out the first post in the official thread of this contest here.

c.gif
onradulations goes to those who had won a place in the contest, especially the First and Second Place winners! We'd also like to thank the rest of you who joined the contest and tried your best to win. Your efforts are appreciated and respected by the Wc3:WoW Team! We hope to see some of our old contestants and hopefully many new ones in our next contest!
~Wc3:WoW Team

Level 25
i.gif
fixed up the website a little bit this evening. No major changes though really. All links, including the ones in the navigational bar, have had their font color changed to a noticable light blue, rather than the old brown font color which blended too much with the template in my opinion.

a.gif
nother thing I fixed up on the website was add a small website logo next to each website link in the Links page. The only websites that do not have a logo next to their URL is "http://www.thottbot.com" and the fan-sites of Wc3:WoW.

v.gif
isitors to the website have e-mailed me about some spelling errors, grammar errors, and the lack of help provided at the Game Guide page. I've fixed the pointed out errors and fixed some others that have not been reported as well. I've also added more helpful information, mainly regarding some of the new stuff that will be featured in the next Open Beta. More helpful information will be provided later on as things develop.
~Craka_J; Leader of the Wc3:WoW Team.

Level 25
Forum is working well again.

In other news, esb has agreed to recreate http://www.freewebs.com/war3wow/'s template to make it look a lot more WoWish and professional. We have not stopped working on the totally new website, but its progress is very slow, so this is actually an even better opprotunity at the moment during this kind of situation for us. Best of luck to esb and to his efforts!
~Craka_J

Level 8
Where is the web-site host on http://war3wow.webs.com/

Edit
This post was editted by Craka_J
Fixed the link. Also fixed the link in this post to work (You forgot to add the .com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 25
A lot of you have been waiting for a website update for a while and some are disappointed. We apologize for the long delay on the new website, but our Web Programmer works mainly on the weekends. Hopefully this weekend he'll get a lot more done. Kodam has been contacted by HaZE (Our Web Programmer) to change the redirect url of www.wc3wow.com to lead visitors to the new website. When will the new website be done? I've predicted all other times incorrectly, however, I do believe that the website will be done within three to four more weeks. Sorry for taking so much time on working on the website, but it is a lot harder than you think and there are many obstacles in real life which we must pass first as well, such as school exams and jobs.

For those of you who have been patient this whole time, we are extremely appreciative and once again, apologize for the excessive amount of time we've been spending on building the website. We hope it is worth the wait!

~Craka_J

Level 25
Our current website's Home page has been replaced with the News page. The old Home page was moved down on the site navigation bar and its name was changed to "Quick Contact". The Quick Contact page has the old ShoutBox in it and a Ratings & Comments add-on for fans and reviewers to leave their rating of the mod of their opinion. Though, we prefer people will wait for the mod to actually be released before they rate it.

Also, I'd also like to let you know that it is appreciated when fans leave their input and comments on recent News articles.

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.