• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are some of the props used in the film:

wcmovie01.jpg

wcmovie02.jpg

wcmovie03.jpg

The Frostwolf insignia on Doomhammer worries me, considering this is set around WC1.
:ogre_love:

There's probably an in-universe explanation for that, Kwaliti. It could have something to do with the Doomhammer prophecy; or with the orc race's alliance/affinity with wolves.

Let's not write off the movie just yet, not just because out-of-universe someone designed the Doomhammer to be instantly recognizable.

I'm not writing it off, I'm just worried about lore discrepancies, considering Thrall etched the insignia after he inherited Doomhammer, while Doomhammer himself was a Blackrock.

We'll see how it unravels, though.

Animated title:

Some people argue that the different look was so that it would appeal to more than just the familiar audience (the movie is aiming to be viewable even if you haven't heard of Warcraft). I can see it being from that perspective, but I still think they could've done a better job. It just sounds like an excuse. It is too sharp and minimal--resembles a "tech" feel.

They gave some more info at SDCC:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4192-Warcraft-Movie-Animated-Logo-and-Teaser-Description

There is a description in that link.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Lol the dislikers..

I can't wait to see the movie. Title doesn't matter that much ;)

Level 24
It's great to hear news though I had hoped they would involve the quel'dorei or Aegwynn.

Level 4
DooM movie

The problem with doom and mortal kombat and such was that they where considered as 'bad' movies .. i still didnt look any game-based movie .. but i think a WoW Movie would surely scare some ppl because the WoW vibe,but also attract a lot of fans. And i finaly hope that ppl can see a game based movie can be rly good ( Warcraft is just like LOTR but then better! ).

That DooM movie really needs to be replaced. It nearly ruined the games' reputation.

Needless to say, I can't wait for the Warcraft movie to come out. I just hope its not as twisted out of shape like the DooM movie was. I mean: mutants instead of demons from Hell...seriously?!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is almost certain that it will stay true to lore. Blizzard has too much riding on it seeing how they have spent decades refining and revising the lore to just throw it all down the drain with some movie that has nothing to do with Warcraft except the name.

It is also unclear what this recent trend of games to films is about. In any case it seems to be starting big time this year (possibly this years major theme?) with several game series getting high budget films.

The Warcraft film was started as a project with the previous wave of games to films as part of Vivendi's overall strategy before the acquisition by Activision. It was originally set to be released around the same time period as a Spyro the Dragon film (based on the Legend of Spyro series) as well as several other miscellaneous Sierra published intellectual property (which included stuff like the Hitman film and a few other forgotten films that were released).

Soon after the acquisition by Activision all active film projects were put on hold indefinitely (no scheduled timeline). It was to the point that the team working on the Spyro the Dragon film were dropped completely (all correspondence stopped, true American way to fire external teams) so I would not be surprised if the same thing did not happen to the Warcraft film (why little to nothing was mentioned about it for a good part of a decade).

I am guessing the Warcraft film was eventually started back up as a project, especially considering the success Blizzard has had for a good part of a decade now. How similar this is to the original plan of the film no one can be sure of however chances are it is almost completely different (to the point it was restarted entirely).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What?!? There was a Spyro film? Now I need to look for that
There was going to be. They were even around midway with production (no one knows how much of the animation was done but a fair amount it is said). However it was all scrapped after the merger with Activision in true American fashion (the guys were not even sure if they were fired, all correspondence stopped).

I think the writing staff were so pissed by what happened they eventually released the entire script online somewhere. No footage was ever released except for some advertisement shots (so it would be listed as an upcoming film).

It is quite reasonable to assume that Warcraft movie also suffered a similar fate around that time. However unlike Spyro which has become nothing more than a figure to push cheap toys to kids, Warcraft is still serious so they eventually revived the project. I am basing this on the insane production length it has had (nearly 10 years?).

