• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3D Modeling Characters for 3D Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey everyone, My dad and I when I was young used to play warcraft 2/3 together all the time so I have very fond memory from both games. I also just recently got a 3D printer so I thought it would be a great idea to print him an Orc Peon as a gift for his birthday. I was wondering if there was an easy way (if its even possible) to extract the model from WC3 or if there is already one out there I haven't been able to find. Any help to lead me in the right direction is appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I was wondering if there was an easy way (if its even possible) to extract the model from WC3 or if there is already one out there I haven't been able to find. [...]
To extract data from MPQ archives, you may use Ladik's MPQ Editor.
To extract data from CASC storage, you may give CascView a try (note: still a wip).

For advice about 3D printing, you may ask @Zhall
His 3D Print Lab playlist on YouTube can be found here.

For a collection of his posts / threads on THW about 3D printing, please click here.

Level 6
Which 3d printer do you have?

First make sure you pose the peon in such a way that all the lose limbs are supported properly by the bottom half.
Extract wc3 models mpq's, convert them to .obj, open them up in either maya to check the model size (mm/mtr/ctr/inch) that it all works in a good size. Then opining them up in zbrush play around with the polycount since you can cheat around a bit with adding more polygons with subdivision levels if you intend to increase the quality of the shape. (like how you can make a highpoly model which you use to bake the normalmaps with, onto the low poly model). After that you'll like have to convert the model file into a filetype the printer can work with.

it's been a few years we did play around with this so there might be faster ways around these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.