• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WARDEN General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Warden%20Title.jpg

114801-21ffae7762e3ea54bb2bf6c16778cd6f_tn2.jpg

This is the place to discuss general things about the project. It was a map development thread, but now that isn't necessary anymore because of the hosted project forum.

If you'd like to comment, discuss, report a bug, contribute ideas or suggest something, post below.

Last edited:
Level 26
Experimentation with colours and future maps.

Smaller versions with a border and without text.

The top row are the four overmaps of the game.
Under each overmap, there are three submaps available.
starglade-preview-png.260243
outlandpre-png.260255
stargladechaospre-png.260257
ghostfiretunnelspre-png.260253
StargladeOutlandChaotic RemainsGhostfire Tunnels
wardensmallss-png.170510
wardensmallff-png.170513
midnightgladepre-png.260254
underwoodpre-png.260259
Solen's SanctuaryFae ForestMidnight GladeUnderwood
wardensmallbb-png.170508
wardensmalltt-png.170514
wardensmallmr-png.170518
crystalcavepre-png.260252
Bonechiller BurrowTropic TombPale PalaceCrystal Cave
wardensmallft-png.170512
wardensmallhf-png.170516
wardensmalldd-png.170509
shadowchasmpre-png.260256
Forest TempleHellfire FortressDark DepthsShadows Chasm

Progress:
Starglade 80%
Solen's Sanctuary 100%
Bonechiller Burrow 100%
Forest Temple 100%

Outland 0%
Fae Forest 30%
Tropic Tomb 100%
Hellfire Fortress 20%

Chaotic Remains 50%
Midnight Glade 10%
Pale Palace 10%
Dark Depths 100%

Ghostfire Tunnels 0%
Underwood 0%
Crystal Cave 0%
Shadows Chasm 10%

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Looks fantastic. Will check asap

Level 26
Looks fantastic. Will check asap
Great! Let me know if like it! :)

How do I defeat the Keeper in the Forest temple?
You make sure to dodge his projectiles, and kill the wisps coming towards him.
If they reaches him, he heals.

I added a replay of me defeating him if you want further instruction :)

Maybe I should add a tip about this so that the player does not think that the wisps deal damage and avoid them?

How do you like it so far?

Attachments

• DefeatKeeper.w3g
    8.8 KB · Views: 185
Level 10
Yeah I tried that before. I sometimes hit him like 8 times plus killing all the wisps but still wasnt able to make him fall, maybe he is too difficult? Maybe making the wisps slower would be nice because the dash ability is also not so precise to use.

Level 26
I'll look into it later today and see what I can do.
Just use whosyourdaddy to get past him for now. Turn it off right away afterwards though, as it may cause bugs.

Do you have any suggestion on how to make dash better? I have been thinking of shorter dash time and greater speed.

Level 10
Do you have any suggestion on how to make dash better? I have been thinking of shorter dash time and greater speed.

I don't really know, because sometimes a short dash and sometimes a longer dash is important.

By the way maybe you already got this idea but I once made a campaign a long time ago also like yours with a lot of puzzles and dynamic battles and I had used skills like temporarily magic immunity and invulnerability which last like 1-2 seconds to reflect skills like stormbolt, death coil etc. Maybe this can help you.

Level 26
Yeah, I have been experimenting with the dash quite a bit, and the distance it is set to now is pretty much the best I could set it to.

Thanks!
Actually before I had the "Stun" ability I had a 1 second invulnerability. But that didn't turn out in ost fights, and in some it was really awesome. That's why I added space for a fourth ability that is specific for one map. I haven't used it so far, but I probably will.

Btw, let me know if you finish the map. It would be great to hear some more feedback about it! :)

Level 14
Thanks! Hope you enjoy it! :)

I really did! Your map is a lot of fun, and really well done (only tried the forest one so far and died miserably in the middle of the game)! Its quite hard, but I like it to be challenging. To be honest, it was a surprise to me, how good your movement system works, so that it is actually fun and enhancing gameplay - because arrow key movement is often a pain in wc3 fun maps (in my opinion of course).
It like the borrowing from Zelda, because I was a great fan too and Zelda soundtrack is just a good choice in games anyway.

I really agree with the people posting here, that you should make it a campaign just for lazy people like me. There does not have to be any storyline, because its actually good, that there is none imo. It really lets you focus on gameplay, which this is all about :)

I am just wondering, is the Dash (W) ability doing something in combat, when you stand still?

(probably useless hint: Behind the treant right in the beginning, there is a pathing blocker missing, so that you can go behing the trees, isn't it?)

Best regards!

Last edited:
Level 26
Thanks for the thoughts!
I should put this entire comment as a reference for attracting more people... :)

...how good your movement system works...
Yeah, I have been experimenting and improving it for over two years. Glad to hear it is satisfactionary!

...and Zelda soundtrack is just good choice in games...
Agreed. It is awesome. I love it so much. :D

A campaign will be made eventually, with the storyline in the original post.
And yes, the story will not have major impact as your are suggesting. We have the same thinking!

Dash does not do anything while standing still. In earlier versions though, that was the way to activate the "stun" ability, but it didn't really make sense, hence the reform.

I'll fix that pathing issue. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Thanks for your comment! Make sure to leave more comments if you play the other maps aswell.

