• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of the Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

War of the Ring is a unique strategy map set in the legendary realm of J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. This project is a reboot of an old project, but it will be vastly different. Some of the planned features in this map:
-Unique gameplay, inspired by many different games but as whole something entirely new
-Immersive atmosphere, with terrain and interface that makes you believe you are in middle-earth
-Two factions: the forces of Good or the forces of Evil. Each faction has three sub-factions

There are two unique factions that you may choose at the start of the game. The Forces of Good consist of Gondor, Rohan, and the Elves. The Forces of Evil consist of Mordor, Isengard, and Wicked Men. Good have strong units, and great defensive support. Evil have powerful beasts, and excellent offensive capabilities. Below are the techtrees:
Leaders
-Gondorian Captain - leader of gondor, good at healing and protection.
-Rohirric Marshall - leader of rohan, good at leading assaults
-Elven Guardian - leader of the elves, good at supporting troops
Units and Buildings
-Statue of Gondor - increases power, allows structures to be built around it
-Statue of Rohan - increases power, allows structures to be built around it
-Statue of the Eldar - increases power, allows structures to be built around it
-Barracks - built by Gondorian Captain
--Soldier - versatile unit, good at defending. Can upgrade to a Tower Guard
--Ranger - stealth unit, good at ambush attacks and scouting
--Bannerman - morale support. Boosts morale, but weak in combat
-Siege Works - built by Gondorian Captain
--Vanguard - tank unit, absorbs damage
--Trebuchet - long-range siege machine. Must Set Down to attack, must Pack Up to move
-Archery Range - built by Rohirric Marshall
--Peasant - fodder unit, good in numbers. Can repair
--Archer - ranged DPS, good in numbers
--Ballista - barrage machine, fires multiple arrows in the air
-Stables - built by Rohirric Marshall
--Horse - mount. Can be mounted by Peasants, Archers, and Eorlings
--Eorling - attack support, does not attack, but has a Horn of Eorlingas
-Sanctuary - built by Elven Guardian
--Pathfinder - lorien scout unit, detects invisible units
--Priest - noldor healer, does not attack
--Hobelar - silvan cavalry, good against other cavalry
-Ent Moot - built by Elven Guardian
--Huorn - tank beast, absorbs damage and causes fear
--Elder Ent - support beast, can hide units and weaken enemies
-Farmhouse - generates supplies. can train farm animals to generate additional supplies
-Garrison - generates command. can garrison infantry to have a ranged attack
-Lone Tower - heals nearby allies

Leaders
-Mordor Commander - leader of mordor, good at overwhelming enemies
-Isengard Chieftain - leader of isengard, good at leading assaults
-Wicked Warlord - leader of wicked men, good at weakening enemy ranks
Units and Buildings
-Spire of Mordor - increases power, allows structures to be built around it
-Spire of Isengard - increases power, allows structures to be built around it
-Spire of the Wicked - increases power, allows structures to be built around it
-Bastion - built by Mordor commander
--Warrior - orc warrior, spawns in pairs. Gains speed when attacked
--Barrow-wight - spectre, good infiltrator
--Catapult - basic siege machine
-Troll Ward - built by Mordor commander
--Attack Troll - tank beast
--Drummer Troll - support beast, causes fear
-Uruk-hai Pit - built by Isengard Chieftain
--Lancer - heavy uruk infantry. Good at spearheading attacks
--Arbalester - heavy uruk archer. Powerful but slow attack
--Berserker - one-man army. Good against groups of infantry
-Siege Factory - built by Isengard Chieftain
--Scout - scout uruk. Can be upgraded to a Sapper
--Siegebreaker - deadly battering ram, attacks structures only
-Outpost - built by Wicked Warlord
--Skirmisher - haradrim infantry, good against cavalry and can go into stealth
--Halberder - heavy pikemen of Rhun
--Corsair - raid unit of Umbar. Good at hindering enemies
-Beastiary - built by Wicked Warlord
--Giant Spider - ambusher and swarm unit
--Mumakil - heavy beast. Can mount Haradrim archers on its back
-Slaughterhouse - generates supplies. can sacrifice units for more supplies
-Bulwark - generates command. absorbs damage dealt to units behind the bulwark
-Watch Tower - attacks units. Can summon Spies (crows that detect invisible units)