The logo has been updated a while ago, though.

bc2k14_wcMovieLogoBIG.jpg

I don't understand how can some people who work with Blizzard make such mistakes: the logo title should have "C" not "c" - WarCraft. Currently - Warcraft.

Every Warcraft logo ever trademarked had "WarCraft" high cases.

From the very beginning they are making mistakes, the creative design team must be getting desperate. -_-

On the other hand, nice improvement they did. I'm sure they understood how crappy the first version was.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Every Warcraft logo ever trademarked had "WarCraft" high cases.
No it used a special font 'c'. It has always been called "Warcraft" and never "WarCraft" (well at least since WC3 was released anyway). All the documentation in WC3 refers to it as "Warcraft" so does all official mentions of the series on all official sites.

If you notice carefully, the 'c' in all Warcraft logos (1 to World of Warcraft) extends below the line of writing making it taller than a 'W' and out of place with all other characters. This implies that it is a special font used specifically for that letter. In that font it is a 'c' not a 'C'.

Warcraft-logo.gif

The use of this special font for the 'c' in "Warcraft" is probably to make it appear more special. In the artwork it is often used to form a line of symmetry as well as to deform borders. In any case it is the trademark of the series, probably originally from a time when they did call it "WarCraft" before deciding to change it.

If you bothered to look closely the 'c' in the trailer does go below the line of writing so it actually is the same logo (so there is no mistake). The only problem is that the height difference between lower and upper case is so small that is is very hard to notice the differences. The 'c' does reach to the top of the 'W' and extends below the line of writing by the delta between top line of lower case and top line of upper case. The top line of lower and upper case are usually further apart in Warcraft logos.

Level 4
It would be cool if they did strictly an animated movie but it would have to be released via Internet. No amount of production staff and money could do justice to blizzard lore on the big screen. Give it a few decades.

Level 14
I for one am incredibly excited about the upcoming Warcraft movie. Let's round up what we know about it so far.

Release Date: March 11th, 2016

Synopsis: (From IMDB) The film portrays the origin story of the initial encounters between the humans and the orcs, with an emphasis upon both the Alliance's and the Horde's sides of their conflict. Featuring characters such as Durotan and Lothar, the film will take place in a variety of locations established in the video game series.

Top billed cast members and their roles in the film:

Travis Fimmel
Anduin Lothar

Paula Patton
Garona

Ben Foster
Medivh

Dominic Cooper
King Llane Wrynn

Toby Kebbell
Durotan

Clancy Brown
Blackhand

Ruth Negga
Lady Taria

Ben Schnetzer
Khadgar

Current film status: Post Production

Promotional Art:

MV5BNjE5Mjg2Mjk4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTQwODgzMzE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

I hope this movie will be successful... And Warcraft 3 will rise again ....
But in my country, most people are ignorants(dotA players) , they called WARCRAFT as DOTA , Computer shop named warcraft 3 as dotA (or DOTA1) instead of warcraft... Last time, I saw a page on facebook which discussed dotA and I saw the admin posted a picture of warcraft 3 movie with this caption, "dotA movie, coming soon" and he said "Get ready dotA players" . My eyes started to irritate and I said "f*ck you, you didn't know what you are saying, warcraft 3 and dotA are not same! , dotA is a custom map only for warcraft 3". Then many people replied to my comment. "F*ck you , idiot" "idiot, noob" "warcraft 3 is dotA" "hey, lets play dotA with me and try to defeat me, weak" .. I felt sad because they didn't know anything about wc3 ... So In this movie, I hope people in my country became knowledgeable about this pretty game ... I assumed they're expecting dotA heroes on that movie. But after the film, they will know the truth ... :vw_unimpressed::vw_death:

