• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite my previous determination that this movie is going to fail, it proved me wrong. I loved those little references, characters, story build-up. Finally the movie felt too short, it deserved atleast 4 hours to fully explain and emerge itself into the vast lore of this World. And that was the reason, it didn't quite explain anything to new people who didn't play games or read the books. That's why It came to a conclusion that it lacked introduction, many people hardly understood the lore behind why should they care about Orcs or Humans. Why is the Orc world dying? Who are these characters?

The bad ratings were because people weren't introduced to this franchise, the movie ended on a short notice without any conclusion. We know what happens next, but they don't.

Overall, I give it 10/10

Level 39
I'm just gonna copy-and-paste what I wrote in my model thread:

Honestly, I found it to be a solid film. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little dissapointed.

The separate canon was a tough pill to swallow. I get that they're trying to make their version of the MCU, and I wouldn't really have an issue with changes if they improved the storyline or pacing. But the problem is I don't really think they did. In some areas they actually worked against the plot and character development,
Medivh not aging Khadgar is an example of a huge change from the books, one which will have a major impact on his character. Also he was the heir to Karazhan or something like that? That part just served to make his storyline more complicated than it needed to, instead of streamlining it for a casual audience.

The Dwarves and Elves already being in the Alliance (the fact that there even is one) takes away from the plot of the Second War and the creation of the Alliance. If they even plan on doing that. I don't really get why they did this either. We didn't even see the Elves or Dwarves doing anything. The dwarves were there to introduce a gun (which got used way too much for my taste) and we only saw the Elves in one scene. They might as well not be in there.

Lothar and Son plot was soapy and unnecessary. Also Lothar was portrayed very differently from his book counterpart. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he was kind of a dick.

Thing that pissed me off the most though was their portrayal of Orgrim Doomhammer. Not even mentioning that they made him a Frostwolf (this takes a lot of meaning away from his friendship with Durotan, and how unheard of it was among the orcs) but they make him a fucking traitor? That's just not the Doomhammer we know. His character in general was completely wasted in this movie. I thought they would at least give him his moment against Gul'dan or Blackhand for redemption, but no dice.
It seems to me that alot of the changes were made just to make changes, which in my opinion is a bad practice. A lot of the areas were the film fell short, the source material got right.
There were a few changes I actually liked though.
Gul'dan reviving a stillborn Thrall was a really cool twist, and also a great explanation of why he is green in the new canon. It also set a great tone for the rest of the movie. I loved that.

The scene where they go through the portal was so awesome. Amazingly well made in my opinion.

I liked Llane having Garona stab him to save her, very nice twist. Even though it changes her whole character and her motivations, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I enjoyed how they gave Blackhand a little character instead of just making him a generic bad guy. But him going out like a bitch against Lothar was bullshit.

I would've liked Durotans death if not for the fact that he died for nothing. They set it up like this huge sacrifice that would open his peoples eyes. But it didn't. They might have compained a bit, but when the credits rolled they were still following Gul'dan. There was no payoff. Wasted opportunity for an otherwise well made and emotional death.

It did do a lot of things right, most notably the orcs. They were pretty amazing. Durotan was by far the best character in the movie. Garona was quite interesting, but I think she stood out too much compared to the normal orcs.
I definately think it was a mistake for the movie to focus primarily on the humans, and it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks so. As far as I've seen, even casuals were more interested in the orcs.
It was quite funny in some areas (Murloc!!) but the dialogue also felt incredibly cheesy in many areas, mostly among the humans. Amazing how the orcs seemed to have better acting than the humans.

All in all, it was decent film that suffers from some occasional cheesy dialogue and weird pacing, but has amazing visuals and interesting characters. As a long time fan of Warcraft lore though, I was put off by the huge amount of changes they made to the lore, most of which seemed unnecessary and didn't really further the plot.

