• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Gost's Tropical Island [Images Updated]

(Found outhow to post the images without you haveing to click link)
Hey i made a island terrain and am looking for some comments/critisism.
Pic 1
This is the human base, last minute addition.
Pic 2
This is behind the human base loboking out at the sea.
Pic 3
This is the bridge, (and hell yea! its walkable il post map in a lil bit.)
Pic 4
Why'l gathering water for the camp a peasant discovers a druid. Are there more, can they help the humans survive on this island? Wel find out soon enough :emote_laugh: .
Pic 5
These are the ruins of an old building.
Pic 6
This is the waterfall, beautiful isnt it :pThis is both the bridge and the waterfall together.
Pic 7
This is both the bridge and the waterfall together.
So, all comments and critisism are welcome.

Attachments

• Base2b.JPG
    Base2b.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 138
  • BBase2b.JPG
    BBase2b.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Bridge2b.JPG
    Bridge2b.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Druid2b.JPG
    Druid2b.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 186
  • ruins2b.JPG
    ruins2b.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Waterfall2b.JPG
    Waterfall2b.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Brig WF2c.JPG
    Brig WF2c.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Level 7
It's really cool terrain!!! The human just came to such a small(?) island

What happen with pic2?? Waterfall to ground??

Level 2
It's nice, but the scaling could be more realistic. The mushrooms are huge! And the human towers and boats should be bigger. And it should be more water where the waterfall gets down on the ground. And you should add fog and have lightning on! (Doesn't look like Lightning is on.)

Level 10
Thanks! Well you cant really see it in those pictures the waterfall falls into a river, but il try and make it a little bit more imposing. Actualy i started this as a game but transformed it into a showcase (thats why the birdge can be walked on, i actualy sat there for a good 5 minutes walking back n forth on it cuz it was cool :p). The deal witht he humans was there city was under attack from the undead, the only way out was through the sea. But they were pursued and ended up getting marooned on the island with only a broken shipfull of suppplies, Updating terrain as we speak.

EDIT: Slight modification of bridge image (updated) was about to update other image(s) but my family want me to play a game with them be back.....sooon :p

Level 10
I know i changed that in my update. Wich i was in the middle of. Uploading the new images, sec.
EDIT: All updated, is there anything i can improve or work on?
(BTW can you get rep from making terrain?)

Level 10
Can you tone down sunrays without destroying them completly? Otherwise il just get rid of them.

Level 6
I really don't like this terrain piece i think that it is sloppy and that allot of it makes no sense... bushes on sand... A sand dune on a that small island?... grass randomly popping up... how u placed things on hills without changing there max roll angles before hand... the bridge is a bit too steep u could have stretched it out more,so it looked plausible... there is nothing in the water around it so it isn't that believable... and the weather affects is a bit too much...

allot of improvement can be done, but that is just my opinion... Good luck on future terrain pieces!

Level 2
Now the scaling is better! But the mushrooms are still a little too big. ;P

Level 10
Kracken, how do i get them as thumbnails?
EDIT: "there is nothing in the water around it so it isn't that believable"
Its an island in the middle of an ocean, whats gonna be around it.....
EDIT2: All pics updated; Bridge lowered, more grassy island moved some doodads around. Fixed the camera angle on bridge&water pic and waterfall pic so you could see where the waterfall hits the water better.

Last edited:
Normally if you go to advanced - Manage Attachments and use the picture (in j.peg format) it should add it as a thumbnail.

@ the terrain, if they are trapped there by the undead; put like a main, bigger land thats an undead bastion ^.^

And use the water tinting to make the water greenish (sea water is green after all). Add some fog too.

Level 10
K kracken il try adding them in thumbnails ina minute, was working on fog anyways, and i already started adding another island. But its not what you think o_O. cant work on WE right now neihbors have disk, but il try messing with the pics.
EDIT: Thumbnailatized :p.

Level 10
Actually, i used moon rays instead and i like the results /shrug. Check out the updated images.

Level 10
Moved it to get at another doodad forgot to move back, will move it back once i get my disk back, il start wrking on the other island once i get the disk back aswell.
EDIT: Alright i got my disk back il start working on the second island and fix that tree.
EDIT: 2 Fixed tree, photo updated.

Last edited:
Level 6
You usually dont see Sand and then all of a sudden grass.
Try making it so theres some grassy dirt between the Grass and Sand.
I usually try to go like this
Water --> Sand or Dirt --> Grassy Dirt --> Grass because it seems more natural.
And you also dont see Grass right beside or even under the water do you?
Well this may sound all negative but i think its pretty nice :D

Level 10
Yep yep, i figured as much. Was doing that and turning some doodads as the final touchs to the islands, thanks for the critisism, its helpfull ;P.
EDIT: I got a problem guys, if i tint the water it doesnt match the waterfalls. Any ideas?

Level 10
Tried that but, when changing the waterfall tinting its RIDICULOUSLY unnoticable : /. Any other ideas?

Level 10
The problem was the waterfalls not the fog, but anyways not to big of a deal. Im off to school later.

Level 7
Well I just say there is no map running with one small island like that, so can you show me others region that we can gives other ideas

Level 10
No no no, i meant i was GONNA make this into a map, it never got published or anything ;).
EDIT: Got to continue work on a project of mine, rest of island ideas are canceled :p sorry.

Last edited:
Level 6
Gost, sand dosent just randomly build up on 1 island... and beacouse u have a waterfall on ur island it seems more permanent than a temporary sand island... i would think that there would be islands stemming close to the island as well as ruins that have been washed under the sea over time...

Level 7
Budha, what you mean is given some grass isn't it?? It's make sense... Only beach section that full of sands, center field should be full of grass(and more tree?)

Level 10
Actualy theres sand on the bottom of the sea, and it washes up onto land farms, ie the island. There doesnt have to be another island nearby, the water fall is coming do to a fountain atop of it, just water falling down a hill. Ruins are large heavy and dont move for thousands upon thousands of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.