• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Warcraft II: Reimagined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello everyone!
I am planning to remake Warcraft II. Unlike other remakes, this one will be a very unique and risky remake let me tell you how:
  • The plot will be completely different. It's not set in the Warcraft universe at all. Alliance (Humans) and Horde (Orcs) will be replaced by the Kingdom (Forest Elves, High Elves, and Ents) and the Conglomerate (Undead, Dreadlords, and Demons). Azeroth will be reimagined as a world called Magrom.
  • All characters will be original. But they will take inspiration from wc2 characters.
However, there is some stuff which will be completely inherited from wc2 without any modification:
  • The gameplay music from warcraft 2 will be imported.
  • Naval battles are expected (can be removed as with them it will feel too much like wc2).
I don't want the player to feel like they are replaying wc2 in wc3 as many others have created campaigns that have done that. As I said before that it is very risky (no one has ever done that before) that's why I used this forum to get your feedback regarding my idea.

Level 3
I played WC2 a lot in the past. But mostly lan games with friends and single player vs AI . Didnt rly find WC2 campaign very exciting for some reason.

So your project is basically WC3 engine + WC2 like mechanics and music + some new nice storyline / setting. This sounds VERY cool if you ask me. I would play it for sure.

What patch do you plan to make it for ? Is it the latest patch ? In this case will it be HD or SD ? Or will it be some older patch like 1.26 / 1.29 / etc ?

Level 9
If it is based on Wc2, does this mean that in the end the "good side" will be the winners in the end, or is there more freedom in your story for who becomes the victors.
To avoid an anticlimactic, I will make sure that the 'good side' wins. However, this victory will have negative long term effects on the 'good side'.

Level 3
I will be using 1.26; most people will be able to play it.

I see. I personally develop my map for the latest patches. But I actually have 1.26 and 1.29 both installed too. Just in case )). And I understand and respect the reasons of players who prefer older patches.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Warcraft 2 itself was a remake of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Warcraft III is also a remake.
Not entirely true. Through a remake, you understand keeping the core things. For instance, Adney's Orc campaign is a Warcraft III adaptation of the Orcs & Humans orc campaign. It's more than a remake.

Anyways, I thought you just wanted to replace Warcraft II with something else since you even want to keep the music, hence why this seemed really awkward, something like the Culling of Stratholme but with Mario characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.