1. The contestants were to create water structures for the 20th Terraining Contest. Choose one in the public poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

VJass environment?

Discussion in 'The Lab' started by Astrella, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I remember JassCraft and such being a thing in the past but what's the common tool used to code in VJass these days? I know the World Editor itself allows it but I'd like something with a bit more functionality. :p

2. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  3. Sir Moriarty

Sir Moriarty

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unfortunately, there's not much in the way of alternative WE options like JNGP or WEX anymore, since neither work on the newest patches, and waiting for anything from Blizzard is like watching paint dry.

Like Purge mentioned, if you want an out-of-WE experience, you can use Wurst. If you insist on using vJASS or Zinc for whatever reason, there's a little trick you can do to use your code editor of choice.

1. Go to your WC3 directory, and find the JassHelper directory
    2. Edit jasshelper.conf
    3. Add a section called [lookupfolders] and under it, add a quoted path to where your project files will be, e.g.
    Code (Text):

[lookupfolders]
    "C:\work\code\mymap\vjass"

4. Create an empty trigger in your map and convert it to custom text. Replace the code with
    Code (vJASS):

//! import init.j

5. In your project folder, create a file with the same name, "init.j". This will be your "entry point.", where you can basically do anything you want - include other files, or just write libraries/triggers like you normally would in vJASS.
    6. Now when you save your map, all the code from init.j (and whatever it includes) will be imported into your map.

Alternatively, if you want to use Zinc instead of vJASS, you can use "//! import zinc init.zn"

You can see an example of this approach in a map I used to develop here:
    SamuelMoriarty/Yet-Another-RolePlay

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I do not see how anyone can work with vjass on the latest patch, the lack of syntax highlighting is way too important for me.

I am biased but wurst is pretty much the only remotely viable option.
    Unless you are willing to play on 1.29, in which case you can go vjass.

5. Pinzu

Pinzu

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Notepad++ set to use C# language. Do save your files as backup, in case you copy over something (CTRL-Z doesn't quite work as you except in the script editor)...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  6. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There is a syntax highlighter for sublime 3. Which is what I use. Not super convenient, but programming wc3 really never was

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well if coding in vjass in the standard editor was 1/10 then coding in notepad++ has to be -10/10

If you use visual studio code with the wurst toolchain you can at the very least.
    1. Automatically Inject the code into the map without copy paste
    2. Test/launch the map from your text editor
    Note that this does not require you to write in wurst ;P but you'll use the wurst extension for the launch and build tasks.

8. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you all for the detailed explanations. :)

And yeah; that's basically the problem. I knew very little about programming when I did my first bout of mapping 10 years ago, but now I'm in a Java Course and dabbled in other stuff as well and IDEs just add a lot of useful features. And we never really got much documentation for JASS from Blizzard either so it's a bit of adjusting back into that mindset coming from the super detailed Java API.