• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 with widescreen support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
A stretched UI allows to display a bit more of the animated 3D portrait, which is not an issue for me.

As a workaround I point out, game cursor files can be manually tweaked horizontally to have proper aspect ratio ingame. This requires AllowLocalFiles in order to work. The four mdx files are in the UI/Cursor folder of one of you main mpq files.

I never bothered to check whether or not tweaked UI parts / other 2D art (read: loading screens) can be swapped that way too.

I do not mind if the UI is stretched. Widescreen loading screens could be nice, though. Or at least loading screens with proper 4:3 aspect ratio when the game is in widescreen mode.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
A stretched UI allows to display a bit more of the animated 3D portrait, which is not an issue for me.
It should not if the projection matrix is correct. The portrait ratio should remain the same for both wide and standard display as the UI should be expanded via blank/expansion sections so individual elements remain the same ratio (buttons are square and portrait remains the same ratio rectangle).

The problem is that one actually needs to redesign the UI for widescreen, SC2 style.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
It should not if the projection matrix is correct. [...]

Sorry for being unclear. What I meant is, I like a slightly wider portrait window in widescreen. It allows to reveal a bit more of the animated 3D portraits' surroundings, since 3D portraits have the proper aspect ratio in, say, RenderEdge 0.10a.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/posts/3095039/

The other obviously stretched UI parts (2D art) may feel unaesthetic as-is.

Level 8
The Warcraft 3 Reborn team is working on a recreating of UI for wide screens:
IMG_08092016_025516_20160930_222103.jpg

It is only necessary to change the position of interface elements. But it is not possible by editing .fdf files.
One of W3Reborn developers and me are working on it.

BTW, move the minimap is very simple:
34a8aaef-e234-42be-8963-ba33ed96e689_20160930_221307.jpg
I am also able to change the location and size of all UI with clickable areas of buttons, but I have to find a way to move and resize each single control:
a4c2c6eaae9c4801874f0cf31f002289.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.