• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 3D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I was wondering, is wc3 a 3D game, or just not entirely 3D? I have come up with pros and cons:

Why I think it's 3D:
  • flying heights
  • ground units | flying units
  • visual appearance
  • GetLocationZ function (terraing height)
  • ranged units: chance to miss because of terrain height difference
  • cliffs

Why I don't think it's 3D:
  • 2D collisions
  • no jumping
  • just GetLocationZ, no GetPointZ (meaning Blizzard hasn't paid much attention to completely 3Ding the game)
  • all spells are 2D
  • no effect height (with AddSpecialEffectZ it's possible, but otherwise no)
  • no missile collisions (meaning a missile can't hit a unit that is in the way of the target)
  • no possible way of finding out how tall a unit is
  • can't hit a unit in the specific part of a body (head, arm...)

My current conclusion: Wc3 is a 2.5D game.

I can't think of any more pros/cons, so if you people have ideas, I will be happy to add them. I just want to know what you people think about it.

Last edited:
Pros is like "positive things", Cons is like "negative things". Not the way you have it. Get rid of the whole pros/cons thing.

GetLocationZ = GetPointZ. Location = Point. Geddit? In GUI it's called Point, but in Jass it's called Location.

How tall a unit is? That depends on the model size. I agree, there should be a GetX/Y/ZScale function, but there isn't one. So that doesn't count.

Spells are THREE DEE. Ever zoomed in? They're 3d.

Can't hit a unit in the specific part of a body? Again, that depends on the model. You CAN attach stuff to a unit's head/arm/penis, as long as it has the appropriate attachment points.

No missle collisions because Blizzard is lazy. And archers shoot over units' heads, anyway.

No jumping because again, Blizzard is lazy and their campaign sucks. All it is is just constant killing endless creeps/enemies. Nothing really that interesting.

2d collisions? Again, Blizzard was lazy. Besides, they had no use for them, so why add them if they weren't necessary?

Keep in mind wc3 is an old game. You can't expect it to be perfect. If it helps, think of it like this. Wc3 is a 3D game, with 2D gameplay.

Level 13
Pyritie said:
Pros is like "positive things", Cons is like "negative things". Not the way you have it. Get rid of the whole pros/cons thing.

English is not my native language, so you have to be tolerant (fixed that).

Pyritie said:
GetLocationZ = GetPointZ. Location = Point. Geddit? In GUI it's called Point, but in Jass it's called Location.

This part was for JASSers, don't rush. I meant GetPointZ that takes two coordinates as parameters, not like GetLocationZ which takes a location.

Pyritie said:
How tall a unit is? That depends on the model size. I agree, there should be a GetX/Y/ZScale function, but there isn't one. So that doesn't count.

That's right, there isn't one, and there should be. So why doesn't that count? What do you mean by that anyways?

Pyritie said:
Spells are THREE DEE. Ever zoomed in? They're 3d.

Spells which are set to affect flying units will affect them even if they are five kilometers above the spell, that's unrealistic. That's what I meant with that. Blizzard made the 'affect flying units' option so it looks 3D.

Pyritie said:
Can't hit a unit in the specific part of a body? Again, that depends on the model. You CAN attach stuff to a unit's head/arm/penis, as long as it has the appropriate attachment points.

I meant to detect where the unit's been hit, and those attachment points can only be made in a model editor, which is not part of WE.

Pyritie said:
...because Blizzard is lazy...

Pyritie said:
...again, Blizzard is lazy...

Pyritie said:
...Again, Blizzard was lazy...

Ok, ok, I get the point, Blizzard is lazy.

Is that the best you got?? You disappointed me......

Pyritie said:
If it helps, think of it like this. Wc3 is a 3D game, with 2D gameplay.

Actually, it does help. That was what I wanted to hear, but:

Code:
3D game
2D gameplay

3D + 2D = 5D
5D : 2D = [color="Lime"][B]2.5D[/B][/color]

It's amazing what simple math can do.

Fulla said:
Im sure starcraft 2 will be alot more towards what your wanting.

When SC2 gets out...................goodbye Wc3!

Level 13
I said it may be 3D because of its visual appearance. I'm just saying it's not 3D enough so people have to make systems to make it completely 3D. I didn't say that it isn't 3D at all.

I didn't post it in off-topic because it's not off-topic (figures).

Thanks to Jacek for his support (though most of the people think I'm an idiot, which I probably am)

~Thread closed (god I wish I can do that)

Level 7
Well an example: Sega->Sonic. The Game is confirmed to be 2.5D. The models in the game are appearing 3D but use a 2D movement style. The same style is in wc3 only that you now have 360° of the forward moving and some definition to "height".

Status
Not open for further replies.