• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged Buildings as 3D Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi Guys, new to all this and was looking at 3D printing the buildings from wc3 reforged.

Is there any way to take these models and convert them across to .obj or .stl files?

I have been working on this for a while now and have found that Reteras Model Studio allows me to view the models and even convert to .mdl files, but when I try to open these files in other programs, it will often say that the .mdl is corrupted.

I don't know if I missing something obvious, or if it is very difficult.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it just a direction point. I've been reading loads on here over the last few days and it has me at the point where I am now, but I haven't got the foggiest how to continue.

I can provide more details if required about my process.

Thanks!

Level 16
You could try using an mdl/mdx importer script to open them in 3dsmax/gmax, or any of those other 3d modelling programs and then convert it again from there.

Closest I've experienced to something like this was exporting a model from SketchUP to a long list of different programs looking for one that could actually prepare the file for 3d printing haha

Level 1
You could try using an mdl/mdx importer script to open them in 3dsmax/gmax, or any of those other 3d modelling programs and then convert it again from there.

Closest I've experienced to something like this was exporting a model from SketchUP to a long list of different programs looking for one that could actually prepare the file for 3d printing haha

So, I've found that using a script like that in the video, might well work. Unfortunately I am encountering errors with the code and probably not skilled enough to sort out the issues. I'll have a play and see if I get anywhere, but any more advice would be appreciated.

Level 16
I guess you could try stripping off any unnecessary components of the model. Since all you need is the form, you won't be needing the animations, textures/mapping, and all the other stuff (which are usually what causes problems with imports based on my past experiences).

Sometimes the scripts offer options to not include them already but if all else fails you could always try other scripts/programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.