One thing is for sure, it does not deserve the overwhelming hate it gets from critics. It was just as good as, if not better than, any of the MCU movies I've seen. I hope we'll get a Director's Cut with the missing 40 minutes that were allegedly cut. That's a fucking lot. I'm willing to bet that it changes pacing completely.

TL;DR Good film, but no masterpiece. I don't agree that it's a 10/10 but neither do I agree with critics hating on it. Personally, I'd put it at about 7/10.

Level 39
Hmm, only 24 millions during the first week in the US? Seems like americans don't like Warcraft... compared to the 280 millions that the movie already made internationally...

I blame the overwhelmingly bad reviews the critics have given it. I really don't get why it's getting all this hate.

It's breaking records in China though. That alone gives me hope for a sequel.

Last edited:
To be honest, I would rather see Warcraft as a GoT style series... I could imagine this working much better, since the story is just too much to fit into 2 hour movies.

I think part of the reason why Warcraft isn't successful in the US is because the fantasy genre (especially high fantasy) doesn't do all that well there in general.

Also, even with 24 millions in the first week, Warcraft already did a lot better domestically than most of the superhero movies released over the last year. And god knows why we keep getting more of these, even if everyone is sick of them.

I blame the overwhelmingly bad reviews the critics have given it. I really don't get why it's getting all this hate.

It's breaking records in China though. That alone gives me hope for a sequel.

No wonder Blizzard is giving so much attention to china community. First 1.27 patch announcement specifically made for Warcraft 3 community in China and the new platform. Gotta say, it's your own fault US playerbase.

I'm thankful that yet again China is going to save this movie for another sequel.

They changed the whole lore in the movie. :/

The lore was adapted into a movie, most of changes were well developed. Warcraft 1 barely had any lore to it, it was a very simplistic Warhammer copy during early lore. Most of lore was established in the later games. Simply put, Warcraft 1 was full of plot holes that were yet-to be established. Certain parts had to be reconnected for the sake of realism and character development, others had to be changed for movie adaptations. Regardless, the lore was approved by Blizzard Entertainment and it is not considered canon.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Last edited:
Level 25
Seen the movie, really worth watching! It's really entertaining but it's not perfect. It got some flaws and could really use more but it's really great. So here's my review.

As said, the movie was fine. I'd probably rate it 7/10.

The movie pretty much have flaws, mainly pacing. It felt too crammed, that's understandable but that doesn't stop them from doing better about it. There's also problems with the characters. The portrayal felt fine but lacking character, though characters like Durotan, Lothar, Khadgar, Gul'dan and to some extent Garona are a bit more fleshed out. Characters like Llane, Doomhammer(while lacking, he's still one of the most epic characters), Medivh and probably Blackhand could use more.

CGI is the best part of the movie. Durotan, Gul'dan, Draka and all the other orcs really felt realistic enough. About the human parts, choreography actually feels weak compared to the orc ones but it's fine I guess.

The plot also got problems, sometimes it gets a little messy but for a movie it's okay. The pace really affected some of it and some parts just feels really quick. I also liked how they added some gags for the lulz but doesn't get out of hand, I hope the same could be said about the romantic parts but at least they're not too long. I didn't quite like that they added Alodi instead of Aegwynn. I mean it won't change anything and would actually be better. Also, the movie also added some sadder parts just right(Callan's death and Lothar begging for Medivh to turn down his spell, Llane, Durotan and also Draka's death etc.). Overall the plot is kinda average.

It's really worth watching if you're a fan of the lore or the games, I'm not sure about otherwise. Can't wait for a sequel and maybe a Thrall movie based on Lord of the Clans? I really hope it'll do better in the sequel/s. That's all for me.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
In fact, there are already official kinda musical parts in the Warcraft Universe :

As for a live musical, well... let us hope it would be much better than this one :

:ogre_hurrhurr:

Plus, like orcs, they are green and bear weapons

Last edited:
Level 9
Alright i just have seen the movie, and ill say it short about current situation
70% of critics (i bet) had no clue about the story and simply gave 1/10, that was enough to turn off me (warcraft fan) at first impression, and probaly did most of people, making the profit in america so low.
The movie was not a masterpiece but still enjoyable, i give it 7.5/10

Couldn't abstain from giving it a review. Too bad IMDb has a 1,000 word limit.