Have a nice day! :)

Level 14
Thanks for the thoughts!
I should put this entire comment as a reference for attracting more people... :)

Feel free to do so , well I just found a lot of typos after you answered my post :grin:

Dash does not do anything while standing still. In earlier versions though, that was the way to activate the "stun" ability, but it didn't really make sense, hence the reform.

Have you thought about using it as a way to block incoming dmg? Would be a nice way to improve tactical gameplay ...

Thanks for your comment! Make sure to leave more comments if you play the other maps aswell.

I will do that

Have a nice day! :)

you too :)

Level 26
Have you thought about using it as a way to block incoming dmg?
Before I had the "Stun" move, I used to have a one second invulnerability. The thing is, it becomes messy, and too strong in many fights, meaning that you didn't have to use dash.
This is why there are an extra ability slot. A block move will be available in that slot in certain maps and certain fights, not all missions.

Level 26
Well, If you mean "Finished product" like a complete campaign, that is going to take a while.
I will however perhaps release it in a campaign format once I have around 5 finished maps or something like that, or a story that somehow links together.

I'll gladly share my own signature if you want to support it! Thanks :)

JASS:
[CENTER][URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/warden-dungeon-crawler-series-276451/#post2795120"][CENTER][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Warden%20Title.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/warden-dungeon-crawler-series-276451/#post2795120"]A Dungeon Crawler Map Series[/URL][/CENTER]

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

hey man! this is really awesome! how can i miss this? :cgrin:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

well, i've been not playing any games for a long times. guess i can use this as refreshment :grin:

i test the snow map. and as a player, i really confuse. maybe this kind of game is'nt my thing -___-

your map have a really fun combat! i love the custom interface, and the smoothness of the movement system aswell. the terrain is great! though there's no fancy import stuff and you stick to wc3 style. but the details that you put is really stand out amongs of the other wc3 style map out there. i can really see that you put up a really hard work in this map.

alright, i am not quite sure about this one, but i can see a health bar anywhere. if you disable it, i think it wasn't a good idea. i thought i was invisible when i was being attacked, but it was not -___- lol (especially when the ghost attacking me)

i think you hide the mouse pointer aswell right? so it will be pure hotkeys work for the player. i---think you should show it again when player want to pause and set some option you know. i want to set up my volume when i play it to check up some music, but being the pointer can't be seen is quite problematic -__-

also it's bugged when i quit to main menu. it still hidden when i quit the map :3

the warden animation of the stun, although there's nothing really matter to fix. but when i walk after i cast it, the stand animation play (i think?) instead of walk animation. which i think is kinda awkward :3

the custom music is quite fit, i'd like it. but i think it deserves something better in the map that i play. when i enter the place inside the gate? (duh) kinda expect some dungeon eerriee music that makes me excited. since your map is single player, why not spicing it up with some good custom music that can give more excitemet to the player? i mean, just take a look at this guy map trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3R1JpbPwDo

just how awesome is that? :grin:

also, i can't beat that ghost guy -___-
i don't know how to solve it. it's kinda bugged? i don't know. so, i realize that if i stun him, my attack can have effect. i think every time that i want to attack him, i should stun him first. but then i try normal attack, the blood or the slashing effect is still up there whenever i try to attack him. but his still not dead. then i try to stun and attack him, but he just won't die. oh boy...

Level 26
your map have a really fun combat! i love the custom interface, and the smoothness of the movement system aswell. the terrain is great! though there's no fancy import stuff and you stick to wc3 style. but the details that you put is really stand out amongs of the other wc3 style map out there. i can really see that you put up a really hard work in this map.
Thanks!
Those things has been my main issues that I have indeed been working hard with.

About the Cursor:
I am aware of the current problems and have come with a half-good solution that I'm not overly fond with, but that I know is neccesary for conveniency.

I have created a custom cursor that is invisible in all its statets with an exception for its default idle state. This means, as soon as you hover a unit, move it to the edge of the screen or other actions, it will be invisible. However, while browsing the options dialog for example, it will be visible.

This is needed for a more convenient playstyle, so I probably will implement it even though I'm not the biggest fan of it.

also it's bugged when i quit to main menu. it still hidden when i quit the map
Not a bug. That is just how imported cursors work. :)

the warden animation of the stun, although there's nothing really matter to fix. but when i walk after i cast it, the stand animation play (i think?) instead of walk animation. which i think is kinda awkward
Strange. Will look into it. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

since your map is single player, why not spicing it up with some good custom music that can give more excitemet to the player?
Well I thought I did already! :D
Perhaps I'll look into some more options. :)

alright, i am not quite sure about this one, but i can see a health bar anywhere. if you disable it, i think it wasn't a good idea. i thought i was invisible when i was being attacked, but it was not -___- lol (especially when the ghost attacking me)
What healthbars are you talking about?
Are you sure you didn't just have healthbars disabled in the options menu?

also, i can't beat that ghost guy -___-
i don't know how to solve it. it's kinda bugged? i don't know. so, i realize that if i stun him, my attack can have effect. i think every time that i want to attack him, i should stun him first. but then i try normal attack, the blood or the slashing effect is still up there whenever i try to attack him. but his still not dead. then i try to stun and attack him, but he just won't die. oh boy...
Well, actually the ghosts cannot be killed. :)
Perhaps I should make that more clear.