But in my country, most people are ignorants(dotA players) , they called WARCRAFT as DOTA , Computer shop named warcraft 3 as dotA (or DOTA1) instead of warcraft... Last time, I saw a page on facebook which discussed dotA and I saw the admin posted a picture of warcraft 3 movie with this caption, "dotA movie, coming soon" and he said "Get ready dotA players" . My eyes started to irritate and I said "f*ck you, you didn't know what you are saying, warcraft 3 and dotA are not same! , dotA is a custom map only for warcraft 3". Then many people replied to my comment. "F*ck you , idiot" "idiot, noob" "warcraft 3 is dotA" "hey, lets play dotA with me and try to defeat me, weak" .. I felt sad because they didn't know anything about wc3 ... So In this movie, I hope people in my country became knowledgeable about this pretty game ... I assumed they're expecting dotA heroes on that movie. But after the film, they will know the truth ... :vw_unimpressed::vw_death:

They are indeed stupid fools, just ignore them.

Level 23

I know how you feel, bro.

Level 1

call me ignorant..i don't even know what is Dota. Only know Warcraft 3. Just resume playing warcraft 3 again few weeks ago after more than 10 years. Played 1 mission every night. Now starting Frozen throne blood elf mission. Very good game and storyline.

Level 21
Damn ignorant idiots.Don't worry about them,you are wise enough to know the truth.Their stupidity is their own problem.

call me ignorant..i don't even know what is Dota. Only know Warcraft 3. Just resume playing warcraft 3 again few weeks ago after more than 10 years. Played 1 mission every night. Now starting Frozen throne blood elf mission. Very good game and storyline.
DOTA is a Warcraft 3 custom Aeon of Strife(AoS) map.Don't worry,there is nothing wrong if you don't know what it is.

Level 12
I personally have very high hopes for the movie. I'm glad they're basing it on the base storyline of WarCraft. Things just got too weird in WoW, so hailing back to Medivh and Khadgar and stuff will make for an awesome storyline to work around for a film. I hope it, unlike every other video game movie ever, gets good reviews and sets a new standard.

Level 39
We finally have a first look at how orcs are gonna look!

1257888813741481061.jpg

1257888813830571365.jpg

Orgrim Doomhammer. Lookin' pretty darn realistic if you ask me.
Two things stand out for me though:

1) He's brown. Are these from some kind of Draenor flashback? Did they change the skin color of orcs to look more "realistic"? Did they retcon the whole green thing? Or will they be showing the gradual change from brown to green in the movie (also a retcon)? I sincerely hope it's more along the lines of the first.

2) He doesn't have his iconic Doomhammer armour. Again, makes me think (or hope) it might be a flashback of some sorts. I really hate retcons, so I hope they'll give him the armour at some point. The fact that some orcs also have plate armour also gets rid of that caveman orc stereotype that plagues many other games of this genre.

Other than that, I really love what they've done here. My hopes for this movie are rising.

Level 7
Either way, I'm pretty sure this movie's gonna be fantastic in its own right!

...Tauer, I challenge you to make a Doomhammer like that one when you're done with Durotan. Once we've seen more of the big guy, of course!

Level 12
Tauer, I challenge you to make a Doomhammer like that one when you're done with Durotan. Once we've seen more of the big guy, of course!

You're joking right? I HIGHLY doubt Tauer would go through such an effort again for a fourth remake of Orgrim Doomhammer. Enough Doomhammer and Hellscream for a change. Let's shed some light on other characters rather than keep on remaking what's already here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, he looks great but they totally ruined the Orcish concepts of clan traditions and their appearance. Orcs are supposed to be green yet we have a brown one. Another thing, I really don'y like how he's dressed because it totally ruins the facts of how Orcs are supposed to be organized. Just look at him. He doesn't look like a Blackrock at all. Look's more like a Frostwolf. Not even to be honest. More like a caveman to tell the truth. He's missing his iconic black armor. Though I do love how he looks in general. Looks like a real representation of what the Orcs of Warcraft would look like in real life. He looks a lot like the Orcs in WoW.

Level 39
Yeah, I'm not doing another Orgim (might update his face at some point, but nothing more than that). Besides, as I already pointed out Orgrim NEEDS his iconic armor.

I just don't understand why they would retcon this? How would it help the story in any way that he is brown and dresses like a caveman? Retconning for the sake of retconning is bad, and they should feel bad...

