• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Barrens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
This is a WIP this is not a showcase this is just progress on my barrens terrain

1st pic: heres some barrens terrain i did i hope i did better...

2nd pic: Added more hills cause FamousPker49 said i should.

3rd pic: added a ton of rocks and zoomed out.

4th pic: turned waterfall because Teh_Ephy pointed out it was angled wrong.

5th pic: added fog and more rocks and some stuff to the water.

6th pic: was too clustered.

7th pic: moved camera a little bit added and removed rocks added a dead tree.

8th pic: last pic for the night change rock skin camera added some spikes.

9th pic: Did alot i hope it is better (oh crap! ignore the green circle...)

10th pic: added a more lively effect and more units and structures.

Attachments

• Scenery2.jpg
    Scenery2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Scenery2edit.jpg
    Scenery2edit.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Scenery2edit2.jpg
    Scenery2edit2.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Scenery2edit3.jpg
    Scenery2edit3.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Scenery2edit4.jpg
    Scenery2edit4.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Scenery2edit5.jpg
    Scenery2edit5.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Scenery2edit6.jpg
    Scenery2edit6.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Scenery2edit8.jpg
    Scenery2edit8.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Scenery2edit9.jpg
    Scenery2edit9.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 175
  • Scenery2edit10.jpg
    Scenery2edit10.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Level 4
i like the way you implemented the non-ramp water to land transition, but the bridge itself seems to be standing out a bit blandly. You might want to put some bushes and some barren style trees in the background. To complement the grunts there, maybe you can put a burrow or something along with a fire roasting a pig doodad to give it a more grunt campish feel. Overall good, but can definitely improve :D

Level 4
hmm i think the newest pic is actually detrimental to the picture. Firstly, if im not mistaken, i think that some of the rocks are floating. Secondly the rocks are way to numerous and the background terrain is slightly flat which is very bland and unexciting...

What I would recommend is to replcase those destructible rocks wit hthe actual barrens themed doodad rocks and next put some shrubbery and some trees in the background to give it a more lively look.

Level 21
That looks.... awful... no atmosphere, just a bad designed bridge without anything special... take a look on real terraining and compare it to yours... stop doing such a stuff which looks like bad standard terraining from a TD.

Add some real BARREN rocks, not the destructible ones, add some shrubs, remove all the destructible rocks, add some fog, add some tile variation, fix the bug with the cliff at the bridge, add some shrubs and cattails in the water, make the river not so straight, add some trees (barren trees, or UTM barren trees) etc.

Level 34
Yes he is. He hasn't updated since you guys suggested using barrens rocks.

As I said to you in chat, the biggest problem is the fact that you are zoomed in on one big doodad. I would scrap this terrain, and start over. Or at least make a custom bridge out of doodads.

Level 4
your completely right, but if you wanna post this and get good reviews then i would fix what you have or just not post at all because experienced terrainers are telling you it will look much better a different way. If you wanna do it for fun and get bad reviews fine by me...

Level 34
why the heck am i being yelled at the last time i remembered i was doing this for fun...
If you think this is bad, try warcraft3capmpaigns. :p

Everyone is just being honest with you. Just because you may be new to this, there's no way were going to give you the "It's okay for a first terrain." If it's poor quality we'll tell you straight out. Some people are a little more harsh, but you have to deal with it.

If you'd rather not get peoples opinions, keep your terrain to yourself.

Level 34
Well, me for example got good reviews even with my first attempt at artistic terraining, check my showcase, not a single flame review or something, terraining is easy, just think MORE.
First off I still say there was no flaming, harsh criticism at the most.

Second, I could give you some less "good reviews" if you want! Your terrains are not "good" yet. Some are decent, but you still need more work.

I also don't consider terrain easy. Sure you can make decent stuff pretty easily, but try getting a piece into the legendary terrain.

Level 4
wow the last picture is awesome, did something just click?, anyway you might wanna add some grass and some barrens tree next to the orc encampments, good use of the tent doodad but it looks kinda plain by itself there, good so far

Level 34
Well I feel proud. I think I nailed the big problem with the terrain. :)

It looks much better. Still needs some work, but it's a huge improvement. Use more plants, and do not place them randomly. Place them all around other objects like the tents, rocks, and that outpost. You can make small clumps, or some here and there, but it looks awful when people just place plants all willy nilly over the terrain.

Level 34
And why exactly are you bumping? If you haven't updated your terrains please don't bump. Read the rules.

Level 17
If it's possible, tint the waterfall a bit darker, doesn't fit the river, at all.

The units seems to be placed randomly, them a bit smaller, and put some up in a tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.