Thanks for telling me what you think. Tell me if you have more opinions! :)

EDIT: Now I seee what you meant by the music.
I had music, although it was randomly disabled in all maps for some strange reason. I don't know why, but it does not matter since I managed to fix it.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

huh? i just realize that you delete your previous post and repost it lol. why you do that? :3

still, i really like the general ideas of the map. and making a campaign out of this quality maps sure bring me some excitement!

i will test the other map whenever i feel like playing some games in my spare time. keep up the good work!:thumbs_up:

Level 26
WEll I deleted and reposted with an edit to make sure it appeared on your notifications. :)

If you want to try the almost finished campaign, download it here.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=lowi9v
It contain the same maps as the ones that are uploaded + one introduction map.

If you can figure out why Solen's Temple won't launch from the campaign screen, I'll be forever grateful.

Btw, I fixed all the issues you pointed out in your previous post.

Level 26
-Tutorial-
In this guide you'll learn basic information about in-game controls and other useful things.
You can either read this guide or play the Introduction (download) mission.
The Introduction map is included in the campaign.

-Controls-
WardenMovement.jpg
Movement - ←↑↓→
Use the arrowkeys to move to move your character around.
WardenAttack.jpg
Attack - Q
Use attack to damage all enemies in front of you.

Attack can also be used to interact with most units and items, for example destroying barrels.

If you press Q before your character has attacked, the order will be queued and performed as soon as your character finishes the first attack.
WardenDash.jpg
Dash - W
Use while moving to swiftly move forward.

Use dash to swiftly reposition yourself or in order to avoid traps and attacks.

Dash has one second cooldown and can have two stacks.
Rapidly pressing W two times consumes both stacks and results in a long-distance dash.
WardenStun.jpg
Stun - E
Stuns all enemies around you briefly.

This ability requires 100 energy to be used.
Use stun to disable enemies that is winding up attacks or to land a few extra free attacks.

-The New User Interface-
1. Controls Dialog
Here you can view the controls in game in case you would forget what hotkey does what.

2.Character Dialog
Here you can see your current stats, your selected handicap level and turn on and off the energy bar.

3. Objectives Dialog
Here you can view what current tasks you have been assigned.

Click the numbers 1 through 5 to view an extended text of the selected objective.

4. Soul Stones
The lumber resource has been replaced with soul stones. A few soul runes are given to you in the start of each map, and more can be found hidden within.

A soul stone is consumed upon dying, causing you to ressurect and continue playing. If you run out of soulstones, the game is over.

5. Energy
Your food resource has been replaced with energy.
Energy is required to pull off certain special moves such as Stun.

You regenerate 10 energy each second.

6. Energy Bar
An secondary display of your energy bar.
Can be enabled / Disabled via the character dialog.

7. Health Bar
This displays your current health over your maximum health.
UIGuide.jpg

-Items-
There are a few items to keep track of in this game.
Items can be picked up by attacking or walking over them.

Runes.jpg
Runes:
Runes heal or empower you for a limited duration.
Runes taken from runespawners will cause another one to spawn.

WardenSoulStone.jpg
Soul Stones:
Adds another soul stone to your soul stone resource bar.

PowerUps.jpg
Enchantments:
Enchantments increases a stat for the remainder of the map.
From left to right the enchantments are: Damage, Health, Health Regeneration.

-Pathing-
Unlike a standard Warcraft III game, You can walk on top 1x1 ledges.
You can also climb ruined walls by simply moving towards them.
Ledges%20and%20Ruins.jpg
keep an eye out for places like this as they may lead you to hidden areas.

-Combat-
Use your Attack, dash and stun abilities as much and as smartly ass possible in order to get the best outcome in a fight.
Remember however that you are not the only one with special abilities.
Always pay attention to your opponent as it may have a few tricks up their sleeves.

-Death-
Upon dying you'll be ressurected, providing you have at least one soul stone.
Upon coming back to life, you'll be granted invulnerability for three seconds.
Use this time wisely in order to get out to safety and plan your next move.

Last edited:
Level 26

Warden%20Title.jpg

WardenGlueGif.jpg

Welcome to the Warden campaign!
This campaign consists of a series of short RPG maps, each with its own unique
environment and story, but all having a similiar concept and gameplay to eachother.

Find out more by reading the information below, or discuss it by visiting its official thread.

-Features-
-
Arrowkey Movement
Instead of using your sursor to move your main character around, I have developed an arrowkey movement system.
This is enchanced further by also having a dash button, allowing you to move forward with bursts of speed.

Hotkey Combat
The Dash ability is included in the hotkey combat. You attack with Q, dash with W and stun nearby enemies with E.
In some maps, you may unlock a special ability that places itself on R aswell.

To Learn more about how to play the game, click here.

Special Encounters
Thanks to the special movement and combat system, this maps can present unique enemy encounters, making it vital to
dodge, dance around and pick your moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope or the best.