Here is what happens in the reviewing section: we have two factions (no pun intended with the Horde and the Alliance, but why not) of opinionated viewers, die-hard fans who have played WarCraft, and unrelated audience who were drawn because of the heavy advertising.

I belong to the first faction, yet I will try to be as objective as possible. Before my review, I want to mention that the argument of "You have not played the game, thus you are not entitled to an opinion" is terse at best. Blizzard, as we all know, is a video gaming company and they have spread their wings to film-making as well; why not, given that the cinematic trailers of their games are AAA quality. Although I feel compelled to actually use the previous argument against someone saying "it was a very mediocre movie", I am at the same time overwhelmed with rationality: Why do you have to be familiar with the game, in order to appreciate this movie?

Blizzard's responsibility, after having decided to take a stout venture in producing an actual film adaptation, was to immerse viewers in a world they have so elegantly and meticulously created. As with other movies, we do not need background story to acquaint ourselves with the movie's plot. That said, they should have found ways, given the abundance in narrative techniques, to bring naive viewers to a similar level of cognizance. Failure to do so implies that the narrative was mismanaged. I concede, the written story was far more inspiring than its audiovisual counterpart.

One of the first things you witness as a player in WarCraft is the insatiable loathing of humans against the orcs and vice versa. This part felt extremely rushed and undefined in the movie. The pace was so prematurely overtaken by the wicked and demigod Gul'dan, that before you know that humans are natural enemies of the orcs, you get to see them forming an alliance. This movie was destined to be an introduction to this universe - and it should intrinsically entail demonstration of races occupying the world, their relationship and some cultural idiosyncrasies. The narration could have been embellished with a voice actor (the actual game has many good ones to date), while a crow was navigating through the settlements, which would foreshadow the appearance of Medivh (something that we, as fans, would originally spot).

It was pretty clear that humans thought of orcs being beastly, but we got to see a very emotional Durotan which inadvertently coalesced into a humane version of an orc - yet he was still mistreated by the humans with reluctance. I might suggest that the conspicuous humanity is linked to the World of Warcraft game (my arguments concomitantly enter this realm), where players can also create orcs and thus identify with them. However, I am not sure if they should assemble human-like traits; if the director and/or writer wanted to instill empathy to the viewer, they could have achieved it by giving focus on the iniquitousness of the imminent events, not by turning naturally brutal warriors into weaklings. It is not explained why orcs, who grow in a society of the same standards, and are bound to obey their authoritative commanders like sheep, have such a deviating behavior. Thus, the fight taking place in the end, between Durotan and Gul'dan, was admittedly belated, for a sadistic and forcible ruler like Gul'dan.

Additionally, the voice overs were a huge disappointment. The voices of the orcs were very distorted and by no means reflecting the typical voices in the game. The game voices were much easier to understand and they did not sound like their pitch was exaggeratedly decreased by 20dB. They had a natural husky and roaring tone.

As for the acting, I did find it to be weak. It was Hollywood acting (and yes, this is derogatory): exaggerated facial expressions, overly dramatic tone with slow head motion, know-it-all attitude and shocking bravery (because let us recycle the stereotype that men are fearless). The actor who played Medivh felt completely out of place. His body- type would fit a barbarian or a warrior more than a wizard (we all know how wizards appear skinny or under-built in video games). Plus, I dare wonder, why did they choose a blond actor? I have not seen any depiction of the character with blond hair. Finally, Medivh looked more oblivious in the movie than a mysterious wizard (something that was easily pulled off by Dumbledore in Harry Potter, for example). It partially makes sense, as he was corrupted from within but the viewer was let known at a later stage, as a plot twist. It does not, however, give justice to the incarnation of the character on the big screen.

