• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Naga Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Underwater Temple

This is not my very first attempt at terraining, but it is still a fairly early attempt, but I thought it was decent so I figured I would post it here and try to get some comments on how to improve it. I appreciate constructive critism. Thanks.

Attachments

• Naga1.jpg
    Naga1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 323
  • naga2.jpg
    naga2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 335
  • naga one.jpg
    naga one.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 531
  • naganew1.jpg
    naganew1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 670
  • naganew2.jpg
    naganew2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 320
  • naganew3.jpg
    naganew3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 280
  • naganew4.jpg
    naganew4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Level 34
Still needs more of an underwater feel. Not sure what you can do. I suggest making the fog thicker. The angle of the screen could be better as well.

Level 34
Looks different, but not better really. I am really bad at underwater though, I can't help that much.

For angle, I don't know, I say just have things closer to the screen.

Level 8
Looks pretty nice, just needs more dynamic action or angle. Usually a normal ground view of something is extremely boring and doesnt do a good job to provide an interesting perspective. Try a semi birds eye view or bugs eye to give it more depth and somethign beyond being "just" a temple.

Also you have an excessive amount of negative space that detracts from the primary subject. You dont need tons of sand trailing off into a blue fog to imply its underwater. The hardest job underwater terrainers have is subtly making a picture look underwater. Coral and fish point it out, but doesnt give it that underwater feel.

I dont have too many tips as to how to make it look underwater, but you're gonna want to give it that feel when the cameras close up and far away and without needing coral or fish.

Level 34
Here is an example of what I meant earlier. The angle of the screen is better. The cave and the stuff near to the screen makes it less boring IMO.

I also think you can see too much for underwater. From that distance, usually, you can't see far.

Attachments

• UW.jpg
    UW.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 775
Level 34
Way better Famous! The temple looks good. I still think the whole underwater feel needs work, but that's the hardest thing with underwater. Play around with the fog.

Level 9
I would suggest you change to the fog to something more dark teal like Gilles showed. the blue fog which you use atm doesn't really fit the overall underwater feeling.

Also you might want to lower the angel of attack of camera even more. So you look up on the ruins instead of down to make the picture less boring. The Stairs are great as they are, better to have them more to the left instead of the middle as you had in the first pictures.

Also there's a few spots in the background that is flat, you might wanna rise the ground there.

Otherwise the picture is great. Keep up the work !

/MadseN

Level 34
I disagree with you MadseN (it's hard to disagree with such a great terrainer) I like the angle. I do agree with everything else. Improve these things and you will get rep! ;)

Level 34
Looks better! +rep. It's a tie between th and 5th for me. I like them both a lot.

You should take your pictures from the WE, you can get much better angles.

Level 34
I've done that before. A number of times actually. My Pallet covers up where it says game view and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.