• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Village Defender v1.10a

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
VD

VILLAGE DEFENDER

204270-albums4725-picture46895.jpg

Village defender is not only a tower defense in a sense. You have units to help you in your quest to defend the village primarily the Arcane Observatory. Your units are villagers who are willing to defend the village.
Enemies attack every 50 seconds. In levels 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 a boss attacks together with the creeps assigned to those levels. Starting from level 11 onwards, creeps have abilities. What makes this different from other tower defense is that all creep levels attack and their damage is increasing in every level. See Creep Table for details about creeps.
Finish the game without cheating. It is the only way to prove how good[/indent] your strategy is. Your strategy should include managing your gold, lumber, upgrades, towers to build, and villagers to train. You must also include which hero should you choose to own.

UNITS

units
Units are trained in the villager's House Tent.
1. Carpenter - The carpenter is your primary unit that has the ability to construct buildings and towers. He can also repair
damaged structures. The carpenter is invulnerable.

2. Workers - You can hire workers from the Villager's Tent. They can harvest gold and lumber and repair structures, but do not have the
ability to build structures.

3. Male Villager - The basic male fighter who has the critical strike ability and envenomed spears. Both abilities can be upgraded in the
villager's house of upgrades. A male villager can have a summon horse ability as bestowed on him by the healer.

4. Female Villager - This villager has the critical strike ability that can be upgraded in the villager's House of upgrades.

5. The Healer - The Healer is a very special unit in the game. Aside from the Polymorph, heal, and Inner Fire abilities, she is the only unit
that can create a new ability to the male villager.

6. Special Units - Special units include the footman, captain and knight. These units are not included in versions 1.4 - 1.7 and other versions to come.

TOWERS

To defend the village, you should build towers. The basic tower that is built by the carpenter is the scout tower, a tower that cannot attack
enemies. Scout Tower can be upgraded to Guard Tower or Arcane Tower (See Towers Techtree and Upgrades). Another tower that can be built by the carpenter
is the guardian tower level 1 that can be upgraded into 4 more levels.

BUILDINGS

buildings
Buildings are built by the carpenter except for the altar of kings. Altar of kings is an upgrade of the Farm.

1. Farm - Provides 30 food which increases the maximum number of units that can be trained. Also attacks land and air units.
2. Villager's Tent - Trains villagers.
3. Villager's House of Upgrades - Upgrades units and recieve gathered resources. The available upgrades in this building are Scrolls, Improved range, Chaos,
villager's courage, villager's armor, improved masonry, healer's adept training, envenomed spears, markmanship, and improved lumber harvesting.
4. Arcane Vault - You can buy items for your hero and other units with inventory in this building.
5. Altar of Kings - Here, you can summon a hero of your choice. You are only going to have one hero.
6. Altar of the depths - To upgrade your tidal guardians to level 4 and level 5, you have to build a farm and upgrade it
into tha altar of the depths. (available only in version 1.7 to the latest versions).

ITEMS

Items can be bought from the Arcane Observatory or from the Village Merchant. (Village Merchant is only available in versions 1.5 to the latest versions)
204270-albums4725-picture46893.jpg

204270-albums4725-picture46892.jpg

Some items presented here have come to changes from versions 1.8 to 1.10.

HEROES

204270-albums4725-picture46894.jpg

CREEPS

Different kind of creeps attack the village to destroy the Arcane Observatory.
204270-albums4725-picture46889.jpg

204270-albums4725-picture46890.jpg

BOSS

204270-albums4725-picture46891.jpg

CREDITS

THANKS TO:

General Frank for the Titan Lord and BloodElf Hero; Tarrasque for the tidal Lord; CloudWolf; Sellenisko for the demon hunter and malygos; paladinjst for the guard helmet, guard shield and mounted villager man; Sunchips for the black dragon scale mail and dwarven axe; chilla-killa for the haunted sword; Gottfrei for the plague doctor; Debode for Mr. Goblin's Stall I used as Village Merchant; and the maker of Lightning Strike.

CHANGE LOGS

CHANGES:

version 1.0 - 25 levels;
version 1.1 - 32 Levels,
version 1.2 - 40 Levels, Boss Spawns in Levels 10, 20, 30, and 40, New Villager added;
version 1.3 - 40 levess, Boss spawn in levels 10 20 30 and 40, with AI
version 1.4 - 40 levels, all villagers, horse-friend villager cannot be trained in villager's tent but becomes a new unit from a villager (male)
version 1.5 - 50 levels, all villagers, horse-friend villager now called a rider, a village merchant for new items, some changes on gold and lumber acquisition from killed creeps.
version 1.6 - difficulty levels to select.
version 1.7 - few changes on the gameplay, game commands added;
version 1.8 - 60 levels to finish.
version 1.9 - Sylvanas is replaced with the Demon Hunter. New Hero - BloodElf Hero.
version 1.10 - (1.) Added ability to the Rider. (2.) Fixed the texts regarding Map Description to help a player understand the game better. (3.) Added text message for the player at the start of the game.
Keywords:
Defense, Arcane, observatory
Contents

Village Defender v1.10a (Map)

Reviews
22:07, 24th Jul 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected Comment
Level 1
Kl3sk Reviews : Village Defender
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version : 1.10a
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Type : Hybrid (Tower / Castle Defense)

Description : (2/5)

Three words : wall of text. It's as if the hidden tags are a new concept for people nowadays...use them, please. While you detail your map quite well, the average Hive user must not be discouraged by what appears to be a novel of epic proportions. A potential player will read what he is interested in, and thus, you should put tags with every section you cover ; This also includes screenshots (that work now by the way).