I will cast aside the fact that I have played the game. As a movie, it was entertaining, but it was not what I had envisioned. The only commendable part for me, the potential source of its entertaining value, was the CGI. I could never get enough of the spell-casting. Gul'dan was perfectly portrayed, very intimidating and demonic. I am also glad that certain "eggs" lied there for the fans: e.g. a Murloc standing in the middle of the river or Draenei used as prisoners. However, this is the problem; someone who is not familiar with the game will not discern and decipher these details. These exact details are what constitute this universe and make it so unique. Draenei, Elves, Dwarves and other races made appearance, so that the viewer takes a glimpse of the forthcoming story in the sequel, but they are all redundant when they are not given enough focus. Plus, the assemblage of different races to make decisions on their role in the war, did ring a huge Lord of the Rings bell. However, Lord of the Rings achieved a better reconstruction, because racial conflicts were uncovered throughout. Warcraft's assemblage, on the other hand, was very generic, purposeless, and lasted what, one minute?
I am not sure how naive viewers are expected to keep up and appreciate the glory, imagery and richness of this world, when they are bombarded with visual stimuli of little importance. Indeed, many critics have -provocatively to the fans, but not necessarily wrongfully- mentioned that all the backstory appears to be too generic; one has actually proposed a renaming of Azeroth to "Generia". My heart crumbled in view of this statement and in realization of its validity.

In my opinion, the movie did not feel like the game. I have seen others stating that they had tears in their eyes because of the consistent resemblance to the game. Unfortunately, I did not have this feeling with respect to the nostalgia - it did not even manage to echo the magnificence of the game's cinematic trailers or even the in-game cut-scenes. Taking an example from WarCraft III (should still be representative of its predecessors), you would hear Maiev say "There's no telling what Gul'dan and his lackeys awoke in this foul place. We must be cautious." or Drak'Thul "Nearly twenty years ago, the great warlock Gul'dan raised these islands from the deeps. He sought to unearth an ancient vault that held the remains of the Dark Titan." and these simple sentences are powerful enough to make you succumb into unsolicited visual imagery. You want to know more about what they are saying, what they know and what they imply - they are enigmatic. The lines of the movie were vague and generic. There was no mystery, just some very powerful wizard, who is able to invoke walls of lightning for a surprisingly and unprecedentedly long time, yet he was unable to resist the Fel.

We also see Anduin Lothar ride a gryphon. Why was this creature objectified like a generic rideable animal - it makes little sense to see plentiful content without an explanation, as many critics pointed out. One of them stated that it felt like certain scenes were cut or never shot. Indeed, the transition between the scenes was so abrupt, that I had a second-hand embarrassment on behalf of the production team. Non-fans can surely understand that fantasy encompasses cliche creature design, inevitably recycled across fictional worlds. My point is, they lack character - everything in WarCraft has been given a meaning, yet the film only dismantled their visual depiction and not their importance of a role in this universe. What is going to happen when dragons are introduced? Naive viewers will automatically compare them to the most memorable, in recent memory, equivalents: dragons from Game of Thrones. Will WarCraft dragons stand a chance against the belittling of such a comparison?

My review is negative - I get it. This, however does not come from ostensible spite or ostentatious, self-proclaimed experience in criticizing films. It comes from a fan who expected more from a perpetually perfectionist Blizzard.

Last edited:
Level 4
To be honest, I would rather see Warcraft as a GoT style series... I could imagine this working much better, since the story is just too much to fit into 2 hour movies.
I totally agree. They totally got the story line mixed up, was a bit annoying. But was a good movie overall. A GoT style would be such a good way of telling the warcraft story though, then Blizzard will be able to get into much better detail concerning certain characters and events which took place. I'd give movie 7/10

I totally agree. They totally got the story line mixed up, was a bit annoying. But was a good movie overall. A GoT style would be such a good way of telling the warcraft story though, then Blizzard will be able to get into much better detail concerning certain characters and events which took place. I'd give movie 7/10
This, exactly. What if we eventually get the WC3 storyline as a movie? There is no way they can fit the Thrall, Illidan and Arthas stories into just a single 2 hour movie. There is just way too much going on in this game.