Puzzles
I have made sure to include many puzzles and various obstacles in the game in order to not having to rely solely on
combat to make the game interesting. Most of the puzzles requires patience and hard thinking to figure out, while
the obstacles often require good movement and timing.
arrowKeys-300x205.png

maiev_shadowsong_by_blackfang9-d7gbrks.png
-Story-
-
Maiev Shadowsong has set off on a mission to capture Illaden, leaving the Barrow Deeps to its fate. The prison is in
bad shape after Tyrandes raid. The gates are broken, the walls crumbling, and the sentrys slaughtered. With one
exception. In the corridor leading to Illadens former prison, a lone sentry lies passed out, left for dead.

Shalis Darkhunter awakened with a gasp for air. Her vision was blurred, her head spinning. Succesfully focusing her
eyes she saw the broken gate leading to Illadens chamber. She blinked hard a few times before putting a hand to
the floor, trying to raise up. A sharp pain in her side forced her down to the floor again. She groped down her
waist, finding an arrow buried deep. Closing her eyes, she grabbed the arrow tightly and jerked it out. Exhaling
deeply, she opened her eyes again and examined the bloody arrow in her hand. Her grip tightened, making the
blood pour between her fingers.

"Tyrande..."

Slowly crawling through the dark corridors of the prison, she counted the bodies of her fallen sisters, making her
way to the healing chambers. Drinking from the healing waters of the fountain, she felt life return to her body.
A few minutes later, she was fully healed, and knew what was needed to be done. Restore the Barrow Deeps Prison,
and fill its cells with wicked creatures.

"Azeroth is filled with beings too power-hungry for the wellbeing of this world. I pledge my life to be their judge,
captor and warden."
-Shalis Darkhunter, the new Warden of the Barrow Deeps

-Finished Maps-
Below there are links to each independent map of the project.
Click the pictures to get to the respective maps thread and download link.

A non-cropped in-game picture.
The UI has been completely replaced with a black screen.
NewUIPreview.jpg

The campaign custom glue screen:
Warden%20Glue.jpg

Shalis%201.jpg

Shalis%202.jpg

Shalis%203.jpg

Shalis%204.jpg

Shalis%205.jpg
BB%201.jpg

BB%202.jpg

BB%203.jpg

BB%204.jpg
Forest%20Temple%201.jpg

Forest%20Temple%202.jpg

Forest%20Temple%203.jpg

Forest%20Temple%204.jpg
This is a section where I list nice feedback I recieve from players.

"Man, was I pleased to try this out! This is a true breath of fresh air in Warcraft." -SpasMaster
"This is a very refined mod. It has all the aspects working together like a symphony of precision and simplicity." -Legal_Ease
"A challenging and innovative game." -Ardenian
"Overall, this campaign is fantastic..." -Shadow Fury
"Excellent idea, storyline and music choice." -Mgeterno11
"Your map is a lot of fun, and really well done!" -Emm-A-
"The terrain and scenery looks absolutely amazing." -Remixer
"This map has plenty of very neat editor tricks for creating interesting terrain." -Kino
"I love the custom interface, and the smoothness of the movement system aswell." -Wisdom
"The systems, the narration, the puzzles the mood, and the gameplay are on point." -Wareditor
"I enjoyed it very much. Controls are easy. Terrain, musics and the atmosphere is really appealing." -Victarion
"Maps were very visualy appealing and the gameplay part of the map design was deep." -JesusHipster

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Warden%20Title.jpg[/IMG]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/m2pkh5/WardenGlueGif.jpg[/IMG][/Table][SIZE="3"]_____________________________________________________________[/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE="6"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Welcome to the Warden campaign![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
This campaign consists of a series of short RPG maps, each with its own unique
environment and story, but all having a similiar concept and gameplay to eachother.
In the future, I hope to finish a main quest to tie the currently independent maps together.

Find out more by reading the information below, or discuss it by visiting its [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/warden-dungeon-crawler-series-276451/"]official thread[/URL].
[SIZE="3"]_____________________________________________________________[/SIZE]
[Keepspace]

[/Keepspace]
[stable]
[CENTER][SIZE="6"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Features-[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
[Box="-"][B][SIZE="3"]Arrowkey Movement[/SIZE][/B]
Instead of using your sursor to move your main character around, I have developed an arrowkey movement system.
This is enchanced further by also having a dash button, allowing you to move forward with bursts of speed.

[B][SIZE="3"]Hotkey Combat[/SIZE][/B]
The Dash ability is included in the hotkey combat. You attack with Q, dash with W and stun nearby enemies with E.
In some maps, you may unlock a special ability that places itself on R aswell.

To Learn more about how to play the game, [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2803051-post30.html"]click here[/URL].

[B][SIZE="3"]Special Encounters[/SIZE][/B]
Thanks to the special movement and combat system, this maps can present unique enemy encounters, making it vital to
dodge, dance around and pick your moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope or the best.

[B][SIZE="3"]Puzzles[/SIZE][/B]
I have made sure to include many puzzles and various obstacles in the game in order to not having to rely solely on
combat to make the game interesting. Most of the puzzles requires patience and hard thinking to figure out, while
the obstacles often require good movement and timing.
[/Box][c][IMG]http://www.101computing.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/arrowKeys-300x205.png[/IMG][/CENTER][/Stable]

[CENTER][stable][IMG]http://t01.deviantart.net/CNKQ5COAGN6cA8rDAsIbzDmmM-w=/fit-in/300x900/filters:no_upscale():origin()/pre01/63ca/th/pre/f/2014/118/0/e/maiev_shadowsong_by_blackfang9-d7gbrks.png[/IMG][c][CENTER][COLOR="SeaGreen"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Story-[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][box="-"]Maiev Shadowsong has set off on a mission to capture Illaden, leaving the Barrow Deeps to its fate. The prison is in
bad shape after Tyrandes raid. The gates are broken, the walls crumbling, and the sentrys slaughtered. With one
exception. In the corridor leading to Illadens former prison, a lone sentry lies passed out, left for dead.

