• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Escape / Maze] Warden Ice Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Title.png

Krumelur 3 White.png

Navigate through 27 icy obstacles using the arrowkeys.

This is an escape map where you use the arrowkeys to navigate your way through a frozen dimension.

White Underline.png

Features
  • Arrowkey movement
  • Multiple unique ice escape features (see screenshots)
  • Clean clear UI
  • Frequent checkpoints
  • Achivements (TBA)
Screenshots

An in-game look on the three types of ice, which all have different friction.

WardenIceEscape7.png
Every ice escape map needs a standard enemy of some sort. Here it's blades.

WardenIceEscape1.png
Runestones grants invisibility for a set amount of time, allowing you to sneak past guardians.

WardenIceEscape2.png
Windy areas push you in the winds direction with varying force depending on the area.

WardenIceEscape0.png
Ice with a sparkling magical trail on the reverses player controls.

WardenIceEscape6.png
Moving platforms allows the player to cross over the void.

WardenIceEscape4.png
Spellbooks grant the player the ability to blink a set number of times.

WardenIceEscape5.png
Spirit owls grant protection from enemies as long as you stay close.

WardenIceEscape3.png

Future
This map only contain the map introduction area, showing the player all special features in the map by going through a few simple tracks. Future versions will feature:
  • Many more obstacles
  • Speed running
  • Obstacle gauntlets of varying level
  • Achivements
  • More decorations

Be sure to tell me what you think, and what is missing!
Feedback is the key to making the map great. :)

Attachments

• Warden - Ice Escape 2019.w3x
    590.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Level 26
Hopefully, and then each player will have a different epic skin!
However, there are a few issues with multiplayer with this system, but I could make it work eventually. It would also have a cap of 6 players I think, since it might become a bit performance heavy otherwise.

Also, as an ice escape fan, what are the most important features a map like this should have in your opinion?

Ah, ok. If there are code questions we can always talk.! ^^

I mostly enjoy path-crativity combined with clever placed environment features which have some diversity. For example too many same and simple patrols en masse can for sure be hard enough, but is boring gameplay, if it's always the same. At same time, sliding itself without external influence can be challenging, and fun, too, if there are some creative turns needed, etc. Better have less evironment, but creative features, than always repeat same thing over and over again en masse. Focusing on these both is maybe good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Someone said Ice Escape? When will we play this?

@BlueSaint , maybe you want, too.
I'm in :D

Yes, creating Ice Escape is a lot of fun. I feel it's a genre that could benefit greatly from innovations. I feel like the same building blocks are reused over and over... Edit: Kind of repeated what IcemanBo said...

I'd like there to be some reverse and uncontrollable ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
@BlueSaint
No reverse ice yet, but there is uncontrollable ice.
I also have wind, which is really funny to play with, as you have to counter the wind all the time.

@Daffa the Mage
Yeah... :D
It is a spinoff of Warden though, and something to keep my mind busy while I get help wih the main project. :)

@IcemanBo
So, focus on diversity, and avoid repeating gameplay I guess. That's what I try to do in the campaign aswell.
I think I have some creative elements in this one already, and more are planned. I try not to do to many patrol dodgers in a row and stuff like that aswell.
Thanks for your insight! :)

I'd love to ask for some help with coding later!
I just need to focus on the finals for this semseter until tomorrow. :)

Level 26
Just posting some progress.
Created a handy small wind doodad.
Currently 121 obstacles! Going for ~150.
4244d9136e9d8d89f29c290eca849aa0.jpg

EDIT:
@IcemanBo (I wonder if tagging someone in an edit works...?)
You being the competetive ice fanatic, what do you think of this concept:

Every time you reach a checkpoint, you gain 1 point and all other players are teleported there.
All players are paused for a second, and then they can race for the next checkpoint.
The one with the most points when you reach X number of checkpoints wins.
Also, a coder questions: do you have any good techniques for preventing patrolling units from desyncing?

Last edited:
Every time you reach a checkpoint, you gain 1 point and all other players are teleported there.
All players are paused for a second, and then they can race for the next checkpoint.
The one with the most points when you reach X number of checkpoints wins.
Maybe yes, I don't know. It depends also if you want competetive or team gameplay maybe.

Also, a coder questions: do you have any good techniques for preventing patrolling units from desyncing?
If they already ignore all pathings, like with having 'Aloc' ability, not sure what else can be done. Are units created in editor? Maybe there's some sync-off already.

Edit:

When making a race for checkpoints, it could get a maybe not so good aspect if there's no time running. Like when I know there are 10 checkpoints maybe, I won 6, then it's over. But if there are like 15 minutes to rush for as many checkpoints as possible, and there are just levels en masse so we can never get all in 15 minutes, then it's maybe a bit more interesting for race.

Last edited:
Level 26
When making a race for checkpoints, it could get a maybe not so good aspect if there's no time running. Like when I know there are 10 checkpoints maybe, I won 6, then it's over. But if there are like 15 minutes to rush for as many checkpoints as possible, and there are just levels en masse so we can never get all in 15 minutes, then it's maybe a bit more interesting for race.
Interesting!
I'm not sure wether or not I should go for this or the other (probably both in the end). Good idea, thanks!

Also, added a logo picture for the top of the thread:
logo-png.288561

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Unfortunately have to pass, I will be home on Friday.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Very nice ideas imo. Never seen arrow keys used for this type of maze, and the obstacles are more unique than most (for example the wind)

However, the sliding is very un-responsive, and tapping the arrow key to make a small adjustment does not work most of the time :(

Also there is still debug text on wind lvls

Level 26
Update!
For the people who played the old version, the map now has a more responsive arrowkeysystem, allowing minimal adjustments on the ice.
Because of that, all obstacles will have to be reworked to fit the new system, so there are not as many obstacles available right now, but more will arrive over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.