This, exactly. What if we eventually get the WC3 storyline as a movie? There is no way they can fit the Thrall, Illidan and Arthas stories into just a single 2 hour movie. There is just way too much going on in this game.

To be honest games weren't that long to begin with. And the movie will not go trough every little detail in the story, it will focus on main plot.

By the way this was just Theatrical Cut, wait for Blu-Ray Director's Cut for additional 40 minutes. 2 h, 3 min + 40 min = 2 h 43 min ( Director's Cut )

Level 12
How does everyone feel about the lore changes? I personally really like them, some of them better than the canon. For example, I think it makes so much more sense that Medivh is Garona's father rather than her lover, and that Garona actually is half-human and half-orc. I personally like the aspect of the Fel so far, though if sequels follow they'll have to change things up a bit when it comes to the Burning Legion and drinking the blood of Mannoroth. Which I'm fine with!
Overall, I loved the movie, and I think that in a lot of ways it's the way the lore should have gone. World of Warcraft took way too many weird liberties in terms of modern gnomish technology, weird world history (like the Old Gods, silithids, etc., which I never liked), and races—there are just way too many half X-half human races in every area just for the purpose of grinding and fighting. Seeing the story in a more realistic light was a delight to me. This is coming from a guy whose favorite Warcraft game out of the series is Warcraft 3, then Warcraft 2, then Warcraft 1, then WoW, however (at least in terms of lore), so I can see how others may have very different opinions.

Can't wait for the director's cut!

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Last edited:
So, apparently the movie lost money. Why do Americans seem to hate this movie, but love The Avengers? It's beyond me.
Beats me too. Then again, I wouldn't trust IGN on that. Simply because I would never trust IGN. It's the buzzfeed of gaming websites.
With almost 430 Millions in china, it's impossible for the film not to have paid for itself, despite China taking some cuts.

Doesn't really bode well for a sequel. I guess the only chance is if they're planning on catering even more towards the Chinese audience with the next one.
This will definitely happen. I'd say they will continue the franchise, but on a smaller production budget. Recycling some art assets from the movie might be a good idea.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] With almost 430 Millions in china [...]

:eekani:
Current grosses as of 07/12, according to Box-Office Mojo :

Domestic: $46,671,870 (10.8%)
+ Foreign: $383,500,000 (89.2%)
= Worldwide: $430,171,870

Total gross in China is $220,841,090, as of 07/03/2016

[...] I'd say they will continue the franchise, but on a smaller production budget. Recycling some art assets from the movie might be a good idea.

[...] Doesn't really bode well for a sequel. I guess the only chance is if they're planning on catering even more towards the Chinese audience with the next one.

...or they might decide to switch to a totally different strategy, by focusing on other unexplored production (and distribution) channels :

Classic 2d TV animation is cheap nowadays. And even a (not as detailed) full CGI TV series might be more profitable in the mid/long run.

Classic 2d TV animation is cheap nowadays. And even a (not as detailed) full CGI TV series might be more profitable in the mid/long run.
A fully animated series would probably be awesome.

And yes I admit it; i'm one of those people that liked the Clone Wars series. t.t

pyf

pyf

Level 32
A fully animated series would probably be awesome.
Full TV animation work uses an optimized production pipeline. It helps easily remain in total control of the creative process. Plus, the viewer has far less issues with suspension of disbelief imho; and the Warcraft universe may often challenge it, high fantasy or not...

Only problem is, TV animation can not appeal to as wide a demographic audience as a live-action motion picture.

And yes I admit it; i'm one of those people that liked the Clone Wars series. t.t
Hehe, I precisely had it in mind. Nice balance between technique, aesthetics/visuals and production costs (like the CGI TMNT TV series too btw).