Shalis Darkhunter awakened with a gasp for air. Her vision was blurred, her head spinning. Succesfully focusing her
eyes she saw the broken gate leading to Illadens chamber. She blinked hard a few times before putting a hand to
the floor, trying to raise up. A sharp pain in her side forced her down to the floor again. She groped down her
waist, finding an arrow buried deep. Closing her eyes, she grabbed the arrow tightly and jerked it out. Exhaling
deeply, she opened her eyes again and examined the bloody arrow in her hand. Her grip tightened, making the
blood pour between her fingers.

"Tyrande..."

Slowly crawling through the dark corridors of the prison, she counted the bodies of her fallen sisters, making her
way to the healing chambers. Drinking from the healing waters of the fountain, she felt life return to her body.
A few minutes later, she was fully healed, and knew what was needed to be done. Restore the Barrow Deeps Prison,
and fill its cells with wicked creatures.

"Azeroth is filled with beings too power-hungry for the wellbeing of this world. I pledge my life to be their judge,
captor and warden."[Indent][B]-Shalis Darkhunter, the new Warden of the Barrow Deeps[/B][/indent][/box][/Stable]

[stable][CENTER][COLOR="SeaGreen"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Idea-[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][box="-"]Zelda - Ocarina of Time is one of the first games I've ever played and it served as a big inspiration for this project.
I have tried to take their elements in aspect of puzzles, obstacles and bosses, and tried to make it fit in
the warcraft universe. This is what it became.

The idea behind this project was to create something unique, rarely seen in Warcraft. As a base I used the arrowkey
movement system I created a long time ago and created a map around it. I then was inspired by Zelda and tried to
replicate their combat system. Instead of the standard wc3 "right-click and watch if it goes well" style, I added an
ability for attacking and a dash ability for kiting, both activated solely by hotkeys.

Then I removed the standard wc3 UI which allows the player to see slightly more of the terrain at the same time,
which I think created a good feeling. Here I also made a lot of clean-up in the map interface. I used blank BLP
pictures to remove all little buttons, texts and icons in the console and imported Black icons to remove ability
icons. I even installed a sound to get rid of that tiny click noise you can hear hen clicking an icon in-game. Everything
in order to remove the standard wc3 preferences.

Later, I decided to remove the cursor from the game completely in order to move the players hand down to the
keyboard, which also contributes to a non-wc3 feeling.[/box]
[c][IMG]http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/link_3.png[/IMG][/Stable]

[stable][IMG]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/552dfd7ee4b036b38b3e6724/t/55305f1fe4b067f96ef519c6/1429233444033/[/IMG][c][CENTER][COLOR="SeaGreen"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Project Insights-[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][box="-"]Warden is a project that I have been working on for the past couple of weeks, while the idea of the project
itself has been concieved over a looong time. Ever since I made Tomb Raider, a map where I first tried the
custom combat system that now is part of this project, I wanted to make a campaign out of this concept. I have
put similiar maps on ice many times due to lack of ideas or energy.

My former projects wasn't finished due to one main reason: I thought too big too soon. In my other project I
started with a 256x256 map thinking: "TONIGHT, WE CREATE!". And yes, that night I worked a lot. The next night,
a little less. And so it goes on until the project is dead.

In this project I tried to think around that. I have made a first scratch of a campaign layout that I am satisfied
with. I also made the project consist of many small maps with the idea of leaving a few finished maps instead
of one or two unplayable, half-finished ones when the project eventually die.

Therefore, before creating this thread I made sure to have a map finished already. And, when I finished that, I
created one more. Just because. And then yet another one.
You can download and play those first maps of this project by clicking the pictures at the end of this post.[/box][/Stable]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Finished Maps-[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Below there are links to each independent map of the project.
Click the pictures to get to the respective maps thread and download link.

[table][URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warden-solens-temple-275407/?prev=status%3Dp"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/30/maps_29236_preview.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warden-bonechiller-burrow-275697/"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/30/maps_29253_preview.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warden-forest-temple-276450/"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/30/maps_29277_preview.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warden-dark-depths-1-0-a-279100/"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/30/maps_29381_preview.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER][/Table]

[CENTER][table][Hidden="Campaign Concept"][table][COLOR="Orange"]Campaign Concept[/COLOR]
-There will be a main-quest with 10 missions.
-After each mission, one or two submaps will be opened up.
-The submaps will be vital to clear in order to make it in the next main quest map.

For now, I will keep creating single maps of the same concept.
If the project gets enough attention from the community, I will start creating the Warden campaign, with the finished maps as sidequests to a larger main quest.