Level 7
Yeah, I'm not doing another Orgim (might update his face at some point, but nothing more than that). Besides, as I already pointed out Orgrim NEEDS his iconic armor.

I just don't understand why they would retcon this? How would it help the story in any way that he is brown and dresses like a caveman? Retconning for the sake of retconning is bad, and they should feel bad...

Well, remember, we're not really seeing this image in any real context so we can't honestly judge it yet. This could indeed be from before the Doomhammer Plate was forged. Hell, for all we know Blackhand is wearing it and Orgrim won't acquire it until he becomes warchief.

Maybe the AU Draenor Blackhand originally owned the Doomhammer plate but gave it to Orgrim when he got his own sick fiery-furnace plate. It's not exactly out of the realm of possibility.

But, again -- context. We don't have it. We need it in order to make any kind of judgement. Let's just enjoy this image for what it is -- proof that the CGI orcs look fucking sexy and realistic.

Level 28
So far I haven't seen anything that contradicts any of the games. Instead it borrows as many elements as possible from all four main games (WC1 to WoW), more than any video game movie adaption has ever done.

Brown orcs have been established in WoW. Peaceful/shamanistic orcs have been established in WC3. I can totally understand that someone wouldn't wear his armor all the time and we know nothing about the context of this picture (as was said).

If anything it just shows you how different WC can be from LotR, were orcs/monsters were just one dimensional villains.

I can totally see Doomhammer talking to himself, or reminiscing about better days in this picture. His current situation is really hard, because they live in a really harsh environment, because they almost totally destroyed their land because of their wars. Doing so while fully armored would weaken the effect.

Also, it can't retcon anything because it builds it's own continuity. Much like Game of Thrones series. The author of GoT might be inspired by stuff done in the series but he'll certainly not retcon it.

Level 25
So far I haven't seen anything that contradicts any of the games. Instead it borrows as many elements as possible from all four main games (WC1 to WoW), more than any video game movie adaption has ever done.

(...)

I can totally see Doomhammer talking to himself, or reminiscing about better days in this picture. His current situation is really hard, because they live in a really harsh environment, because they almost totally destroyed their land because of their wars. Doing so while fully armored would weaken the effect.

The problem is that he was wearing the same armor in the picture we got from Blizzcon, which could indicate that this is how he will be portrayed in the movie. Also, there's the whole "Frostwolf insignia on the Doomhammer"-issue that also contradicts the lore.

Level 7
Frankly... Blaming it on context seems a little bit optimistic to me. I really doubt they'll show the orcs as very civilized, in terms of technological advancement. They'll probably just stick to Grunt-esque armor and weapons.

Would it make you feel better if I just suddenly jumped on the hate bandwagon like everyone else? I'm reserving my judgement because of that company's solid reputation -- if they screw up this movie I'll never see another film about ANYTHING again cos there'd be no hope left.

The guys making this movie are fans, THAT is why I'm optimistic. It's Legendary making the movie, THAT is why I'm optimistic. I haven't seen a single film they got wrong. Sorry for going against the grain.

Level 39
The problem is that he was wearing the same armor in the picture we got from Blizzcon, which could indicate that this is how he will be portrayed in the movie. Also, there's the whole "Frostwolf insignia on the Doomhammer"-issue that also contradicts the lore.

Why on earth would they put the Frostwolf insignia on the Doomhammer?? This worries me..

By the looks of it, I guess the images showed Doomhammer in Dreanor. So it was likely a flashback pre-corruption.

The make-up looks very realistic. :)

It's CGI, not makeup.

Level 12
How do you know it's CGI? It seems that a lot of assumptions are being made from these two context-less pictures. Hopefully he's brown because the orcs haven't drunk Mannoroth's blood yet, but there's really no way to know until a solid trailer comes out and we see if they're shown as green at any point.