You kidding me? Clone Wars was awesome. Started out pretty weak, but the last couple of seasons were amazing.

I think he said he liked it.

As for me, I felt each episode of this CGI TV series was way too much action-packed. It had far too little room for character development/empathy with. Therefore, I quickly felt overwhelmed/bored, and lost interest. In any story, one has to be able to relate to characters first. Warcraft heavily relies on very unique, larger-than-life characters/heroes with strong motives and passions.

Level 39
I think he said he liked it.

I'm aware, I was simply expressing shock at the idea that liking the show is an unpopular opinion ;)

I don't think all the episodes of TCW were too action-packed at all. In the beginning, for sure. But those story arcs in the last couple of seasons, there were some pretty powerful character development there. I can't believe anybody wouldn't be able to relate to Ahsoka towards the end of that show.

Anyway, a Warcraft animated series could actually work, simply because the art style would be quite fitting and it's something Blizzard could afford without blowing their whole budget. A GoT style series would simply be too expensive.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Warcraft 4K UHD, Blu-ray, 3D, DVD and Digital Release Date and Details - TheHDRoom

Summary:
- September 13th: Digital HD format release
- September 27th: 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD releases

Blu-ray exclusive bonus features:
  • Warcraft: Bonds of Brotherhood Motion Comic: seemingly an interactive one, revolving around Prince Llane, Captain Lothar and Guardian Medivh.
  • The World of Warcraft on Film: a five-part documentary focused on actors, VFX, stunts, motion capture...
  • Madame Tussauds’ Featurette: the making of the Warcraft wax figures by Madame Tussauds.
  • Warcraft Teaser: the one which premiered at San Diego Comic-Con in 2013.
Shared extras between Blu-ray and DVD:
  • Deleted Scenes (read Duncan Jone's tweet)
  • Gag Reel
  • Origin Story
  • The Fandom of Warcraft
  • ILM: Behind the Magic of Warcraft.

More about Bonds of Brotherhood:
http://blizzardwatch.com/2016/06/10/warcraft-bonds-brotherhood-expands-movie-universe/
"Written by Chris Metzen and Paul Cornell, the graphic novel is set way back before the events presented in the film and tells the story of how Llane became King"

Level 8
I liked Star Wars prequels more than the original movies which I couldn't force myself to watch. :p
I hope this is a bad joke.

To the Warcraft Movie: Weak
I did not like the style with the actors + cosplay tier costumes.
I was missing atmosphere, good characters, good story and epic battles.
Only good scene was the Orc Warlock draining out the soul of the human.
Better rewatch the wc3 cinematics.

I hope this is a bad joke.

To the Warcraft Movie: Weak
I did not like the style with the actors + cosplay tier costumes.
I was missing atmosphere, good characters, good story and epic battles.
Only good scene was the Orc Warlock draining out the soul of the human.
Better rewatch the wc3 cinematics.

Looks like we have something to disagree on. I liked Warcraft Movie and I liked Star Wars prequels. :)

Level 27
Finally saw it, it was okay. Maybe they finaly did it and make a good game based film (despite all the retarded critics etc.)

The graphics (cgi) looked really good, the orcs look a lot bigger than in warcraft 3.

I didn't really know much about the warcraft 1 story, there were parts that were really cool and some that were less so.
I still feel like some scenes were kind of rushed, yet the movie is still 2 hours long, maybe they should've take another 30 minutes to add a little more depth to it.
Well obviously there is a lot of lore, but I mean from the perspective of a newcomer they might have to elaborate on some things a little more.

I still feel like they would've been better of making a movie of the Warcraft 3 Human Campaign (primarily about Arthas etc.), something with the undead/burning legion.

But overall I am quite content on how it turned out. But I think you do need to be a fan (and maybe a little biased) to appreciate the work they put in.

(And yeah I was lurking and remembered I made this thread =p)

Status
Not open for further replies.