Below you can find a first draft of what each chapter of the main quest will be about.
[COLOR="Red"]Contains major spoilers![/COLOR]
[Hidden="From Ashes Reborn"]Shalis restores small parts of the Barrow Deeps prison.[/Hidden][Hidden="Defense of Smallville"]Shalis sets off to defend a village from bandit raids. The village was supposed to be under the protection of a Paladin, who has done nothing to help.[/Hidden][Hidden="The Hollow Paladin"]Shalis sets off after the Paladin that failed his task, learning that he was forced to leave the village to their fate. Admitting he is a coward he accepts his imprisonment.[/Hidden][Hidden="City of Puppets"]Shalis learns from the paladin that an archmage of the city Daggmaskius was the one who prevented him from doing anything. She travels to the city to find out that the hostile towns-people is acting strange: they are not being themselves. Shalis finds the archmage and reveals that he is in truth a dreadlord with the mastery of mind-control. He plans to release a chaos storm upon Azeroth. Shalis stops him before he finishes the spell, but the dreadlord slips away.[/Hidden][Hidden="Ravaged Remains"]The dreadlords spell has hit the city of Daggmaskius. In the dreadlords abscence, the mind-control of the townsfolk is lifted, and they start fighting the spawns of chaos in their city. Shalis captures one of the demon generals, who reveal the location of the drealords Citadel in the outland.[/Hidden][Hidden="Into the Fire"]Shalis picks up on the trail of the Dreadlord, entering his citadel. Upon finding him, she realizes she has walked into a trap. A strong mind-control spell locks her body and flinges her mind into oblivion.[/Hidden][Hidden="Nightmare Retribution"]Realizing that if she dies in this dream, her mind will obey the dreadlord for all eternity. She finds the representative of the dreadlord in the dream and defeats him, breaking the spell. Back in the citadel, she traps the Dreadlord, and brings him back to the Barrow Deeps.[/Hidden][Hidden="The Master of Shadows"]Without Shalis knowledge, the dreadlord has planted a seed of an idea in her brain. Shalis is convinced to search for the Master of shadows hoping to imprison him aswell. The master of Shadows is slippery, and will not be caught, but rewards Shalis with the secret of shadows. With the secret, she is able to turn her watchers into obedient shadows of themselves.[/Hidden][Hidden="Desperate Munity"]One of the watchers understand what Shalis mean to do, and warn her sisters in the Barrow Deeps. they lock the gates and increases the security to maximum in order to keep the Warden out. Shalis need to reach the fountain of health in order to work the shadowspell, and does so succesfully by cutting through her own watchers. The watchers are reborn as shadows. renaming her faction to the Shadow Spawns, Shalis goes on a crusade to gain influence by killing Tyrande and anyone standing in her way.[/Hidden][Hidden="Cleansed Heart"]Shalis enter Darnassus and kills anyone in her way, searching for Tyrande. As she reaches the priestess and is about to deal the killing blow, Elune intervenes, cleansing Shalis heart of the darkness. Shalis dies.[/Hidden][/Table][/Hidden][Hidden="Screenshots"][Hidden="Misc"]A non-cropped in-game picture.
The UI has been completely replaced with a black screen.
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/NewUIPreview.jpg[/IMG]
The campaign custom glue screen:
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Warden%20Glue.jpg[/IMG]
[/Hidden][Hidden="Solen's Temple"][table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Shalis%201.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Shalis%202.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Shalis%203.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Shalis%204.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Shalis%205.jpg[/IMG][/Table]
[/Hidden][Hidden="Bonechiller Burrow"][table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/BB%201.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/BB%202.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/BB%203.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/BB%204.jpg[/IMG][/Table][/Hidden][Hidden="Forest Temple"][table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Forest%20Temple%201.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Forest%20Temple%202.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Forest%20Temple%203.jpg[/IMG][/Table]

[table][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/b33gdd/Forest%20Temple%204.jpg[/IMG][/Table][/Hidden][/Hidden][Hidden="Comments"]This is a section where I list nice feedback I recieve from players.

[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2813907-post31.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "Man, was I pleased to try this out! This is a true breath of fresh air in Warcraft." [B]-SpasMaster[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2808265-post12.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "This is a very refined mod. It has all the aspects working together like a symphony of precision and simplicity." [B]-Legal_Ease[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warden-solens-sanctuary-275407/"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "A challenging and innovative game." [B]-Ardenian[/B]
[URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2826673-post27.html][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "Overall, this campaign is fantastic..." [B]-Shadow Fury[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2807959-post17.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "Excellent idea, storyline and music choice." [B]-Mgeterno11[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2796943-post17.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "Your map is a lot of fun, and really well done!" [B]-Emm-A-[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2784437-post3.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "The terrain and scenery looks absolutely amazing." [B]-Remixer[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2788287-post3.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "This map has plenty of very neat editor tricks for creating interesting terrain." [B]-Kino[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2801162-post26.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "I love the custom interface, and the smoothness of the movement system aswell." [B]-Wisdom[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2799105-post30.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "The systems, the narration, the puzzles the mood, and the gameplay are on point." [B]-Wareditor[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2808366-post19.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "I enjoyed it very much. Controls are easy. Terrain, musics and the atmosphere is really appealing." [B]-Victarion[/B]
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2805012-post9.html"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_custom/style_wc3s/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL] "Maps were very visualy appealing and the gameplay part of the map design was deep." [B]-JesusHipster[/B]
[/Hidden][Hidden="Credits"]Images:
Warden Description Picture 1 - "The Warden" by themimig
Warden Description Picture 2 - "Maiev Shadowsong" by Blackfang9

