• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Water Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I tried making a temple for my game. It is situated on the center of the map. I imagined a temple with water flowing on its stairs. I have posted the screenshots. Please comment on what i have made and tell me what should i do to improve the terrain. Thanks in Advance. :grin:

Attachments

• WaterSky.jpg
    WaterSky.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 293
  • TopView-1.jpg
    TopView-1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 399
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 253
  • NewVariation.jpg
    NewVariation.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 231
  • WithLight.jpg
    WithLight.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Level 8
I tried making a temple for my game. It is situated on the center of the map. I imagined a temple with water flowing on its stairs. I have posted the screenshots. Please comment on what i have made and tell me what should i do to improve the terrain. Thanks in Advance. :grin:

For a WIP (work in progress) it is great.

Granted we are seeing this from the editor, and before you go much further I strongly suggest you "test" the map and see what it looks like from the perspective of player units.

I am uncertain on how the stairs work via objecting editing if at all possible make them a tad taller (Z) and either reduce their width (Y or X depending on which way they are facing) or increase the width of the waterfalls.

I would make a customized version of Ruins Wall (Destructible, comes in horizontal, vertical and two diagonals and various variations) and set its size to a wider range of sizes a tad larger and a tad smaller.

Around 150-180 size of the wall you can use it to make diagonal cliffs smooth. I attached an image to show you below.

I set mine on the edge of the wall then used CTRL + page down to lower it until the line near the top of the wall lines up with the ground on the step up. This will provide a little lip. I have used similar walls set a bit larger to make a banister around cliffs.

You can also "stair step" that on either side of your waterfall near the top to enclose and channel the water down the stairs it will match up the ruins tile set. Tow ways. You can either use the wall with no end pillars and set it into the temple leaving about half of it sticking out to where it will slightly overlap the next one down, or you can use the pillar version and run it like the diagonal one I have below having the pillar ends flanking the water fall. Then using your Obelisks at the corners to cleanly end the walls.

At the base of the water falls you need a larger pool. Since these are facing the compass directions (north, south, east, west) you can use the square cliff tool and create a larger pool - perhaps even ramp into then from the far side using a smaller. I made and exaggerated version for you (image 2) so you can get the general idea.

Lastly that is a lot and I mean a hella lot of water pouring down the sides of your temple. You need to "justify" that much water flowing.

Image 3 and 4 below is from a map I made that has a lot of "fountains". The first is the fountain in place the second is another fountain this time with the water off (hitting w on the keyboard) and from the side showing you how high the fountain goes. You can do similar, however reducing the X and Y (you might need to customize the falls) and increasing the Z.

Also all of that water must go someplace - I would divide my map into four segments by running the water diagonally out to the corners. If you are planning on more fountains/water sources feeding into the water ways then you need to increase the width of the water courses as more water is added.

Lastly, you need to figure out how you are going to hide the edges of the water falls. The models are designed to be embedded in something to where the edges are hidden.

You can either step back the water channel into the temple (Might not work if you are using Cliff two on the bottom stair step) Or use some sort of structure (heavy looking) to flank the sides of the water fall and to hide those edges.

Attachments

• Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 159
  • POOL.jpg
    POOL.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Waterspout.jpg
    Waterspout.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Waterspout 2.jpg
    Waterspout 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 139
Level 34
Wraithwynd every post you have is a mini tutorial. They are good though! Keep it up!

Level 6
Wraithwynd every post you have is a mini tutorial. They are good though! Keep it up!

Yeah. This is the second time he gave a mini tutorial on my threads. I'm just going to eat dinner. Ill post the update a bit later. ^^

EDIT: I just added two new screenshots. I just used sunken ruin walls to cover up the diagonal cliffs, change the water height and added some doodads.

Last edited:
Level 9
Looks mush better now !

You could like put some arches at the top of the pyramid with a roof or something on the top so it looks like the water comes out from the sides instead of the top like a volcano. If you understand what i mean. :wink:

/MadseN

Level 6
Looks mush better now !

You could like put some arches at the top of the pyramid with a roof or something on the top so it looks like the water comes out from the sides instead of the top like a volcano. If you understand what i mean. :wink:

/MadseN

ok i'll try what you said.... after school ^^

Level 8
I don't know about the coral... I'm not too big for them outside of the ocean type scenes or undersea worlds. Coral do not survive fresh water and being out of water.

It might work if the ground beneath it was sand or dirt or something more natural. Instead you have brick paving which would prevent a lot of things from growing, maybe a few lilypads... Anything else and it is just "wrong" for the environment.

There is still the problem of the water falling down the top stair the sides are too sharp - are too cut off.

You cleaned up the zigzag diagonal walls which is real good.

Looks to me you have a ways to go with your map - considering that around the temple is just sand still its going to be hard to say if the temple works or not until the map is filled out around it. How the temple sits in its environment will have a huge impact on how what you have works.

I will wait until you have more to your map so we can get a look see of the world you are creating.

Level 25
To me it still looks plain. There needs to be more atmosphere! Do the three important things, the following are:
  • Make the terrain look interesting all around!
  • Add a fog that blends well with the terrain and sky.
  • Could use some hills.
Those three things will improve your work a lot. Trust me.
~Craka_J

Level 6
OK I will follow your tips. But i have my final exams this weekend so i can't do terraining at the moment. I'll post the update next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.