• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Waterfalls by CT(me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I tried to make waterfalls. So hoping for feedbacks.
544499_479423925418943_1593350152_n.jpg
This one failed XD

And my new one
179526_479814205379915_716819648_n.jpg

Last edited:
Level 18
First off, you want to rethink the positioning of the camera.
The ground should be higher also next to the waterfall, not just behind it, as that is clearly impossible.
Also the ground where the waterfall itself resides should be a bunch of rocks as that's the kind of terrain waterfalls tend to be in.
The eerie fog model is good to make foam for the parts where the waterfall hits either the surface of the water or anything that collides with it, such as rocks pointing out from behind.
You should also increase the size of the map to not make it look like it's the end of the world behind that waterfall.
The trees could use some variety and the terrain on the sides some details.

Allright, here is what it could look like. No, it's not perfect at all. Especially for the facts that I've managed to bug my world editor to have "night" all the time.
145260-albums2129-picture59577.png

Oh, yes. And I wish to apologize if it (No doubt it did) took longer than you expected I managed to be fooling around trying stuff out and not concentrate on the actual meaning of the picture.
The background in the picture that I gave you is bad as I did not make it to show things about making a forest or whatever it's supposed to have back there.

It's mainly about making the rocky area near the waterfall, the waterfall itself, foam and the positioning of the camera. Use several waterfalls for a big one to make it appear of better quality and make it actually look more like a waterfall. Also, the flora near a waterfall is unlike a river it doesn't have cattails on the shore of the area where the water flows.

(Oh, and if the picture is awkwardly sized or it looks like it has some ridiculous resolution, it's because I have a TV as my monitor at the moment and it makes everything look.. Fuzzy.)

I hope this'll help you atleast a bit on improving your terraining abilities. If you have any other questions that you would want to ask. Feel free to ask me.

EDIT: Hhm.. And there.. I almost forgot to say that if you want the rock models, get them from here I keep forgetting to mention the things I was planning to. Also I myself dislike the wave texture that comes from the waterfalls, due to that fact I recommend replacing that texture with a 100% alpha one.

Bern~

Last edited:
Level 3
Thanks to you both, I finished this the other day (before ~Void~ posted) but still wasn't content with it but at least it looked a "bit" more natural
179526_479814205379915_716819648_n.jpg

-So I tried the rocks Bern gave me but I'm not good with them so I only added a few of the new model. I ended up spamming rocks instead.
-I added a weather rays of light.
-Changed the angle
-Redid most stuff
-Removed those shrubs and stuff by the river.
-I extended the map area but it still looks the same, probably because the placement of the clouds which I didn't change
-I'm still bad at the background
________
@Bernkastel tnx for the rock models. I can't help but see that if you connect some of them they look like animals (I saw a frog and chameleon by accident) lolz.
@~Void~ I'm reading it, tnx.

Last edited:
Level 3
Possibl One of the best Waterfalls here on Hiv
not really but thanks

I don't like how you used the rock, you spammed it with little to no plan in mind of what the water should look.
I tend to spam doodads that I don't know how to place. Learning to do it better though :vw_unimpressed:

aMEWzing @.@!!
Where you get that high resolution waterfall??
from utm (waterfalls 2) and I just put lots of them on the same place

Status
Not open for further replies.