War of the Ring is a real-time strategy map. It takes inspiration from Battle for Middle Earth and WarCraft 3 in terms of gameplay. These mechanics make up the unique gameplay of this map:
Leader Units - takes inspiration from WarCraft 3's heroes. After the map is loaded, you are prompted to choose which faction you will play as (Forces of Good or Evil). Depending on which faction you pick, you will spawn with three leaders, one representing each sub-faction. These leaders are not as strong stat-wise as Wc3 heroes, and they can only learn abilities by building structures that generate power, and learning abilities costs supplies. The leaders are also the builders of your race, they construct every building. However, some troop production buildings can only be built by a specific leader. Leaders can be revived from any statue/spire.
Resources - Supplies replaces gold. Supplies are generated by certain buildings (slaughterhouses and farmhouses). Power replaces lumber, but is totally different. Power unlocks hero abilities and some unit upgrades. You can increase your Power by building statues/spires. Command replaces food as the army cap.
Power structures - Statues and Spires increase power, but they also act like pylons from StarCraft 2; you may only build other buildings near the Statue or Spire. Structures without a nearby power structure will cease to function. Power structures have the Recall ability, which teleports a number of units in a circle to the base to defend. Using Recall costs supplies, and Recall has a long cooldown, so do not use this ability without care.
Strategic Points - there are preset points on the map where your leaders can build statues/spires on. When built on these Strategic Points, spires/statues will generate supplies just like a farmhouse/slaughterhouse would.
Morale - adds a new depth of gameplay. Now rather than killing the enemy, you can simply enslave them to your bidding. Most infantry have morale (represented by mana). When morale reaches zero, units will become 'Lost', they are handed to neutral passive, and leaders can choose to capture them (gaining control) or execute them (kills them, and gains supplies from the kill). Some units cause fear (eg. trolls and huorns), and they are good at draining enemy morale, but there are also units that boost morale (like Bannermen and Eorlings) that counter these units.
The One Ring - the One Ring encourages map control and awareness of the players. The One Ring spawns at the centre of the map, atop a volcano. Units can carry this ring, and if so, the ring will grant extraordinary powers to the player. But this comes with a drawback as well; the ring-bearer is visible to all players (including enemies), and the ring can only be carried for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, the Ring will reset to the centre of the map, and kill the ring-bearer in the process. In this way, the One Ring is not only a massive boost to your forces, but can also be a massive drawback that needs to be handled carefully.

attachment.php

I will be making this map open source, in GUI, so other mappers can see what's inside it. If you take resources from this map, you must give credit to the author(s) of the resources. I'll also attach everything I make, so in case I quit this project, the resources I've made can still be used. You can find the resources in post 2 of this thread.

To do list:
-make teh ui - done
-make teh terrain - getting a basic concept
-make teh models
-make teh object editoring
-finish up the map

To support this project, copy and paste the following below into your signature:
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/war-ring-221272//"][IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/176529-albums5109-picture60917.png[/IMG][/URL]

Attachments

• wotr.png
    wotr.png
    94 KB · Views: 3,658
Last edited:
This post is for all the resources I have made whilst doing this project. I prefer sharing resources because
-it benefits the community
-in case i give up on this project, my resources won't go to waste
-in case i lose my files, i can download them from here

I give you permission to use/edit my resources to any extent, so long as you give credit to me.

Attachments

• WotR 0.1.w3x
    773.5 KB · Views: 618
  • UI.rar
    291.6 KB · Views: 1,223
Last edited:
Level 8
Looks great, I really like the whole gold-ish color theme it has, really gives it a LotR-like feeling.