Map Preview Pictures:
DRSpaceman, embodiedfate, [url]www.worldwildlife.org[/url]

Music:
[COLOR="Silver"]Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
[SIZE="1"]Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
[url]http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]
"Volatile Reaction"
"Dreams Become Real"
"Air Prelude"

[COLOR="Silver"]Nintendos Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time[/COLOR]
"Forest Temple"
"Lost Woods"[/Hidden][/CENTER][/Table]

[CENTER][table][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Got stuck?
Check the [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2810743-post56.html"]walkthrough[/URL].[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/CENTER][/Table][/CENTER]
[Keepspace]

[/Keepspace]

Last edited:
Level 26
Strange...
Does it go black for a few seconds as it is about to launch but then go back to campaign screen?

EDIT: I also tested myself, but was unable to make the bug appear. :/
I don't know if there is something I can do to resolve this, but if you know what happened, please tell me! :)

Last edited:
Level 14
Strange...
Does it go black for a few seconds as it is about to launch but then go back to campaign screen?

EDIT: I also tested myself, but was unable to make the bug appear. :/
I don't know if there is something I can do to resolve this, but if you know what happened, please tell me! :)

It does exactly what you described. :) Dont worry too much if there is no one else complaining about this :)

Level 26
Very strange indeed.
I had the same problem with Solen's Sanctuary just before I uploaded it in the campaign.
The reason for this bug is because specific maps in a campaign can not have an internal imported data bank that exceeds 8 mb. However, forest Temple soes not go over this limit, and I do not have the problem.

Well, I'll take your advice and wait until someone else mention it, and see if it is a returning problem. :)

Level 26
-Credits-

Models:
Warden Model - JesusHipster (assisted by PROXY)

Description Pictures:
Warden Description Picture: Maiev Shadowsong - Blackfang9

Map Preview Pictures:
Solen's Sanctuary: Vue Desert Scene - DRSpaceman
Bonechiller Burrow: Soldiers in the icy mountain - embodiedfate
Forest Temple: Forest - worldwildlife
Dark Depths: Dark Mine - LandscapeRunner
Music:
Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0

"Volatile Reaction"
"Dreams Become Real"
"Air Prelude"
"Earth Prelude"

Nintendos Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
"Forest Temple"
"Lost Woods"
"Boss Fight"
"Inside The Deku Tree"

Note: All other materials that is not credited here is either blizzards material or made by me myself.

Last edited:
Level 14
I am still waiting to finish Bonechiller to post my full review on the campaign thread, but before you update Bonechiller I will just tell you the bugs and weird things I found in Forest Temple :

-The last part (the spikes "maze) before the boss change your vision which is normal but in never reseted back to normal after completing it (the third lever actually put it back to normal if I remember right). I don't know if it was intended but fighting the boss with rotated vision was really hard. I would suggest reseting the camera back to normal when the player leaves the room and applying back the rotation when he reenters. Because going back to the temple after having your vision rotated (which is common as you spawn next to the door) reveals some "behind the scenes" stuff;
-Owls don't meet in the middle after a while (usually at the second passage). Thus making it impossible to cross this part without dying or loosing a ton of life. If you didn't know, All regular patrol desync (sometimes a unit will go from A to B faster, sometimes slower). You have to use a custom system to ensure a patrol behave as wanted. I can provide you with a vJass library made by myself that can fix this easily;
-The mini boss spam (4 or more times) their unique phrase. I suggest you to make them say it only once or add more phrases to their registers;
-All the creatures in the main temple room (the one with the Cenarius statue), are actually completely skippable and never agro if you don't come really close to them. You should put them in front of the gates maybe.

Level 26
-The last part (the spikes "maze) before the boss change your vision which is normal but in never reseted back to normal after completing it (the third lever actually put it back to normal if I remember right). I don't know if it was intended but fighting the boss with rotated vision was really hard. I would suggest reseting the camera back to normal when the player leaves the room and applying back the rotation when he reenters. Because going back to the temple after having your vision rotated (which is common as you spawn next to the door) reveals some "behind the scenes" stuff;
Oh... Strange. I have had a lot of trouble with this... It should be an easy fix though. I get to it right away!
-All the creatures in the main temple room (the one with the Cenarius statue), are actually completely skippable and never agro if you don't come really close to them. You should put them in front of the gates maybe.
I'll come up with something! :)
-The mini boss spam (4 or more times) their unique phrase. I suggest you to make them say it only once or add more phrases to their registers
This should be easily fixed. Might add a few extra phrases while I'm at it.
Owls don't meet in the middle after a while (usually at the second passage). Thus making it impossible to cross this part without dying or loosing a ton of life. If you didn't know, All regular patrol desync (sometimes a unit will go from A to B faster, sometimes slower). You have to use a custom system to ensure a patrol behave as wanted. I can provide you with a vJass library made by myself that can fix this easily
I didn't know that, and yes. Please do! I'm not sure I'll use it though, since I have 0 experience with vJass... :D

Also, Bonechiller Burrow is now updated! :)
I couldn't reproduce the elevator bug, but I changed a few things in the triggers, and I think it should have been solved.
When it failed for you, did you just come up from the fortress or where you headingg back down?