Reactions: Rui
Level 39
How do you know it's CGI? It seems that a lot of assumptions are being made from these two context-less pictures. Hopefully he's brown because the orcs haven't drunk Mannoroth's blood yet, but there's really no way to know until a solid trailer comes out and we see if they're shown as green at any point.

It's CGI. It's already been confirmed several times.
Industrial Light & Magic are responsible for making the Orcs and they're a visual effects company, not a make-up company.
Rob Kazinsky (Orgrim) was talking about the motion capture at Blizzcon.
Also people that saw the trailer at the last Blizzcon confirmed that Orcs are CGI. Lastly, it quite obviously looks like CGI. Mindblowingly realistic CGI but CGI nonetheless. Look at the nose and huge hands. Can't really make that with make-up properly.
Seems like a lot of people are hoping it's not CGI, so they still have an excuse to bash on it.

I also hope it's a flashback or something. It just seems strange that the first picture they show us is not how he's actually gonna look in the movie, it just doesn't seem realistic to me. The second picture isn't even from the movie, looks more like a promotional shot to show off Orcs. Why wouldn't they use actual design for that? It just seems very optimistic to assume that it's taken out of context.
Also, Orcs that didn't drink Mannoroths blood also turned green. How else would Thrall be green?

I'm not making any judgements yet. Still gonna watch the movie, looking forward to watching the movie. But at this point it just looks like unnecessary retconning to me, which worries me.

Last edited:
Level 17
I'm Sure Blizzard will make a Pretty good movie (By seeing it's WoW Trailers I can be sure of that). But it has been a long time Since Blizzard Started making this movie, so it looks like it has been troublesome. The Teasers Look good, So I can't wait for it to come out.

From my Point of View, The reason Orgrim Is NOT green is the Shadow council.
Blizzard MUST be using CGI, That's a bit Obvious. However Blizzard is god Good in making realistic CGI. (See Cataclysm/Wrath of the Lich king Trailer)
Of course Orcs cannot be Made by Make Up.

~_- Good Luck, Arad MNK'

Level 39
I'm Sure Blizzard will make a Pretty good movie (By seeing it's WoW Trailers I can be sure of that). But it has been a long time Since Blizzard Started making this movie, so it looks like it has been troublesome. The Teasers Look good, So I can't wait for it to come out.

From my Point of View, The reason Orgrim Is NOT green is the Shadow council.
Blizzard MUST be using CGI, That's a bit Obvious. However Blizzard is god Good in making realistic CGI. (See Cataclysm/Wrath of the Lich king Trailer)
Of course Orcs cannot be Made by Make Up.

~_- Good Luck, Arad MNK'

Well this movie is not being made by Blizzard. Legendary Pictures is making it (although Blizzard assists), with ILM (Industrial Light & Magic) making the visual effects. So Blizzard's cinematics have nothing to do with this movie.

I also hope it's a flashback or something. It just seems strange that the first picture they show us is not how he's actually gonna look in the movie, it just doesn't seem realistic to me. The second picture isn't even from the movie, looks more like a promotional shot to show off Orcs. Why wouldn't they use actual design for that? It just seems very optimistic to assume that it's taken out of context.
Also, Orcs that didn't drink Mannoroths blood also turned green. How else would Thrall be green?

Yeah I'm afraid of retcons too.

Anyway, as for the explanation as to why orcs like Thrall/frostwolves turned green--they may not have drank from Mannoroth's blood, but over time they were exposed to some demonic taint from warlocks. I imagine that is the reason why half the creatures throughout Outland became so demonic (at least in Hellfire peninsula and shadowmoon valley).

Level 39
The normal “order color” for orcs being tainted is Brown → Red → Green. So before green they'll be turning red. We haven't seen a red Orgrim yet.

I'm pretty sure it goes Brown - Green - Red. At least it used to. Grom turns red the second time he drinks the Blood of Mannoroth and in Rise of The Horde the orcs are described as turning from brown to green. It might have been retconned though... I hate retcons :(

Status
Not open for further replies.