In-Game Review

Terrain

Terrain for either TDs, Hero defense and such doesn't matter much, but even when you screw up something as simple as keeping the same tile-set on hills and slopes, you know terraining isn't your thing. I hope I'm pretty accurate when I say that 90% of the map is flat and most of it is covered with trees...*yey*...and the middle section is where you'll find "the village" which consists of an Observatory , a couple of doodads, neutral shops and whatnot, but it all seems to be a big mess. I don't want to sound like a smart-ass but be honest : did you spend more than 5 minutes on the terrain ? ; It's poor terrain even for this type of map (2/5)

Models

Basic W3 models, nothing new, (except maybe the addition of a mountable horse?) but I did notice the custom Diablo model in one creep wave...why so random ? (N/A)

Icons

Again, the basics along with more random custom ones for upgrades and some items, but can't say the same thing for the towers. (N/A)

Skills

The "mount" ability reminds me of the classic one for Night Elves. Apart from that, it seems you really love your W3 basics. Just a thought though : The "Slam" ability one tower has (Flame Tower?) not only makes no sense, but in its description it is implied the skill would require and drain 90 mana. This does not happen. (2/5)

Misc

This section I'll dedicate to the word "tool-tip". Your towers have none. I find this unacceptable. I cannot play a map not knowing if the next upgrade I make to my Guard tower will leave me vulnerable to either air or ground creep waves. Damage output / type, Attack Speed, Default Ability, Upgradeable Abilities / Skills, Whether or not the tower attacks land or air units (or both) etc. < -- This is what I want to know before either purchasing, or upgrading a tower. In a map of this genre, your ultimate flaw is not know what you're doing...which brings me to V game-play V (0/5)

Game-Play

Sadly, it seems I've learned my lesson in having any hopes for a good game without considering the implications. The major implication is disappointment. I started the game thinking it will be memorable even in the slightest. I was wrong. The "intro", so-to-speak, is nice and reminds me of most PC arcade games in the 90s, the announcer does a great job getting you "pumped up", but the following minutes spent playing aren't what you'd expect them to be. To get to the point, I'll simply point out things I consider *fuck-ups* :

- Game starts (solo) : how should one know where the creep waves spawn first ? I took a random guess and thought they'd come from the right and set up shop there, leading to my defeat.

- After this trial and error session : how should one know what every structure does if it doesn't have a tool-tip and / or description ? This is not only confusing but in the long run it's counterproductive. Major fail on this part.

- Looking at some requirements : how should one know you need to train a Sorceress , upgrade her magic training in a specific building, train a male unit from a separate building, select the Sorceress after the upgrade, use the "Mount" skill on the trained male unit and finally - MOUNT THAT DAMN HORSE! - ... if it all sounds confusing for everyone, it's because it is. And take note : having a mounted male unit or "Rider" was one of the requirements for building a certain tower...which I never got to build because apparently there is no ALTAR that the carpenter (basic worker unit that builds towers , etc.) can build. So, it wasn't enough that the learning curve for one of the easiest map types / genres in existence was so damn crazy, but now, I come to a complete halt because I am supposed to build a structure that doesn't exist in this game. Did I miss anything ? I mean really, please tell me I'm nuts and I accidentally pressed the wrong button at a given time, or overlooked something, I don't know, I just can't accept such a cluster-f*ck of fails in one single map!

Anyway, the towers themselves are few in number, standard, dull and bring nothing new. Same attack animations, same concept, same names : Watch tower, "Splash" Tower, Flame Tower, Arcane Tower... The creep waves are also a downer : all units have a huge movement speed that makes them a hard target for Fire / Splash towers as they are slow and even damage themselves at close range. Anyway, I have a saying about W3 maps : If at any given point you start to forget the meaning of the term "fun", you know there's a problem ; And I'll stick to that.

In short : From the missing tool-tips, to the unnecessary and absurd expectations that any individual would know what they're doing without anything to guide them, I personally find this map an atrocity.

Do I recommend Tower / Castle Defense fans to play this ? : No

Do I recommend non-Tower / Castle Defense fans to play this : No

Will I play this map again : No

Final verdict : Rejected (1/5) * unacceptable

Foot-note : To the author - I tried to see the bright side of your map, but there just wasn't any pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I think you should severely increase your attention to detail even at the most basic level : that of text. If anyone will play this map after this review (in its current state), they will be confused, bored and will have little interest in ever playing a second time. I am not insinuating you didn't work on this map at all, but the amount of effort it would take you to get it playable (at least in a decent state) is considerably high given it does not meet the Hive's quality standard even at its minimum level.

I recommend you scrap Village Defender and start over.