• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
wastelandloadingscreen.jpg

Wasteland is a post apocalyptic themed Hero Survival map that requires teamwork - and more - for survival.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA5DvTPY_pA&feature=player_embedded#! - Screen shot gameplay collage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdVyujKsF8M - Ingame quest video

Taking place 8 years after a nuclear and biological war, you are among a group of survivors pitted in a destroyed and run-down environment who's only goal is to survive.
Due to the biological and nuclear warfare, people left on the surface during ground zero have become mutated, disfigured, and rotting.
These walking corpses have lost all sense of Humanity and will stop at nothing to devour those left alive.
Your only goal is to survive relentless waves of these creatures and last as long as possible.

In Wasteland, there will more than just "killing zombies".
You will have to eat and sleep to keep alive.
You will be able to interact with Neutral NPC's and Interact with certain objects in the game.
Think of Wasteland like a breed between Terrania, Island Troll Tribes, and an RPG with a small dash of Night of the Dead.

In Wasteland, the game does not end, you will be able to load and save your character at the beginning of the game and when you die. Experience saved will be your "gold" and the more you have, the more abilities and features you will have available.
Neutral NPC's offer quests and rewards for good deeds, while others offer bad deeds with different Items.
There will be an attachment system for the multiple "Villager" models in the game.
Take notice though that if you wrong a neutral NPC, they will become violent and hostile toward you.

I also have in mind multiple Classes for Wasteland. Each Class has a unique purpose in the game:

Fighter - The Fighter's main purpose is to develop his fighting skills from a tech tree to defeat increasingly dangerous enemies.

Defender - The Defender chooses from various defensive abilities to help protect the group from threats and taking the majority of the damage.

Worker - The Worker uses various skills to gather resources, has the ability to create food by farming, creates brews and herbal potions.

Crafter - the Crafter uses his tech tree to build baricades, traps, and creates weapons and armors for the Fighters and Defenders.

Each Hero of all classes have a primary, secondary, support, and Suppressed ability. As you complete quests and gain skill points, you can in turn spend skill points to increase the level of those abilities. When you select a class, you will select each ability (primary, secondary, etc.) from a list to customize your hero to your play style. .

Unlike nearly all zombie maps you see, Wasteland is not about Marines being sent on a mission into a virally infected area.
There is no government, no military, and the only weapons are those crafted using available resources and those left over from before the war.
Civilization has been plummeted into a new Dark Age; no more technology, no more infrastructure... In wasteland there is only chaos, death, and ruins.

So Far I have in mind for 8 playable slots by Human players.
Player 9 (Grey) Will be a Neutral NPC that is automatically set as an ally to the players.
Player 10 (Light Blue) is the same as Player 9, but will signify that the unit(s) give an available quest to the group.
Player 11 (Dark Green) Will be Wasteland Raiders and are set to Hostile towards everyone - Doing quests can gain favor, allowing players to become allies to the raiders.
Player 12 (Brown) will be the infected that spawn throughout the game and attack Survivors. Quest units can be killed by this NPC.

A unique structure building system that uses resources in the form of items.
An interactive environment that you can examine more deeply than other maps.
Each Survivor will have their own "status" board that shows their fatique, hitpoints, energy, and hunger, and currency.
Roaming Traders that allow you to use a custom currency (displayed as an item).
Lumber is displayed as raw materials that a worker can then form into various resources.
Gold is displayed as "Experience" that allows you to save and load, which will unlock special features.
Merchants in various locations that you can trade with using the custom currency.
Group quests that allow you to gain more experience in each session.
More features will come as I think of them...

Here's some of the Terrain taken from World Editor:

wastelandwip1.jpg

wastelandwip2.jpg

wastelandwip3.jpg

wastelandwip4.jpg

wastelandwip5.jpg

wastelandwip6.jpg

wastelandwip7.jpg

wastelandwip8.jpg

wastelandwip9.jpg

Update - 9/16/10 - Added Forces, Features, and two new Terrain screenshots

Update - 10/3/10 - Added Survivor Subclasses

wastelandingame3.jpg

wastelandingame4.jpg

wastelandingame5.jpg

wastelandingame7.jpg

wasteland6.jpg

Attachments

• Defender Ability.doc
    28 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Level 8
Its good to know after nuclear bombs have dropped the two things left standing are the chairs in church and the gates that surround the grave yard lol.

Change that max pitch n roll angle of the gates and lower some into the ground.

I love your take on the survival genre. Seems refreshing since you have to eat to survive

Level 6
I know what you mean with the whole chairs and church thing, but I was kind of limited with what's already in the warcraft 3 editor, and I didn't really feel like importing a whole lot of doodads as I wanted to get straight to the terraining.

Thanks for the pitch suggestion, that'll add to my very limited arsenal, +rep for you too!