Anyway, will also download and try it, but just wondering, does it say "War of the Ring" on the day/night cycle-thingy in the uploaded version too? If so, permission to edit it and remove that? :p

unfortunately none of them have a use for me.
the elven units are
-pathfinder, who is a silvan elf from mirkwood
-priest, who does not have weapons or a helm
-hobelar, who is a mounted silvan elf from lorien
-guardian, who is mounted on a steed

they also clash with my art style.

i'll be working on the terrain.
in the mean time if you have any queries about gameplay, feel free to ask me about:
-leader units
-resources
-the power system
-strategic points
-the morale system
-the One Ring

Power system - Power is the secondary resource that replaces lumber. Power is a unique resource that you only gain once you finish building a power building (power buildings are Statues and Spires, see the faction techtrees for more details). When a power building is built, you instantly gain 3 Power. You start with 3 Power at the beginning of the match. To learn hero abilities, you must pay 1 Power. All upgrades cost at least 1 Power, some units will also cost Power. NOTE: Power is NOT periodically generated by power buildings, you only gain 3 power once they are built, and you must build more to get more Power. Power buildings also are similar to Protoss Pylons from Sc2, as buildings will only function when near a power building.

Strategic points - preset neutral buildings on the map. You can capture them, and upgrade them into a power building. Strategic points generate supplies.

The One Ring - the One Ring appears at the centre of the map at fixed intervals. It can be carried by any infantry or leader. The One Ring can be carried for 2 minutes max, after which it will kill the ring-bearer (the current carrier of the ring) and disappear. The One Ring reveals the position of the ring-bearer to all enemy players. It can be dropped by units on death, but not on command. It can however be given to another unit controlled by the same player. The player who controls the ring-bearer, gains access to powerful units and abilities depending on their faction. The Ring will also grant Power. The One Ring appears in the centre of the map 3 minutes after the start of the game, and (after being carried for 2 minutes) will reappear at the centre of the map every 3 minutes.

unfortunately none of them have a use for me.
the elven units are
-pathfinder, who is a silvan elf from mirkwood
-priest, who does not have weapons or a helm
-hobelar, who is a mounted silvan elf from lorien
-guardian, who is mounted on a steed

they also clash with my art style.

i'll be working on the terrain.
in the mean time if you have any queries about gameplay, feel free to ask me about:
-leader units
-resources
-the power system
-strategic points
-the morale system
-the One Ring

Ok, well i figured as much, though they might still be of interrest of other tolkien fans who are following your thread. :)

I really like the power system btw, it was kinda meh until i read about the capture points and how they work together. The mechanics behind the ring also seem quite interresting.

@fingolfin: yes, the ring encourages map control and timing. but it also isn't just a straight up bonus, as it will reveal the ring-bearer and kill it after the time. should encourage some unique strategies.
also power buildings don't have to be built from strategic points, your leaders can build them, but they do not generate gold.

@waffleking: add it to your sig then :3

bomp

layout of the terrain. the black circles with red dots are all the strategic points (the ones with black spikes around them are starting locations). the red paths are the viable paths between each strategic point. the yellow dot in the centre is where the One Ring will spawn. the one ring lies atop a mountain, and is surrounded by snow, rocky hills, and forest.

each quadrant represents rohan (top left), gondor (bot left), isengard (top right), and mordor (bot right). top left has grassy, hilly land. bot left also has grasslands, but they are more flat, and often have snow. top right is pretty much the same as rohan, but with more trees. bot right is on dark land, and with dead trees (represented by squiggly dark green lines).
quadrants are aesthetic; they do not affect which faction you choose, and your faction does not affect where you spawn.

attachment.php

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 386
i'm think i'm gonna make a pre-game menu first, where you can select and gain information about your faction (good/evil). the menu will be made in gui using trackables xD

Dunno if you ever saw my total war map, but it has a menu if this kind in it.. could be fun to check out if you should ever be interested.
Posted the map here.

Well, the system is all vJass and very interweaved with the other systems of the map so i don't know if it would do any better then. Still, i was just thinking incase you needed any tips or advice. The struct that deals with all the trackable data for instance is almost a neccesity for using trackables at all, and there are some models that i use for different buttons and other menu objects that you might have use for.

wip of the ingame menu

attachment.php

on the left will be the factions. in the centre it will show what the other players are choosing/have chosen. on the right will be an info panel that will show information when you hover the cursor over a faction or player. left-clicking one of the icons will select the faction. the top icon (tree of gondor) represents the forces of good, the middle represents random (random race selection), the bottom (evil) represents the forces of evil.

Attachments

• menuprev1.png
    menuprev1.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 432
Status
Not open for further replies.