Level 14
For now, add max rotation speed to the owls (3.0), it's a good fix (but not perfect). I will contact you later with something you can use easily.

It failed when I came up from the fortress. Also when the elevator was going up it went trough the Warden Model (visually).

Level 26
Ok, Thanks.
Think It should have been fixed, but I cannot be sure as I couldn't reproduce the bug myself.
About the elevator going through the warden. This is something strange with having a unit with 0 movement speed... There is a fix for it, But I haven't been able to do it without lag yet. Will try a little more tonight.

Say, are you interested in trying out the beta version of my WIP map? :)

EDIT: Already set the owls to max turn speed. :/

Level 14
Say, are you interested in trying out the beta version of my WIP map? :)

Yes, of course ! Contact me by PM for that :)

EDIT: Already set the owls to max turn speed. :/

Must be their low movement speed then. You need to use my system then. Though we need to discuss it in details so I can adapt it to your map. I will tell you all you need to know and tell me in a PM.

Level 26
Nice. I have a few more things to fix before the WIP is fully playable, but it will surely have plenty of bugs and abuses, especially with the new ability I implemented.

I have an alternative idea for owls movement containing region and repeating orders, which would be the simpliest way possible and should work fine, but let's see what you have first.

Level 3
I wanted to post a feedback here after playing the campaign. First of all i already gave your map a 5/5 in the map section. So bugs and suggestions I made here is purely because I want you to improve and polish this lovely map :)

Only major bug I encountered was in Side Quest 2: Bonechiller Burrow. After taking the elevator to the rooftop (where you hear the chanting) I couldn't leave the elevator. Waited a couple of minutes and run every direction but it was impassable, so I couldn't end the level.

Some of the traps were kinda annoying. For example, the room with the ghosts circling around a stone block. There are many obstacle around so it's easy to dash into them and die, since ghosts are pretty fast. Also the frost traps. After they seem to disappear and you can still get damaged. (Probably because animation lingers a while after frost seems to disappear?)

Rune puzzle was pretty good. So is the one with 9 circles. Overall best parts of the campaign were the puzzles. I'd love to play more of them :)

A small thing: A footman attacks you immediately when you enter through the first rune gate. (I played on normal but this might be frustrating if you play on a harder difficulty and die to him.)

Lastly there were some typos I took note during the playtrough so there's a list below if you want to correct them. Overall it was very enjoyable, hope to play all the chapters :)

Tutorial Loading Screen:
"succesfully" should be "successfully"
"Wardens" > "Warden's" if i am not mistaken

The Storytelling cinematic after the tutorial:
"Illaden" I assume it was about "Illidan" ?
"Tyrandes" > "Tyrande's"
"Illadens" > "Illidan's"
another "succesfully" > "successfully"
she would "estore" > she would "restore"

Side Quest 1:
"prescence" > "presence"

Level 26
Only major bug I encountered was in Side Quest 2: Bonechiller Burrow. After taking the elevator to the rooftop (where you hear the chanting) I couldn't leave the elevator. Waited a couple of minutes and run every direction but it was impassable, so I couldn't end the level.
This is so strange!
You are the second person to tell me this, but still I haven't been able to see the bug myself. I need to do some deeper digging here. When did you download it? I made one update that might have fixed it two days ago.

Some of the traps were kinda annoying. For example, the room with the ghosts circling around a stone block. There are many obstacle around so it's easy to dash into them and die, since ghosts are pretty fast. Also the frost traps. After they seem to disappear and you can still get damaged. (Probably because animation lingers a while after frost seems to disappear?)
I'll make the ghosts move slightly slower, and also make them more merciful in terms of damage.
Ok, frost traps need a bit of a fix.

Rune puzzle was pretty good. So is the one with 9 circles. Overall best parts of the campaign were the puzzles. I'd love to play more of them :)
Glad to hear it! This is what I focus on! :)

A small thing: A footman attacks you immediately when you enter through the first rune gate. (I played on normal but this might be frustrating if you play on a harder difficulty and die to him.)
Done. I have been thinking of this myself, just forgot to change it. :)

Lastly there were some typos I took note during the playtrough so there's a list below if you want to correct them. Overall it was very enjoyable, hope to play all the chapters :)
Thanks for that!
I am not a native speaker, and I always strive to improve my english. This helps a lot! Thanks!

Level 3
This is so strange!
You are the second person to tell me this, but still I haven't been able to see the bug myself. I need to do some deeper digging here. When did you download it? I made one update that might have fixed it two days ago.

I downloaded it today. I don't think I was doing something weird. I might be moving/dashing in the elevator. Maybe it's linked to it.

Thanks for that!
I am not a native speaker, and I always strive to improve my english. This helps a lot! Thanks!

Your English is much better than mine. Storytelling and instructions sound like they were written by a native speaker. Typos are normal for everyone. You're welcome. Glad I could help! :)

Level 26
I have an idea of adding walkthroughs on all available maps.
This will make it easier for players who get stuck to see what they need to do without having to leave a post here or message me about it. That also mean that they don't have to wait for my answer wich might be really frustrating when you just want to play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.