Level 6
i suggest put the screenshots here and not to other sites

I would have, but I already had a thread like this on a different forum, so I just copy and pasted everything into here. All of the tags and links were already there and they aren't hurting anything how they were, so I didn't see a point in changing it. I also didn't see the need in adding a huge image with a hidden tag when I already had it in that form.

Level 22
If you need ever need any help with Terrain or GUI I can be of assistance. You shouldn't give up on Wc3, it's timeless. xD
@Blackrockorc: Did you consider the bombs may not have directly hit the vicinity, and the area was only destroyed by the thick toxic irradiated air?

Level 6
Terraining shouldn't be a problem but I'll definately need help with a good save/load code. I haven't been able to find a good one that suits my needs, and I really have no idea how to make one from scratch. Besides that I think I can handle the other triggers but since I'm working on them as I'll need them, I won't promise that I won't need any help fixing problems with triggers.

Level 8
If you need ever need any help with Terrain or GUI I can be of assistance. You shouldn't give up on Wc3, it's timeless. xD
@Blackrockorc: Did you consider the bombs may not have directly hit the vicinity, and the area was only destroyed by the thick toxic irradiated air?

Well Lets say if that did happen. Houses(church) is just pillars? so how can we explain that without having the rest of stuff blown away. Still gates should be bent outta position.

Level 6
Well it could simply be caused by time through a much more harsh environment, and possibly non-nuclear bombs. It could also have been caused in the early stages of the wars, riots and pillaging. There's really a whole complexity of things that could have happened, which is why it's better to leave it at where I did instead of going into too much detail.

Also, I have used pitch on a lot of things, and it has made several things look more realistic, so I will agree with some of the things being knocked over.

Level 8
Well it could simply be caused by time through a much more harsh environment, and possibly non-nuclear bombs. It could also have been caused in the early stages of the wars, riots and pillaging. There's really a whole complexity of things that could have happened, which is why it's better to leave it at where I did instead of going into too much detail.

Also, I have used pitch on a lot of things, and it has made several things look more realistic, so I will agree with some of the things being knocked over.

well said, "rioting." Glad you started using the pitch n roll angle. You got a decent spawner going?

Level 6
Actually I haven't even started on triggers, I'm still in the Terraining Stage. I've done a couple of units and even fewer abilities to kind of get organized for when I start making the heroes. I'm hoping to finish the terrain tomorrow (with the exception of going back and adding doodads). For the most part I'm still working it out in my head how I'll need the triggers when I get to them, which I hope to be soon.

Edit*

For the Spawner I plan to have a random wave system going, no more of this Timed wave nonsense, this allows players to immerse themselves in the game and explore. Think of the spawn system I have in mind like Left 4 Dead's (for the xbox 360) spawn, each game has a different number of spawns and it's always at random times.

Last edited:
Level 22
Terraining shouldn't be a problem but I'll definately need help with a good save/load code. I haven't been able to find a good one that suits my needs, and I really have no idea how to make one from scratch. Besides that I think I can handle the other triggers but since I'm working on them as I'll need them, I won't promise that I won't need any help fixing problems with triggers.

I recommend downloading one, I can't make one either. I would recommend downloading TriggerHappy's and editing it to fit your requirements.
As for the wave spawner, that's a good thing to aim for, never make a map in which the same thing happens every time. Every map involving a small to large amount of cinematic immersion should have a system of random events. Without it you could play the map four times and never play it again.

There are more than enough ways to explain what happened as Evil stated. Go play Fallout 3 nub. :p
It is also rumored that if several Nuclear bombs were to fall at the same time in the same radius, the radiation and the following Nuclear winter could weaken and possibly destroy much of the protective layer of chemicals around the Earth causing the weather, and every day environment to become almost uninhabitable.

Level 6
Well, what do you expect from a post apocalyptic themed map? Pretty trees with lush green leaves and cute fluffy bunnies running around?

Iv'e already said I hadn't imported anything because I wanted to get finished with the terrain and other features of the map.

If you can find me a dead looking tree that is better than the god-awful blizzard textures and has a death animation I'll be happy to use it instead. That's the reason I'm using generic trees, because they have to be harvestable.

Last edited:
Level 6
Hmm, I know the UTM has some really good dead trees, but I couldn't remember if they had death animations or not. I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to look.

Edit* Turns out that the dead trees in the UTM did have animations. I spent a good while today replacing the old trees with the "prettier" dead trees. (kind of an oxymoron there huh)

Last edited:
Level 6
Added a .Doc of Abilties the Defender will Have. At the Moment I still need more so feel free to suggest them. They need to be pretty realistic, not quite spells that you would generally see in a Hero Defense.

There can Be a total of 12 abilities for each subclass and I want to have at least 6-8 For Each, I'll add abilties as I come up with them. Feel free to throw me some ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.