• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to 3D Print Warcraft Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
TL;DR - I have about a week to access a cheap 3D Printer & I want to try to make some little tchotchkes for my computer desk. I need a 3D model file in ".stl" format. Halp Plz?

~~~

I know there's a dude that does this, but I can't be bothered to track him down. Anyway, I have about a week or two left at my university, and before I switch colleges (out of Engineering) I want to take advantage of a cheap 3D printer that Engineering students can use.

However, I'm told it takes 3D model files in the ".stl" format, and I figured I could use the help of some of you modeling aficionados: Is there a simple/free way to change .mdx/.mdl into .stl? My biggest hope is to get a little scale model of the neutral tavern Firelord hero, but I recognize that the SFX might not translate well, so I'm considering alternatives (Troll Shadow Hunter? custom Troll Manhunter? custom Tidal Lord hero? etc).

Help is appreciated!

Level 29
Pretty much every modeling program in existence supports both OBJ and STL (and the same goes for 3D printers). You can also find online format converters (and not only for models, it's really easier sometimes to just use a website instead of downloading a program).
All that is left is to convert whatever you want to OBJ, which you have the tools for right here on the Hive.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Most 3d printers support .obj. Or at least the microsoft 3d viewer stuff that is implimented in w10 says so. So position it in mdlvis or milkshape and export it to obj and try it. or try obj. to .stl. which should work too eventually.
Pretty much every modeling program in existence supports both OBJ and STL (and the same goes for 3D printers). You can also find online format converters (and not only for models, it's really easier sometimes to just use a website instead of downloading a program).
All that is left is to convert whatever you want to OBJ, which you have the tools for right here on the Hive.
So it sounds like I can use MdlVis to go from .mdx -> .obj, and then find a website to go from .obj -> .stl? Cool.

Another question (after perusing some of Zhall's work); it appears he found a way to export a model in a particular frame of animation. That would be quite useful. Is that (easily) achievable through this method?

Level 29
OBJ and STL hold only plain geometric data.
I don't know how to export the geometric data of a model in a specific frame of animation, but I assume 3ds Max can do it.

Do you have access to something neat like an Objet, or the usual PLA-probably-100-micron-resolution MakerBot etc.?
I have access to a MakerBot Replicator 5 instead of the 2 I had previously, I wonder how quality differs. Anything interesting to print?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Do you have access to something neat like an Objet, or the usual PLA-probably-100-micron-resolution MakerBot etc.?
I have access to a MakerBot Replicator 5 instead of the 2 I had previously, I wonder how quality differs. Anything interesting to print?
No clue. I actually went up today to take a look & I couldn't decipher what make/model it is.

Sure, plenty. Or at least one.

Level 20
3D's max can export as STL for 3d printers to work with. Basicaly all you'd need to do would be to grab Neodex, import the desired model you wanted, move the timeline along the animations untill you find a pose that you like, then select the geometry and hit export.

HOWEVER! The problem you will run into here is that Warcraft 3 models VERY rarely use fully modeled geometry, they are usually just built up from one sided planes, such as shoulderpads, they rarely have geo on the inside.

Whilst that makes complete sense in terms of a 3D model for a game such as warcraft, a 3D printer on the other hand won't know what to do with something like that. So you would have to heavily modify the models you want to print to have some thickness to them first.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
3D's max can export as STL for 3d printers to work with. Basicaly all you'd need to do would be to grab Neodex, import the desired model you wanted, move the timeline along the animations untill you find a pose that you like, then select the geometry and hit export.

HOWEVER! The problem you will run into here is that Warcraft 3 models VERY rarely use fully modeled geometry, they are usually just built up from one sided planes, such as shoulderpads, they rarely have geo on the inside.

Whilst that makes complete sense in terms of a 3D model for a game such as warcraft, a 3D printer on the other hand won't know what to do with something like that. So you would have to heavily modify the models you want to print to have some thickness to them first.
Thank you for a most complete answer. : )

That's a shame, though, since it basically means I would have to have started this weeks ago, probably. If I could do it at all.

Anyway, by now I'm out of there, so I'm may have just missed my opportunity. Shame, but finishing with passing grades is more important. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.