• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I posted this in an old thread, and i don't think anybody even noticed it, and i'd like some feedback/comments on it, so I decided to post it here.

Attachments

• Waterfall_forest_1.png
    Waterfall_forest_1.png
    813.6 KB · Views: 409
Level 10
I think it looks pretty cool, but can barely see the waterfall and where is the river? Maybe make terrain dip down so you can see the river and the background to left ends in grey fog i would raise it up a bit so you can see ground and thin out fog. The lighting effects are nice tho.

Level 19
i likez it! BUT the waterfall and the sharp edges of the light from above model that i hate kinda ruins it
3bronze.jpg
Bronze Coin

Level 18
legendary work =D

i find it very interesting how the waterfall appears after looking at it for a second.
and thats when you feel the depth of the screenie.

good work... everything seems good about it ...no flaws .... umm unless

you should place a closer up fog maybe.. i dont know :p

Level 8
My first reaction is 'where's the waterfall?'

I like the forest floor - reminds me of a rain forest in the fall - thick lush, and ready for first snow.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Incase you are wondering why there is no Antialiasing, its because it physically refused to work at that resolution (was on but did not take effect).
Uncompressed in screenshot form it reaches a massive 10 MB the image so over 50% reduction for near lossless compression was pretty good.
Ofcourse better hardware could probably produce better results but come on people, that is how a terrain screenshot should look.
It is so big you will have to downsize it to use as a desktop lol.

Basically how I did this was by making a fake resolution for my screen which displayed at my screens suported resolution but was internally a whole lot bigger. I also used intensive filters like AF and AA at the highest settings, although the AA failed to turn on at that resolution but hopefully the AF worked.

If you would like to learn more or talk about such high quality images, feel free to contact me.

Level 18
wat's the difference between PNG and JPEG, other then size and quality ?

PNG makes things look more defined. JPEG uses to few pixels compared to PNG, so i imagine the pic would look even crispier.

thing is the textures of the models in the pic themselves aren;t that good...however if you took a high resolution picture.... It might be REAL HD.

So deathcom3, can yo make a high resolution pic of a high resolution terrain ??? just wondering..

srry i trailed off, what were we talkin about again xD

Level 21
PNG makes things look more defined. JPEG uses to few pixels compared to PNG, so i imagine the pic would look even crispier.
wut? Resolution has nothing to do with the image type. Jpeg uses a great compression method and at 90% quality you already greatly reduce filesize without losing any visual quality. Anyone using PNG's is using it because they like screwing with about 80% of the internet users that only have fast internet and not very fast internet. It's nearly as annoying as uploading tga's. But hey, go ahead if you don't mind that the majority just ignores your pictures.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ummmmm, thats the jpeg....
The PNG uncompressed was 10MB, the image attached is 3.7 MB. I gave it to him with as little compression as possiable just to see the quality of it. You could probably reduce it to under 2 MB while still keeping a reasonable quality level but this was just a test.

May I remind you lot that he did not take the image, I did as a test to show how a real terrain image could look. I choose to use his terrain for the test as there simply was no one with ready made terrain available. The results are clear, not only is mine more detailed, but the textures are less blury and you could downsize it to half the resolution for super sampled AA if the image is too big.

To me the terrain looks pretty good, have no clue WTF most of you are on about the waterfall.

Anyway, if you think you have a terrain more worthy of HD, then feel free to contact me and I am more than willing to take the screenshot for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.