• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft Legends: Part One

Another older project. This was created while I was in grad school in 2009-2010.

This is Part One of what was to be a two-part campaign retelling the events of WarCraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal. These five missions - three orc, two human - tell the first half of that story. The campaign is a hero-based RTS campaign in the style of the actual WarCraft III campaigns.

Screenshots are here. The (older) trailer is here.

Credits - All resources used in the campaign come from Blizzard. All maps were made by Jake Kessler and there are no custom models or sounds.

----------------------------------

The Second War has drawn to a close. The Orcish Hordes that laid waste to Stormwind and Lordaeron have at long last been defeated. With the majority of the surviving orcs now languishing in guarded prison camps, the humans and their allies have begun rebuilding their broken cities and nations.

Meanwhile, on the desolate orcish homeworld of Draenor, the few surviving orc clans squabble amongst themselves. Sensing opportunity, the mad shaman Ner'zhul seizes his chance to assume control of the orcs and forge them into a new Horde. His grand vision: to succeed where his pupil Gul'dan once failed, and lead the Horde to conquer new worlds beyond the Dark Portal...

In WarCraft Legends: Part One, you assume the role of legendary heroes of the Alliance and Horde over land, sea and air. Danath, Turalyon, Alleria and Khadgar clash with Grom Hellscream, Kilrogg Deadeye and Teron Gorefiend in a final contest for control over the Dark Portal's secrets.

----------------------------------

Keywords:
warcraft 2, beyond the dark portal, orc, human, campaign
Contents

WarCraft Legends: Part One (Campaign)

Reviews
Orcnet [07:55, Nov/25/2012] "Approved"
Level 2
Chapter 2 versus Chapter 5 prelude.... (level insaine)

Don't blame yourself -- WCL was one of my earliest campaign projects and the balance is really off. Chapter II is probably the hardest level in the campaign.

With that said, it *IS* beatable. A strategy I find effective is to make a wall of farms in front of my towers, so that melee enemies have to travel further to be able to attack. Having ballistae and knights/heroes at each entrance to take out ranged attackers (particularly catapults) is also helpful. In general, towers are usually enough to take out the trolls/raiders that attack the top entrance to your base -- it's the two southern entrances that need the most defending.

If resources are tight, train more Peasants. You can never have too many Peasants, towers or Farms.

If you still can't win, feel free to use cheats. The level is way harder than it was supposed to be.

Good luck!

I actually managed to play this level 3 times and finish it now, the secret is to make towers in a bulk load not in a thin wall method, definitely build a church and heal the people. I think that was it. Archers of course.

Im now on Chapter V and hell this level needs a rework i think. It is way not possible to complete it, i think. Would you be able to maybe have a look at the level. It seems that it may have a bug also, because when i took one of my men to that ring portal thing nothing happened, so i dont know am i supposed to do something else.... I also die and then nothing happens , like saying quit/exit/restart.
I just rode transport boats right to the base and made my 2 men run for their lives right to the ring, but sigh... not sure if i need to actually kill the men around there also, if thats the case, its just not going to happen. It seems we have too little gold to start with and turtles and knights with their whirlwinds attack and also the dragons just seem to many , way too many , its like 10 i counted and i hadnt even started building up 10 archers for example, it just doesnt seem like it is possible to finish. Let me know if you have finished this , like for real and also, maybe you can consider reworking the level a bit ?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Some sort of Warcraft II elements in a Warcraft III campaign. However work must still be done on it.

lev1:
-eh. I don't know if Frost Wolves and Spirit Wolves meet Grommash's ways of acting and being
-Pig Farms would have been more Warcraft II-ish
-the AI is very weak. The gray one doesn't even send troops to attack
-the optional quest finished after the dark green AI's main building was destroyed although it still had two unit producing structures

lev2:
-since when was Khadgar anyone's lord?
-some dialogues run too fast
-the Chapel looks to night elvish
-the portal was secured just by moving Danath to the circle not by actually destroying all the towers near it. Wait what? Now the player can train Burning Legion troops!?
-again the AI is weak. I haven't tried it but I'm confident their bases can be defeated at this rate
-funny thing is that Danath is on a horse and not Turalyon. Even funnier is that Grom's ending message was sent by him being Polymorphed

lev3:
-not sure how the patrols get through the Murloc camps without problems
-this should be a time based level or something because it's easy to turn back to the Fountain of Health
-the Black Drake just remains there after the human settlement is destroyed
-destroying one cage will make the other fall as well
-oh yes, the Campfires are even more advantageous than the Moon Wells and even than a Fountain of Health
-what the heck is Sylvanas Windrunner doing here!?
-Deathwing's roost was not really in a safe place, somewhere high. Why did the player have to destroy it!?
-again transmissions aren't fully readable, they dissipate too fast

lev4:
-excuse me!? Teron is a messiah walking on water!?
-someone or something seems to be resurrecting Grom's pet
-Two Gryphons attacking Grom's base that soon? No towers and only two Trolls to defend with... then yet another two and then the Knights again...
-whaaa... Tornadoes can be attacked by enemy units...
-problem is that units spawn even if their production structures were destroyed. If you don't want to create a simple AI with the AI editor at least make a logical/decent spawn based one. Make a condition to check if the said building is alive or not before spawning. Actually no because without a proper AI, it just acts like Neutral Hostile or even worse. Seriously attacking their Castle won't make them defend it
-should have made Danath level 6 too
-Kul Tiras only spawns ground units
-the Bandits only attack the blue AI if the gate is destroyed
-if Grom goes to Dentarg, nothing happens
-sending Grom to the Circle of Power without fighting the guards ends the level in victory...

lev5:
-ok... Turtles are even getting on land and are invisible while not attacking... Interesting concept, somehow
-one stupid Tornado almost destroyed my Town Hall...
-just got a sudden crash...
-after constructing the Shipyard the yellow AI attacks with a horde of black dragons
-how/why did they know the Book of Medivh was already out of Azeroth?

I liked the fact that it wasn't entirely a one race campaign.

Level 7
Great campaign!
I used Warcraft: Rebirth mod for an even better feeling, I loved it.
The only problem is that I got to Chapter 4, and then left. When I decided to play again, I only had the first two Chapters unlocked.
I lost some progress, around 1 hour and a half of it, but still.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The only problem is that I got to Chapter 5, and then left. When I decided to play again, I only had the first two Chapters unlocked.
I lost some progress, around 1 hour and a half of it, but still.
Might it be an issue because you're playing it on a mod and not on the actual game?
You can open the campaign in the campaign editor via the World Editor and make those maps visible.

Level 7
Might it be an issue because you're playing it on a mod and not on the actual game?
You can open the campaign in the campaign editor via the World Editor and make those maps visible.
It's not exactly a full-on mod. It's only the files of the remade models put into the Warcraft folder with Local Files enabled.
It's basically the same thing as Warcraft 3 but with different models.